Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
Almost every team that gets promoted in this division uses a 2 up front formation. If we can create an effective striking partnership, such as Baldock and Hemed, then they will score far more than if we were to play Hemed on his own with Baldock on the wing again, for example. They will bring the best out of each other, and this has been shown by Watford (Deeney & Ighalo), Bournemouth (Wilson & Kermorgant), Leicester (Nugent & Vardy), Burnley (Vokes & Ings) and many more successful championship sides over the last few years. I think it's quite exciting to see how we've set up over the last few friendlies.

This is what this thread needed. A considered, researched reply which clearly demonstrates why 442 works at this level. I recall that Pearson often went 343 when chasing games, an easy conversion from 442.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Norwich under their newish coach were playing a 4-4-1-1 formation to great effect with Redmond just off of Jerome. They weren't shy of a few goals either.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
This is what this thread needed. A considered, researched reply which clearly demonstrates why 442 works at this level. I recall that Pearson often went 343 when chasing games, an easy conversion from 442.

But surely it depends on the players you have. Currently our strongest position is central midfield, why limit that to 2 at a time?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
But surely it depends on the players you have. Currently our strongest position is central midfield, why limit that to 2 at a time?
Having Stephens, Ince, Kayal and Crofts fighting for two places will mean that they have to keep their standards up to stay in the team. I see it as a positive.

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham

But why needlessly pack the midfield just because you have loads of central midfielders in your squad? That doesn't make sense

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
But why needlessly pack the midfield just because you have loads of central midfielders in your squad? That doesn't make sense

It's not a case of packing your midfield, it is making best use of the players available. A 3 in the middle provides plenty of options both going forward and in defence, not to mention the ability to play between the lines. There is a reason the best sides in the world play it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Going by last season, it wouldn't be a bad start if every one of the players in OUR team knew that!

Good point well made.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Having Stephens, Ince, Kayal and Crofts fighting for two places will mean that they have to keep their standards up to stay in the team. I see it as a positive.

And Holla and JFC ?....

we need 6 to cover 3 central positions

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
No, hence i said arguably. From what I have seen that period and the last (not last season though) handful of years are the top two though.

The Poyet years were very exciting.
For me watching the football at Withdean 2000-01 and 20001-02 were far more exciting than watching the Albion when Oscar was the manager.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
When Hughton joined, he said that his preferred formation was 4-4-1-1. Occasionally, 4-2-3-1.
Given that he seems to have had carte blanche this summer to mould the club the way he wants, I expect him to set the team up in those formations, more often that not.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
When Hughton joined, he said that his preferred formation was 4-4-1-1. Occasionally, 4-2-3-1.
Given that he seems to have had carte blanche this summer to mould the club the way he wants, I expect him to set the team up in those formations, more often that not.

4-4-1-1 is Baldock playing off of Hemed (subject to new signings)... fine by me...

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
The Poyet years were very exciting.
For me watching the football at Withdean 2000-01 and 20001-02 were far more exciting than watching the Albion when Oscar was the manager.

I think Oscar was a fabulous manager.
When you think of the team he had to work with (arguably our worst ever year for injuries).
The fact that he got us to the play offs (I'll admit a bit last minute) speaks volumes for his management skills.
I for one wish he had stuck around. We would certainly not have had the disaster that was Sami Hyypia.
People say the football was boring, but he just had to make do with what he had.
I will not hear a word said against him.

Rant over carry on as you were.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I think Oscar was a fabulous manager.
When you think of the team he had to work with (arguably our worst ever year for injuries).
The fact that he got us to the play offs (I'll admit a bit last minute) speaks volumes for his management skills.
I for one wish he had stuck around. We would certainly not have had the disaster that was Sami Hyypia.
People say the football was boring, but he just had to make do with what he had.
I will not hear a word said against him.

Rant over carry on as you were.

Well said, huge shame for the club that the powers that be were not willing or unable to meet his requests.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Well said, huge shame for the club that the powers that be were not willing or unable to meet his requests.

Good manager I agree, but didn't we dodge a bullet with his subsequent health issues?

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
always best to fit the system to the players currently without wide
attacking players both 442 and 433 are looking short of a couple
of quality options.
We do have 2 new athletic full backs and Hughton did try with a
degree of promise 352 for one game last year.We made need just 1 more
mobile centre back and Ince may be able to challenge for the back 3 and the
midfield 3.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
always best to fit the system to the players currently without wide
attacking players both 442 and 433 are looking short of a couple
of quality options.
We do have 2 new athletic full backs and Hughton did try with a
degree of promise 352 for one game last year.We made need just 1 more
mobile centre back and Ince may be able to challenge for the back 3 and the
midfield 3.

Or we could sign a winger, as Hughton has said he is working towards...

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
The pair and Hemed were all on target in Wednesday’s 3-0 friendly win at Crawley.

Stephens said: “That was obviously what we struggled with last year. Hopefully we’re going to change the dynamic of the team with the system we are going to play and get two goalscoring strikers up top.

“The partnership between Sam and Tomer looks good. Hopefully that can continue and can better.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/alb...to_play_his_part_in_Albion_goalscoring_surge/

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here