Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

5 live coverage

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
i thought the coverage was brilliant, Pleat must be taking a tug on the crack pipe between comments, talking about water etc....., Claridge is much more comfortable on the radio then the box although he can't seem to hold a view without contradicting it within 5 minutes, commentator was superb, balanced and knowledgable

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Steve Claridge has made a point of watching us a few times, so understood what Brighton's game was all about. From that point of view, he had done his research pretty well.

If it had been his first time, he would probably have talked more along the lines of 'yeah, Brighton weaving some pretty patterns, but not really getting the ball forward...' etc.

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
Radio 5 coverage was very 'balanced' and well researched. The commentaries paid a lot of respect to how Gus wants to play Football and that came across on the radio tonight.
I was impressed that Nigel Adderley knew all the players correct names (apart from Vincelot a few times) and knew the backgrounds of their careers as well.

I really don't understand what people's problem with Steve Claridge is? Anybody would think he did a Glenn Murray to us. Like others have said on this thread allready, Claridge knows his lower league Football and speaks his mind. I actually enjoy listening to someone talking honestly, yeah sometimes you don't want to hear Claridge saying complimentary things about the opposition, but he's only speaking his mind and opinion.
All in all Radio Five did a good game on tonights live game...obviously the result happened matters!

Spot on sir...Claridge imo couldn't be more complimentary to the Albion if he tried tonight..still, some posters don't let the facts get in the way of a good vendetta i guess

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
the only problem tonight was the way the commentator actually got to the goal bit. Barnes has hit it low to the keepers right blah blah..........

just shout GOAL GOAL f***ing GET IN THERE

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I can kind of see where Pleat is going with his argument as I had a conversation with somebody recently about finding a teaching job where their argument was that by moving to the Midlands their catchment area would grow because they would have all 360 degrees of the compass point to travel and find a position, whereas if they stayed in Brighton the catchment is reduced to 180 degrees as they cannot head anywhere south.

Also to be fair to Pleat he questioned whether we had the ability to sustain being in the Premiership with our crowds, something we currently have no idea about whether or not we will keep these extra fans if we hit a couple of seasons of struggle.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I can kind of see where Pleat is going with his argument as I had a conversation with somebody recently about finding a teaching job where their argument was that by moving to the Midlands their catchment area would grow because they would have all 360 degrees of the compass point to travel and find a position, whereas if they stayed in Brighton the catchment is reduced to 180 degrees as they cannot head anywhere south.

Also to be fair to Pleat he questioned whether we had the ability to sustain being in the Premiership with our crowds, something we currently have no idea about whether or not we will keep these extra fans if we hit a couple of seasons of struggle.

Havnt we all said this ? The more successful Gus is, the more chance that a huge club is going to come calling. Its just a natural reaction from football pundits as well . This is nothing new..i dont think Pleat has 'destroyed Brighton' at all. Just a realistic opinion. ..and most of us know it. Lets just enjoy this amazing start to the season , and know that one day, Gus wont be here !!

It wasn't just one comment, he could barely manage a positive thing to say, I'm happy to accept that some of the points were realistic, however It wasn't just one point; the manager would go if successful, the club couldn't sustain success etc. etc. it went on and on. A balanced pundit would surely then add some positive spin on his points. Following a 3rd consecutive win for a promoted club, it was incredibly negative, almost depressing. While the rest of football is revelling in the Brighton story (such as FF coming live for the Rovers game), Pleat sounded like there was little to be happy about. Seriously, in isolation each point was perhaps is justified, but as a 5min piece on 5Live, I found it completely unbalanced.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Claridge was lost for words, apart from drivel... 6 months ago he claimed that our style would not be effective in the Championship.... Last night the exact same style played Cardiff off the pitch... I bet he would rather have been commentating at Leicester instead... Doesn't rate Macca either, mmmmm we'll see... complete and utter tool and boring to boot!!!

I'm sure the BBC could find better pundit's than him and Pleat surely?

Steve Claridge has made a point of watching us a few times, so understood what Brighton's game was all about. From that point of view, he had done his research pretty well.

If it had been his first time, he would probably have talked more along the lines of 'yeah, Brighton weaving some pretty patterns, but not really getting the ball forward...' etc.

