Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
You disagree strongly that Leeds are miles bigger than us? You were telling me we'd struggle to sell 12000 season tickets in that first season at the Amex so I'm not sure why you think only two years later that we are anywhere close in size to a club with the third highest number of affiliated fan club members in the country. Leeds have fans everywhere.

im afraid your wasting your time,cant beleive some of the comments,clearly have no idea,leeds have a much bigger fanbase,have quality away support,bigger ground and bigger trophy room,but that doesnt matter to the rose tinted bha fans on here

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I know that. I wasn't making a direct comparison because anyone that does is foolish. Just the same that anyone who suggests Leeds are a bigger club than us just because of the support. They are a bigger club but that is because of their history.

Not sure why some people are falling over themselves about the away support of another team!!!
As a fan of Cup competitions who would quite happily sacrifice league points for Cup victories I'm genuinely pleased that at least some clubs care. We don't, and lying to ourselves that we could do the same in comparable circumstances isn't good! And we call Leeds fans deluded!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
What a bizarre discussion. To my mind, I can't see many would disagree with...

- Leeds being a bigger club than the Albion. (Yes, I know 'bigness' is difficult to define, but all football fans are able to give a quick A > B when asked about 2 teams)
- Leeds travel in numbers far in excess of the Albion, and most other clubs for that matter.
- Albion's away support is certainly decent - better than some and worse than some. Probably above average, all things considered.
- Albion's home support is excellent. The Amex effect? The ease of Direct Debit payments? A community starved of decent footballing facilities for a long time? Probably all of those and more, but Albion's home support will be the envy of all but about 10-12 clubs across the entire football league.
Yep, all of this.

A comparison with Leeds is the sort of thread you might expect to find on a Newcastle United board. Finding it on our board is rather like seeing a thread on a Walsall board discussing whether or not they are bigger than us.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
When was the last time leeds played Newcastle away ? Or any premier league team away in the cup ?

Errrmmmm in recent seasons they've been to Arsenal, Tottenham, Man United and Cithe. I sit opposite a Leeds fan at work and it seems every cup draw they always get a plum draw away from home.

They do have an amazing away following though. 3k to a midweek game in the hell hole that is Reading is very impressive.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
What I was saying is that Leeds fans do not form the predominant populous of Yorkshire, [North, West, or South (or as it should be North, East or West Riding)].
It does have to be said that Leeds are a big club & much like Man. United, Arsenal, Spurs etc have a large following that is not restricted by geographical location or place of birth. Leeds is a dormant giant that once the finances are sorted out will challenge at the highest levels of the domestic game if not in Europe (much as I hate to admit that being a Yorkshireman who hates Leeds with a passion having had to put up with the arrogance of their fans for many years in the good times).

Spot on. It pains me to admit it but they are the biggest club in Yorkshire. UTO

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I hat this 'big club' rubbish. Leeds have great away support. We have great support for big away matches but Leeds will take a very good number to all games. But their home support is variable and reflects their thin performance in recent years.

A couple of historical snippets below:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Leeds United were formed when their previous incarnation - Leeds City - were forcibly disbanded by The Football League in 1919 in response to allegations of financial irregularities regarding illegal payments to players during the First World War. Sound familiar?

The Albion had a serious Cup rivalry with Leeds City, beating them 3-1 at Leeds in 1910 to which 300 Brighton supporters travelled with the team by special train. When they got back to Brighton station at 145am there was a crowd of 2,000 fans who rushed the train and carried their heroes shoulder-high out of the station. 'Bullet' Jones scored twice (thanks to Tim Carder and Roger Harris's book Seagulls!).

PG

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I disagree strongly.

They have amazing away support every other week - that is indisputable.

They also have a very fickle, only-come-out-for-the-big-games home support every other week.

This with bells on.

A point proven this very season. Opening game at Elland Rd v the Albion (the first post-Bates game) - 33,000+
The following home game 2 weeks later v Sheff Wednesday, a Yorkshire derby - 23,000

Quite how you lose more than 33% of your gate between the 1st and 3rd game of the season I have not the foggiest. OK the Wednesday game was on telly (obviously, as Sky do tend to show Leeds about 44 times a season), but even allowing for that, thats a maHOOsive drop in attendence from one home game to the next.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
im afraid your wasting your time,cant beleive some of the comments,clearly have no idea,leeds have a much bigger fanbase,have quality away support,bigger ground and bigger trophy room,but that doesnt matter to the rose tinted bha fans on here

Well that's it. To some cheerleaders on this site, a new ground and high gates can undue the past 100 odd years. You won't convince those on hear that there are bigger clubs in this division. But ultimately does it really matter?

