Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Saw Brighton home to Leeds in a different sport on Saturday. Leeds favourites (tipsters had them down for a comfortable win) but Brighton won it yay! Leeds only brung about 15 fans down, but even Brighton only had 150 tops (disappointing as they usual sell out the 400+ capacity). Good game though.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We most likely would of took 5-6k to Chelsea/Arsenal/Spurs tonight not that impressive.

That's not the same distance, nor would we take large numbers to a midweek League cup game. Think of Northampton as an equivalent distance.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
it's bloody impressive whatever anyone says. think they also took over 3000 to Reading Wednesday night. we wouldn't take that many!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
That's not the same distance, nor would we take large numbers to a midweek League cup game. Think of Northampton as an equivalent distance.

But not an equivalent opponent!

I'm still with Bozza. If you re-sited Chelsea at the exact equivalent distance we might well not hit 6000. The fact that Leeds have just needs respect from fellow fans. But at home WE have a better average attendance and certainly a far more consistent one. You can argue they have a bigger hardcore support than we do and you'd be right but that doesn't get you anywhere under FFP. Perhaps the debate is if that is morally / historically right?

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
In West Yorkshire you have Huddersfield & Bradford who both hate Leeds with a passion.
In North Yorkshire there is York City who have their own following.
Add into this a good proportion of Prem club fans & you are then beginning to see that the majority of the support come from the general Leeds area.
Also take into account that rugby league is the predominant sport for West Yorkshire so the Leeds fans do not make up that great a proportion of the population.

All the above said to take 6000 fans to a stadium over 100 miles from you home ground is a laudable achievement.

so what are you saying, Leeds fans only come from Leeds???

they have lots of following around Yorkshire and beyond

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
The owner of the local off license was telling me the other day about Leeds' days in Europe, the San Siro sounded terrifying

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
How many did we take to Liverpool for a Sunday midday kickoff? Can't remember.

Can't believe the Leeds love in on here, for me history, although its great, is not as important as the present, what makes Leeds currently a bigger club than us? We've finished above them the last 2 seasons. I'd like someone to explain to me what makes then such a supper massive club?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I disagree strongly.

They have amazing away support every other week - that is indisputable.

They also have a very fickle, only-come-out-for-the-big-games home support every other week.

You disagree strongly that Leeds are miles bigger than us? You were telling me we'd struggle to sell 12000 season tickets in that first season at the Amex so I'm not sure why you think only two years later that we are anywhere close in size to a club with the third highest number of affiliated fan club members in the country. Leeds have fans everywhere.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Can't believe the Leeds love in on here, for me history, although its great, is not as important as the present, what makes Leeds currently a bigger club than us? We've finished above them the last 2 seasons. I'd like someone to explain to me what makes then such a supper massive club?

4000 in the FA cup which is a more popular cup competition and on a weekend.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
4000 in the FA cup which is a more popular cup competition and on a weekend.

Im sure it was 6000....True I suppose but a much longer distance. I'm not disputing Leeds probably have a wider and much larger fan base but the way people are going on in this thread it's as if they are a MASSIVE club, they used to be a big club but now they are just a fallen great

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You disagree strongly that Leeds are miles bigger than us? You were telling me we'd struggle to sell 12000 season tickets in that first season at the Amex so I'm not sure why you think only two years later that we are anywhere close in size to a club with the third highest number of affiliated fan club members in the country. Leeds have fans everywhere.

No. I'm disagreeing strongly with "amazing support every week,that is a fact,anyone that disagrees hasnt a scooby3"

Leeds have amazing support - possibly the best in the country - every other week. Away weeks.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Really?
I wouldn't want to walk it, ... and neither would you.

What is particularly impressive is that level of away support for a Mickey Mouse competition.

I'm really not bothered that we are already out of it, and I do genuinely mean that.

Bit presumptuous. How do you know he's not Sir Ian Botham?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Huge fan membership, league titles and FA cups won (historically and in living memory), European appearances, a European cup final and gates well above the average for whatever division they are in.

The fact we've had two seasons averaging above 20k doesn't suddenly make us their equals, sizewise.

But who cares? It's not important is it? I'm comfortable with our 25k crowds and around average away support. It's only where I always believed a club like ours should be.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
No. I'm disagreeing strongly with "amazing support every week,that is a fact,anyone that disagrees hasnt a scooby3"

Leeds have amazing support - possibly the best in the country - every other week. Away weeks.

Ah right. I agree with you there. Leeds home support is bang average for now - years of bang average Ken Bates dirge has seen to that.

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
so what are you saying, Leeds fans only come from Leeds???

they have lots of following around Yorkshire and beyond

What I was saying is that Leeds fans do not form the predominant populous of Yorkshire, [North, West, or South (or as it should be North, East or West Riding)].
It does have to be said that Leeds are a big club & much like Man. United, Arsenal, Spurs etc have a large following that is not restricted by geographical location or place of birth. Leeds is a dormant giant that once the finances are sorted out will challenge at the highest levels of the domestic game if not in Europe (much as I hate to admit that being a Yorkshireman who hates Leeds with a passion having had to put up with the arrogance of their fans for many years in the good times).

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
96 miles, all motorway/dual carriageway. If that's a long way to you you can't get out much.
Bollocks. It's a 200 mile round trip, in midweek to watch a football match in a Cup that no one cares about against a team who are at best a mid-ranking premiership side. Taking it all into account relatively speaking it IS a long way and yes I do get out a lot. Your original comment was wrong.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Im sure it was 6000....True I suppose but a much longer distance. I'm not disputing Leeds probably have a wider and much larger fan base but the way people are going on in this thread it's as if they are a MASSIVE club, they used to be a big club but now they are just a fallen great

It is a bit tragic when some of supporters consider us bigger than the likes of Leeds, Forest and Wednesday.

They are all still big clubs. Bigger than some in the premier league. League position and age of stadium doesn't dictate the size of a club you know.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here