This was exactly what I thought. It was obvious he knew what was going on at Brighton and had seen a few games, and was thus able to comment pretty well on our matches. As a co-commentator on 5 Live he's actually pretty good because he is able to do a bit of research before the game into the two sides; where he falls down is that he's supposedly the BBC 'Football League expert' but I fail to see how anyone can be expected to be an 'expert' on 72 clubs - thus he is asked to talk about things he only knows a small bit about, and that is when his presentation falls down.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Notwithstanding Claridge was exceptionally complimentary towards us, he explained the points he was making and backing up every comment.

Don't get what people's grief is with him - was it because he once said something that wasn't all fawning and gushing? Awww.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Notwithstanding Claridge was exceptionally complimentary towards us, he explained the points he was making and backing up every comment.

Don't get what people's grief is with him - was it because he once said something that wasn't all fawning and gushing? Awww.
Spot on. Case in point were his comments on CMS. He was saying he works hard, fantastic at league one level, but after his flop in the Championship two years ago, he has still to prove himself and that he probably would do so but was't convinced about his ability to play in the Prem yet.

Well I agree to be honest - I couldn't be happier with the way CMS has fitted into the team, or the way he never gives up. But I'll be honest and say that Glenn Murray always held the ball up much better than CMS does. Of course it just means that Albion should play to his strengths which are not holding the ball up, but I think Claridge should be allowed to be objective about what he's seeing in the bloke.

Some of the comments on here are laughable about claridge. So what if not all of his comments last season were gushing compliments? He is entitled to his opinion, after all that's his job. He was clearly very impressed by the end.

I listened to 5live as an interesting comparison to radio Sussex, and while I always enjoy the natural bias of the local team, thought that the 5live commentary and punditry (as it should be) was on a different level.

Claridge contributed a lot of interesting tactical points (that you probably wouldn't have got on radio Sussex),for example where he explained in the first half how cardiff had set out to stop Brighton playing by dropping back earnshaw and miller. He then went onto add that this was Brighton controlling the game and as a result cardiff were suffering as an attacking force.

He clearly had and has reservations about cms but these were interesting points. By the end of the show, he was more complimentary about him and was clearly being won over.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Spot on sir...Claridge imo couldn't be more complimentary to the Albion if he tried tonight..still, some posters don't let the facts get in the way of a good vendetta i guess

Totally agree, find Johnny Cantor's commentary a bit too nerve wracking at times so fancied a change and took a bit of 5 live. After all the comments on here I thought Claridge would be anti-Brighton but he was far from it. He even explained (probably after we romped last season) how he had changed his views about us being a better side by not playing too much football and getting it forward a bit quicker (after him watching the Exeter game). All the time he was saying we were completely dominating the game and deserved to do so and he was saying how out of position so many Cardiff players were. Full of praise for us as a team, any criticism might have been about CMS but all he was really saying was he didn't prove himself last time in the Championship, can he this.

Fortunatley turned off before the kerb crawler got on talking b0ll0cks so missed that bit. Just to let him know that Liverpool, Everton, Newcastle all by the sea BTW.

Last edited:

Fawkesy

Apr 11, 2009
Thought SC was very complimentary of us last night, kept pointing out about Earnshaw and Miller almost playing as full-backs because of the way we were dominating the game and forcing them on the back foot (especially in the frist 30mins).

All round good commentary me thinks. :thumbsup:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I enjoyed the 5 Live coverage and I too thought Claridge was very complimentary about us. I cannot understand some of the stick he is getting on this thread were people listening to a different game?

I didn't hear Pleat's comments, but if they are as reported then they seem very ill-informed.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
I listened to r5l for a bit, was interesting claridge i think speaks hignly of us every time ive seen him on tv and listened on radio. Have to say tho scr give a much more detailed description of the play unfolding and r5l get distracted all the time by various announcements reports chat. In injury time they disappeared altogether.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Forgive me if everybody already knows this, but on this podcast: BBC - Podcasts - 5 live Football Daily Pleat and Claridge discuss us at some length after the Arsenal/Spurs bits, and Claridge says he's learned about CM-S's game after watching us at Cardiff. Generally they're both complimentary and positive, and don't forget that Claridge did tip us to go well before a ball was kicked.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Liverpool?

Exactly what I thought, and when talking about crowds especially for seaside towns, how can you say that Sunderland and New*****e struggle to get supports throught the gates, both teams sell much more tickets than a lot of land based clubs!

Pleat is an idiot that showed his pure ignorance last night - talking about the 20k ground but did not say anything that it will be increased to 30k if needed until someone text in about it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here