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012

Exactly. You can see why some of our fans are really starting to grate with other teams supporters nowadays. Let's see us maintain current Amex crowds for the next ten years, then we can boast.

Feb 14, 2010
I hat this 'big club' rubbish. Leeds have great away support. We have great support for big away matches but Leeds will take a very good number to all games. But their home support is variable and reflects their thin performance in recent years.

A couple of historical snippets below:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Leeds United were formed when their previous incarnation - Leeds City - were forcibly disbanded by The Football League in 1919 in response to allegations of financial irregularities regarding illegal payments to players during the First World War. Sound familiar?

The Albion had a serious Cup rivalry with Leeds City, beating them 3-1 at Leeds in 1910 to which 300 Brighton supporters travelled with the team by special train. When they got back to Brighton station at 145am there was a crowd of 2,000 fans who rushed the train and carried their heroes shoulder-high out of the station. 'Bullet' Jones scored twice (thanks to Tim Carder and Roger Harris's book Seagulls!).

PG

Leeds are a big club, mainly because the kids in the 60's and 70s when they were a big club are in their 40s and 50s now, and Leeds were good in the 1990s/2000s.As a result they have fans all over the country. Totally agree tho' that history of football did not start with the Premier League, or Bob Paisley, or Don Revie, or George Best, or Stanley Mathews or Billy Wright, no it goes all the way back to the start of football and you know our very own BHA won the Charity Shield in 1910 when it was a competition between the winners of the two major leagues in the country to become unofficial Champions of England. Wolves, Blackpool and many clubs have been big clubs. Leeds have a bigger support than us but get smaller crowds than us. As for travelling support, they both travel in great numbers and have fans all over the country because of the 70s, unlike the Shef Wednesdays, who dont travel in great numbers to us, but have instead lots of She W fans living in London and Sussex. The point I make, similar to PG, but no real point, just a series of observations.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Leeds were big back in the 70's

but so were the Bay City Rollers

jemwillett

Feb 17, 2012
Burgess Hill
I have to say that apart from our games with Palace at the Amex i really look forward to our home games with Leeds. This season our match falls on a saturday with them but sadly the same day as the 4th round of the FA cup. I can't see both clubs losing in the 3rd round..

You have just given me some hope. I too love the Leeds at our place. They create a great atmosphere and I am having to miss it. But now....

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Of people above a certain age, Leeds probably have as many supporters in Sussex as we have(ok maybe not quite as many). I would guess they are in the top 5 supported clubs in the country, among people above 45.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
As for travelling support, they both travel in great numbers and have fans all over the country because of the 70s, unlike the Shef Wednesdays, who dont travel in great numbers to us, but have instead lots of She W fans living in London and Sussex. The point I make, similar to PG, but no real point, just a series of observations.

Sheffield Wed have the second highest away support in the division so not sure you can say they don't travel in high numbers to is.

http://www.football-league.co.uk/staticFiles/71/bd/0,,10794~179569,00.pdf

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
That's not the same distance, nor would we take large numbers to a midweek League cup game. Think of Northampton as an equivalent distance.

It's all about how long it takes to get there though. You'd have to give yourself 2 hours to north London from Brighton.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Sheffield Wed have the second highest away support in the division so not sure you can say they don't travel in high numbers to is.

http://www.football-league.co.uk/staticFiles/71/bd/0,,10794~179569,00.pdf

The away support can also depend on travelling distance ie Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday :lolol: could be taking 5,000 on a Tuesday night at Barnsley whereas we would only muster 600. Our away support at London based grounds are normally restricted (For League games I think the most we've been given recently is 3,500 at Charlton)

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
The away support can also depend on travelling distance ie Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday :lolol: could be taking 5,000 on a Tuesday night at Barnsley whereas we would only muster 600. Our away support at London based grounds are normally restricted (For League games I think the most we've been given recently is 3,500 at Charlton)

That is true. Palace and Millwall have small grounds.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here