Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

5 Tech products that will be obsolete in 5 years.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I've still got a perfectly good turntable. I also bought a brand new VCR a couple of years ago to play my collection of videos. I use a fax machine daily at work.

Great to see there are like minded people, I'm stuck in the 70's too, great ain't it.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
"low end digital cameras" - your man is talking bollocks on this one. I have a 2007 vintage Sony camera that has superior optics and a better flash than my smartphone. I would confidently predict that a sub £100 camera of today will outperform a smartphone in 5 years.

Exactly this, I've some outlandish claims about the performance of iPhone cameras and entirely agree with your prediction..... I even read an article questioning why one would need to carry a DSLR when you have a smart phone!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
No way will Blu-ray/DVD be dead in 5 years - purely because people still have, and may always have, the desire for physical copies of their media.

Whereas DVD sales are falling every year, Blu-ray sales are increasing. In 5 years time, I would expect DVD sales to be minimal and Blu-Rays to be dominating this market. Considering Blu-Rays are capable of storing 4k resolution media too, it could well be with us for the next 20 years at least.

i think they've got all them wrong. the fax tells the tale of how "obsolete" technologies linger, i've still got a tape deck in my 2000 car and reports of the death of vinyl have greatly exaggerated. calling bluray and DVD as dead in 5 years make me wonder if the author knows anything about technology.

I agree with both of these. What a complete crock of poo.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
3DTV is in all probability the future of cinema and broadcasting, it won't become obsolete - but emerging technologies are now making it possible to view 3D image on screens without the need for the glasses, which has been the major obstacle up until now. So over the next decade we should expect 3D to become as common as HD is today.

That would be logical, but it seems whenever it comes up on here, the people who have it already seem rather ambivalent about it, and not just re the glasses I think. If it was a tech that was going to become the norm, I would expect people to rave about it, but I don't recall anybody doing that at all.

Now, I do see flexible, curved screens etc. becoming more common, almost like wallpaper.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I've just bought myself a Blu-Ray player so I can't see myself not wanting to buy physical media any time soon (I still only buy CDs too). That said, I have mainly used it for Netflix so far.

Tumble dryers (ok maybe not 5 yrs but...).

Erm, really?

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
image.jpg

Flat Screen tv's once these curved ones become cheap enough.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Is Netflix really that good? Every time I've tried it they haven't got any films I want to watch (admittedly I'm fussy about films I watch and have to check parental guidance on IMDB first)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Cheapest a cool £4999.99 :eek: Start saving those pennies.
In 2000, I remember walking into Dixons in Colliers Wood and seeing a 36" flat screen on sale. The price was £12,000.

It doesn't take long for new technology to reach critical mass and for prices to absolutely plummet.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Is Netflix really that good? Every time I've tried it they haven't got any films I want to watch (admittedly I'm fussy about films I watch and have to check parental guidance on IMDB first)

It's great for catching on TV programmes - we used it for Breaking Bad and the US version of The Killing, for example. But it's terrible for films, most of them are of the "straight to DVD" variety - we've had Netflix for about 18 months and have seen, I think, three films from it - pretty much all there is worth watching

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Give it 5 years, you'll be able to pick up flexible plastic versions for £500.

I'd be tempted at that price. :thumbsup:

In 2000, I remember walking into Dixons in Colliers Wood and seeing a 36" flat screen on sale. The price was £12,000.

It doesn't take long for new technology to reach critical mass and for prices to absolutely plummet.

I'm waiting, like you say it won't take that long. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here