Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

40 years ago

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Spent the last 40 years trying to forget it and now somebody rakes it up again. We'd already beaten two league opponents on the way to the third round ( Brentford and Gillingham? ) and this seemed a formality. Chris Kelly was talking to the press in the week about what he was going to do to Brighton and the best part of 20,000 turned up hoping to see his words rammed firmly back down his throat.
Albion played their part and completely failed to turn up, making Kelly into a minor celebrity. Happy Days.
ps Was so gutted, went home and didn't go out with mates on the Saturday night, which was very rare for me.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
was the Walton home game played in the afternoon due to the three day week.?

I missed that one...thank god...as I had to work. Went to the first game, where Walton scored straight from the kick-off and it was disallowed. It finished as a pretty dismal 0-0, so, like Leatherhead it looked like another formality. Walking home, late that afternoon, I stopped and bought an early edition Argus ( no mobiles for instant updates in those days ) and saw Vinnicombe's headline...." Walton take shock early lead "....Oh well...read on....and I read and read, looking for the bold type for an Albion goal but nothing. JV's report had to finish at about 70 mins to go to press so, having reached the end of his report, I turned the page over to look at the stop press.
The horror is still with me today, as I read that Walton had scored three more in the last 10 mins. It was unbelievable. We had lost 0-4 at home to a non-league club and all with Clough and Taylor in charge! To then lose to Leatherhead the following year was enough to drive a good man to drink.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Crikey you are right. 41 years ago

Anchorman

Oct 19, 2007
So, actually 40 years ago FA Cup 3rd round we were away at Southend and I was there with a couple of mates, it was my first away match. My memory of this is that there were hardly any Albion supporters there, anyone else on here there that day that remembers that being the case?
Am curious as to if I've remembered that correctly. I know it was hardly a high profile tie but at subsequent away games that I went to that season eg Hereford (Ward's debut) Milwall, there was a huge away support.

So, actually 40 years ago FA Cup 3rd round we were away at Southend and I was there with a couple of mates, it was my first away match. My memory of this is that there were hardly any Albion supporters there, anyone else on here there that day that remembers that being the case?
Am curious as to if I've remembered that correctly. I know it was hardly a high profile tie but at subsequent away games that I went to that season eg Hereford (Ward's debut) Milwall, there was a huge away support.

It was a fricking high profile game with a decent albion mob turn out!???

Anchorman

Oct 19, 2007
Well it was 40 years ago I just thought being my first away game I would have remembered such an atmosphere. We did go to the league game the following month there on a Tuesday evening and lost 4-0, maybe my mind has got muddled with that one!

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Page 01.jpg

Leatherhead's Colin Woffinden had played for Walton & Hersham against us the previous season

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing

It was my first away game as well but I remember a sizeable Albion mob fighting with Southend fans behind the goal.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Yes!! This was the first game I ever went to. Blinder of a goal from the Leatherhead fella - I seem to remember he got the ball in his own half and dribbled through half our team before scoring. For some reason I was hooked. I didn't realise this was my 40th anniversary as an Albion supporter.

Edit - ok so its 41 years.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Hiney;7232374 Leatherhead's Colin Woffinden had played for Walton & Hersham against us the previous season[/QUOTE said:
Dave Sargeant was a friend of my Old Man,he also played in both games for Leatherhead & Walton

I think a few on here came across Dave on the local football scene,he lived in Eastbourne when I knew him

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Leatherhead's Colin Woffinden had played for Walton & Hersham against us the previous season

Wasn't he on Brighton's books at some stage? Don't think he played a first team game though

Colin Woffinden was an amateur player who made three appearances as a sub for us in 1970-71. He had previously been at Lewes.

He would later become a youth coach at Albion, and co-wrote a soccer coaching book with one-time Albion Football Development Officer and managing director of AITC Stephen Ford - ‘Skilful Soccer’ by Stephen Ford and Colin Woffinden

Born in Hove, he was apparently a tiler by profession, and I think he still lives locally.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here