[TV] 9/11 - BBC1 doc just started

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Yes - I was amazed by the calibre of contributors they secured. Normally it is marginal players looking for a pay day but with limited knowledge of events. The fact they managed to get detailed interviews with the former President plus heads of his security detail and CIA folk and the White House ops team etc is huge kudos and gave a fascinating perspective on events and our modern history.

I forgot it was on last night, so will definitely be catching up with it at some point this week.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
I watched this last night and despite my overall belief the BBC is in desperate need of an overhaul/remodel, this was an excellent documentary.

Not only were the interviewees top quality but there was (thankfully) a complete lack of melodrama or gimmicks.

The mere thought of C5 et al taking this on make me feel a bit sick….

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Was at work in Leatherhead when the news started filtering through. Back then the internet wasn't what it is now so remember crowding round a monitor to see small video footage.

Then went off to the Southampton match, which was a strange experience. In the immediate aftermath you didn't know if it was an isolate incident or the start of a prolonged campaign.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Took a day off work to have a Carpet Fitter in, was making him a coffee when the news came through.

I actually don't know why I had the TV on that morning but I do remember thinking that the USA won't fvck around now, it is probably going to be nukes all over the Middle East and what will the Russians do then? Didn't sleep much that night.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The one the day before where there were individual testaments of survivors and that was a very hard watch!

There was a shot of the fire people standing around watching a body falling out the sky and the sound of it hitting the ground was truly sickening. And the poor woman whose husband, also a emergency services worker, was killed when he was hit by a falling body and she explained just what happened to him.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
The one the day before where there were individual testaments of survivors and that was a very hard watch!

There was a shot of the fire people standing around watching a body falling out the sky and the sound of it hitting the ground was truly sickening. And the poor woman whose husband, also a emergency services worker, was killed when he was hit by a falling body and she explained just what happened to him.

I watched Surviving 9/11 on iPlayer. Like you say it was a hard watch. It was interesting that some of the interviewees were quite critical of various aspects of 9/11. Like the woman whose husband was one of the pilots on the United Airlines flight which crashed in Pennsylvania after passengers stormed the cockpit. They showed a clip of Bush praising Todd Beamer for his courage in storming the cockpit, but she said it was almost as if the flight crew and other passengers had been airbrushed out of history. Also there was a woman in the USAF who said those passengers would never have been put in that position if the intelligence services had been doing their job.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
It’s amazing how there weren’t more than 3000 deaths

I had forgotten that Putin and Bush called a truce with Putin cancelling military practice

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
It was a memorable day on many levels, for me. It was the day that I was moving the last of my things from our place in Storrington and moving back to a flat in Hove, following the (not-so-amicable) break-up of a 5 year relationship with my (then) girlfriend.
I had driven over there early morning and we stopped for a while, for a coffee and popped the TV on. The scenes were shocking, and we sat glued to the screen for hour upon hour, all thoughts of the move put on hold.
I ended up staying with her for another day or two, as she was in bits - she was an American and it hit her so hard.
It kind of put things into perspective and we parted a few days later, probably closer than we'd been for a couple of years.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I was on a yacht in the Solent all day, with a bunch of us all doing our Day Skipper tests. No radio, TV or phones, we were completely unaware of what was going on.

Got back into the dock at Portsmouth at sunset, and once we’d tidied up all headed out to find a pub in a great mood to have a few celebratory beers.

And then we discovered we were in a ghost town. There was no-one around. It was eerie. After a short while we learned the news, and all became clear…

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I made a complete idiot of myself a "few" years later.

Flew to New York and couldn't understand why the plane was so empty. Stewardess said there are three seats at the back if you fancy a lie down (lovely BA) which I did.

Got to New York, a huge Police presence and somewhat more USA flags at the airport as expected.

I ask at the passport cheque what was going on ?

"Anniversary of 9/11 Sir"

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I watched Surviving 9/11 on iPlayer. Like you say it was a hard watch. It was interesting that some of the interviewees were quite critical of various aspects of 9/11. Like the woman whose husband was one of the pilots on the United Airlines flight which crashed in Pennsylvania after passengers stormed the cockpit. They showed a clip of Bush praising Todd Beamer for his courage in storming the cockpit, but she said it was almost as if the flight crew and other passengers had been airbrushed out of history. Also there was a woman in the USAF who said those passengers would never have been put in that position if the intelligence services had been doing their job.

People on terrorist watchlists openly learning how to fly airliners in Florida.

Although we couldn't have dreamt of 9/11's events, the world was used to plane hijackings and had seen various other Islamic threats in the 90's.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Just watched it. At the time, Bush was thought a bit of a joke President, not really up to the job. But compare him to Trump, and it’s literally terrifying - imagine if the Orange bungle**** had been in charge on 9/11.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

The shocking thing from yesterday’s programme is that the hyjackers/ terrorists were on the no fly list that the CIA had according to the director, but no one spotted it when they got on

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I'm currently watching it and wondering who took all the intimate/reaction pictures from the plane and the bunker, is there a rule/law that states a photographer must be in the room for history purposes?

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm currently watching it and wondering who took all the intimate/reaction pictures from the plane and the bunker, is there a rule/law that states a photographer must be in the room for history purposes?

The WH has always had in-house photographers, capturing moments in history.

[According to wiki, JFK started this, in 1961. Before that, random photos were taken by military photographers].

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I watched it unfold....on NSC. [MENTION=189]Wozza[/MENTION] posted stills (a technical feat beyond me at the time).

Overnight we (the US and then the rest of us) went from complacency and ignorance to war footing. Twenty years, and no let up on security checks at airports, 50 ml of tootpaste in a clear plastic bag, etc.

And an image nobody will ever forget. The diving man. I won't post it. Even I have boundaries.

RIP

Last edited:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
The WH has always had in-house photographers, capturing moments in history.

[According to wiki, JFK started this, in 1961. Before that, random photos were taken by military photographers].
[emoji106]

Marlton and Hove Albion

Oct 11, 2018
Sarasota FL
FWIW - On 10th Sept I was in WTC1 for a meeting around 3pm. A massive storm blew in - lightning, thunder, rain obscured the windows. After the meeting, down to the PATH station and off home. Next day, I flew to Chicago on American Airlines around 730am. Was a very long and muddled day resulting in finally exiting the aircraft in Chicago around Noon and driving the 800 miles home with 3 strangers (coincidentally passing close to Schwenksville on the way). I was the final driver and got home around 2am. The next day, I got a call from the FBI as one of the hijackers had booked his one-way F class ticket using one of our online booking tools. Looking back in the logs, 3 of them had actually booked a few weeks earlier for a dry run.

RIP to all of the poor souls but mostly Robert Eaton (Ricky Marlows Hair Piece). Gone but never forgotten.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I'll watch it again tomorrow. Tried this afternoon but there were too many interruptions. It is however an excellent piece of work by the BBC yet again. One thing jumped out at me when they were discussing the Russians - one of the interviewees referred to them as the Soviets!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports