Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
My views on 442 are quite simple. It might do well in the Championship but any half decent manager with half decent players can easily pick off such a static and linear formation. If you know exactly where players will be (which you do in a 442)...it's piss easy to play against them.
Absolutely. As decent managers with half decent players at clubs such as Hull, Burnley, Ipswich and Birmingham have so clearly demonstrated this season, as well as some lesser lights at the lower end of the table..............

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
My views on 442 are quite simple. It might do well in the Championship but any half decent manager with half decent players can easily pick off such a static and linear formation. If you know exactly where players will be (which you do in a 442)...it's piss easy to play against them.

Yes, that's exactly why Leicester are bottom of the Premier League. Oh wait, they're actually top and doing amazingly with a weaker squad than most teams in the top half.

I think in football sometimes too much is made of formation. The issue is that teams focus too much on sticking to one way whatever their players fit into. Hughton has found a formation that works for our players as have Leicester but we can adapt it. The major issue with Poyet was that he stuck to his formation whatever happened.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Absolutely. As decent managers with half decent players at clubs such as Hull, Burnley, Ipswich and Birmingham have so clearly demonstrated this season, as well as some lesser lights at the lower end of the table..............

As I said, it might prevail in the 2nd tier.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
As I said, it might prevail in the 2nd tier.

Sorry, I was giving you the benefit of the doubt. I didn't for one second assume that you thought there were no decent managers or half decent players (outside of our's, of course) in the Championship.

And yes, of course, it might prevail in the second tier. Remind me again - which tier are we actually trying to prevail in at the moment?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sorry, I was giving you the benefit of the doubt. I didn't for one second assume that you thought there were no decent managers or half decent players (outside of our's, of course) in the Championship.

And yes, of course, it might prevail in the second tier. Remind me again - which tier are we actually trying to prevail in at the moment?

Whatever you say it's still the second tier of English football...it's not the top level. And I do concede you can do pretty well with simple things like good organisation below the top flight. The lower down the pyramid you go you can get along with even more basic attributes like a force-of-personality manager. It will take a lot more than Leicester currently doing well and Brighton currently being top to convince me that 442 is the future.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Whatever you say it's still the second tier of English football...it's not the top level. And I do concede you can do pretty well with simple things like good organisation below the top flight.
So it's not about 442 or otherwise then? - it's just a simple thing like good organisation, which works well outside the top flight.

But not in the top flight? Hmm. Interesting theory; Pulis, Allardyce and Pardew, for example, would appear to be currently proving this to be not the case. And yes, they do have better players than we do - but I doubt we'd have exactly the same squad if we get to the PL either.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Just been chatting to a few other fans about this. There is a football snobbery at the moment that 442 is dinosaur, outdated and ugly. I think that it is just that, snobbery, especially when people start to talk utter bull5h1t like playing a 'false nine'. Football is a simple game and often two strikers and two wingers is an effective and attractive way to play. I can see more and more teams reverting to the traditional 442 over the next few seasons.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So it's not about 442 or otherwise then? - it's just a simple thing like good organisation, which works well outside the top flight.

But not in the top flight? Hmm. Interesting theory; Pulis, Allardyce and Pardew, for example, would appear to be currently proving this to be not the case. And yes, they do have better players than we do - but I doubt we'd have exactly the same squad if we get to the PL either.

Look, you stick with your Pulis, Allardyce and Pardews. I'll take something more interesting.

PS if you have to use Pulis, Allardyce and Pardew for your argument surely this tells you something?

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex

Look, you stick with your Pulis, Allardyce and Pardews. I'll take something more interesting.

PS if you have to use Pulis, Allardyce and Pardew for your argument surely this tells you something?

Parsdews palace play a 3-4-3, pullis play 4-5-1 so does Allardyce other than that your spot on ��

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Parsdews palace play a 3-4-3, pullis play 4-5-1 so does Allardyce other than that your spot on ��

It wasn't me who cited them as examples.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sorry...teams that play 4-4-2 are Chelsea , Everton an the league leaders, all who have non English managers.

According to my Prem guide, Chelsea and Everton don't. But you're correct about Leicester.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Nobody (as far as I know) suggested they played 442. I did cite them as examples of good organisation, however (pretty or not).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well?

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
This 4-4-2 formation is really getting on my nerves. I demand Sam Baldock be put back on the right wing or midfield, and Glenn Murray played in front of the back four, with Knockheart through the centre. It's all about keeping the ball people, wearing the opposition down. We don't want to see all this heading crosses. That's for the school playground. Not the beautiful game.

I long for the days when a shot on target was an event we looked forward to for weeks and weeks. Now we get them every few minutes, and more than once a game. It's just not the same any more.

Okay we might be about to get promoted with 4 games to spare, but these bloody British managers playing their dinosaur 442.

Tut. Where will it all end!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here