Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

4th Test build up, KP being magnanimous

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Finally found our teeth cricket wise on this tour, shame it has taken so long.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It shows the lack of hope and the general despair that no one has actually put up an " Official Australia v England 4TH Test Thread " and as such we are using the thread I started that was peripheral to the match.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I lasted a whole 2 overs last night, switching off in disgust after Pietersen's wicket. Looks like I missed out.

It's a good pitch for the English bowlers at last, a bit slow, some lateral movement and I think the spinners will be well in the game in the 2nd innings. Well done England for showing some fight in testing circumstances - I'm looking forward to tonight now. A chase over 250 looks like it could be challenging, though England have time left in the game to post a target far in excess of that. With the pressure to score quickly removed from them I'd really like to see the top 5 grind the Aussie bowlers into submission tomorrow.

That's if Lyon and Haddin don't put on 100.

larus

I lasted a whole 2 overs last night, switching off in disgust after Pietersen's wicket. Looks like I missed out.

It's a good pitch for the English bowlers at last, a bit slow, some lateral movement and I think the spinners will be well in the game in the 2nd innings. Well done England for showing some fight in testing circumstances - I'm looking forward to tonight now. A chase over 250 looks like it could be challenging, though England have time left in the game to post a target far in excess of that. With the pressure to score quickly removed from them I'd really like to see the top 5 grind the Aussie bowlers into submission tomorrow.

That's if Lyon and Haddin don't put on 100.

Lyon has an average of 15.5 and a top score of 40 n.o. He's not a complete mug with the bat, so we'll need to close this out quick tonight. We really don't want them getting a bit of a lift before they start bowling, and a big of tail-wagging is not what we need.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It shows the lack of hope and the general despair that no one has actually put up an " Official Australia v England 4TH Test Thread " and as such we are using the thread I started that was peripheral to the match.
It's working. Whoever started the previous official threads is clearly to blame for our defeats.

It's a good pitch for the English bowlers at last, a bit slow, some lateral movement and I think the spinners will be well in the game in the 2nd innings.
Swann is going to destroy them.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's working. Whoever started the previous official threads is clearly to blame for our defeats.

Swann is going to destroy them.

Oops ! perchance Swanny jumped too soon ?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Waking up and checking the score, reminds me of following Ashes tours as a kid. Back then it was the tradition that England would lose every series, but would always put up a fight in the dead rubbers.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Waking up and checking the score, reminds me of following Ashes tours as a kid. Back then it was the tradition that England would lose every series, but would always put up a fight in the dead rubbers.

True, although 3-2 or 3-1 sounds an awful lot better than the 3-0 the Aussies got slapped with over here in the summer, never mind the 5-0 they are desperate for in this series.

Why have England managed to bowl with so much more discipline than the previous 3 omni-shambles?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
True, although 3-2 or 3-1 sounds an awful lot better than the 3-0 the Aussies got slapped with over here in the summer, never mind the 5-0 they are desperate for in this series.

Why have England managed to bowl with so much more discipline than the previous 3 omni-shambles?
I wonder if the dropping of Prior sounded a bit of a wake-up call? He was pretty much one of those 'first name on the team sheet' selections and, despite his poor form going into the series, was reckoned to be one of the more nailed-on positions. If they can drop Prior for Bairstow the message is perhaps they can perhaps drop Anderson for Rankin (not that I'm suggesting that).

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Pleasantly surprised when I woke up and looked at the score to see that at long last our bowlers seem to be doing what they are paid for. If the majority of our batsmen follow suit in our 2nd innings and score at a reasonable rate we could, only could, possibly win this match.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

A few thoughts:

- We haven't actually bowled badly in a first innings yet this series, we've let Australia off the hook a couple of times granted. It's been in the second, when the bowlers have had very little rest, due to us being bowled out quickly and being way behind the game that the carnage has happened.
- This pitch suits the English bowlers more than the Aussie batsmen. It's actually pretty reminscent of what we were playing them on in the summer over here.
- Subconsiously, I don't think the Aussies valued their wickets quite as highly as they did earlier in the series.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Fair play to our bowlers, they all stepped up and made a contribution. England are now odds-on to win this match and the 5-0 whitewash is out to 11-4.

It's a lot easier to be philosophical about the series if we can nick one or more of the last two tests - if we manage this then we'll have won on aggregate / 'away goals'.

I still fancy the Aussies will come back at us hard on Day 3, so to win this match I expect one of the batsmen will need to post a ton. Ian Bell the man most likely?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

I don't get the point of it. Must be some publicity in it for the knob. Anyway,why did he bring a bat in to the net with him ? you can't use it if you are backing in the net adjacent and 8 ft away from leg stump. Fair play to Brett Lee who rather let him off quite lightly.

Edit : forgot to add that there was talk on TMS about the impending Lee /Moron net and someone suggested they would like to see him pinned to the sightscreen. I wouldn't disagree.:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here