Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 40 years ago today, that Jimmy Case goal v Naaaarwich.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
We HAVE won plenty - in recent times too. We won 2 trophies and leagues inn2 seasons not that long ago! Dunky luckily mentioned that in his interview in the week. I don’t buy into this modern premier league notion of ‘won nothing’ if it’s not the top of the top - ludicrous saying imo.
Sorry, what trophies? What leagues?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Att 28,600, the north stand was rammed. The last time we ever had a really big crowd at the Goldstone
Not quite true.

I think we had 25000 ish against Arsenal in 1988? Our end was equally full against Bristol Rovers in the last game of that season but the attendance was only 19k. Not sure if that was to do with changes in the ground or number of away fans. Couple of lively days whatever it was.

EDIT - 11 v 11 says Arsenal was 26,467 and BR was 19,800
In 1987/88, Bristol Rovers was 19,800 and Arsenal was 26,467. Also Southampton in 1985/86 for a 6th round game - that one was over 25,000.

But what strikes me from the programme notes earlier in this thread was just how shit gates were in the 1980s. We played 2nd division Newcastle in that 3rd round FA Cup replay in January, and up until then that was the first time 30k+ watched the Albion all season. By then we had played away to Liverpool, Everton, Aston Villa, Man City and Spurs, and the biggest crowd to watch Albion play away had been just 27,000!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Not quite true.

In 1987/88, Bristol Rovers was 19,800 and Arsenal was 26,467. Also Southampton in 1985/86 for a 6th round game - that one was over 25,000.

But what strikes me from the programme notes earlier in this thread was just how shit gates were in the 1980s. We played 2nd division Newcastle in that 3rd round FA Cup replay in January, and up until then that was the first time 30k+ watched the Albion all season. By then we had played away to Liverpool, Everton, Aston Villa, Man City and Spurs, and the biggest crowd to watch Albion play away had been just 27,000!
Yep. I think we were getting 8-10000 at home league games

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Sorry, what trophies? What leagues?
Div 3 & 2 - then league 1 under poyet and play offs under MM - even got a trophy for coming 2nd in the Champs but that’s pushing it a bit. We’ve won loads especially recently.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Brilliant day. It wasn't ticketed so it was a complete free-for-all and loads didn't get in. I was there at about 2 o'clock in the North west corner. Ran on the pitch at the end and watched Jimmy Melia being interviewed. When asked who he wanted in the semi-final he replied "Anyone at home!" How we laughed.

Great day topped only by the semi-final at Highbury which was an outstandingly brilliant day.

Forty years ago! Bugger me.

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
Yep. I was in the South East and had to climb up the floodlights to see the game. It felt like I was about 50 ft up but thinking about it, I was probably about 3ft off the ground. Great day.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
We HAVE won plenty - in recent times too. We won 2 trophies and leagues inn2 seasons not that long ago! Dunky luckily mentioned that in his interview in the week. I don’t buy into this modern premier league notion of ‘won nothing’ if it’s not the top of the top - ludicrous saying imo.
Blimey sheebo. I usually agree with you (especially over England) but claiming that we've 'won trophies' because we've picked up a couple of lower league awards is really stretching it. By definition they're for crap teams as the top teams aren't in the likes of League One, so when a Liverpool fan says "We've won the European Cup!" you can't really counter by saying "Yeah? Well we've won the League One Playoffs!" They really aren't compatible; it's a bit like proudly showing someone like Linford Christie your medal for winning the school egg-and-spoon race.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Blimey sheebo. I usually agree with you (especially over England) but claiming that we've 'won trophies' because we've picked up a couple of lower league awards is really stretching it. By definition they're for crap teams as the top teams aren't in the likes of League One, so when a Liverpool fan says "We've won the European Cup!" you can't really counter by saying "Yeah? Well we've won the League One Playoffs!" They really aren't compatible; it's a bit like proudly showing someone like Linford Christie your medal for winning the school egg-and-spoon race.
Nah not saying they’re comparable at all BUT this ‘won nothing’ line often spotted by armchair ‘fans’ gets my goat! If you were born in Stockport and rightfully supported them, are you just going to accept they will never ‘win anything’ as they have no chance at winning one of the major trophies? ‘Lower league’ is where a lot of real football and fans are - you win the league and lift the trophy - that’s winning a trophy in my book personally - think Cantor and Dunk alluded to this in the week too. Just because they’re not the biggest trophies only the biggest clubs have a realistic chance of winning, doesn’t mean other trophies don’t count! Will always stand by that. I’ve seen Danny Cullip lifting trophies and it really counts for me…

Champions of Sussex (which we obviously sing as a piss take) is stretching it though 🤣

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I was in the East Stand that day - the place was heaving. To round off things, I found myself standing next to Jimmy Case at the urinals in Shades bar that night. I could just about mutter "Great goal, Jimmy" and he said something like "Well, I just hit it". He seemed like he'd had a few (and, to be fair, so had I).

There's a postscript to this goal. My stepfather's son-in-law was Paul Haylock, the guy that Case shoved aside. I didn't meet him until three years later and he was still complaining about the goal and how he'd been fouled.

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022
I clearly remember that game, because I've never felt so packed in before or after at a football game.

The official attendance was nonsense.

With all the stairwells full that was obvious, when I got to the ground the Northstand was already shut and all the programmes gone.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I think we had 25000 ish against Arsenal in 1988? Our end was equally full against Bristol Rovers in the last game of that season but the attendance was only 19k. Not sure if that was to do with changes in the ground or number of away fans. Couple of lively days whatever it was.

EDIT - 11 v 11 says Arsenal was 26,467 and BR was 19,800
I remember for the Bristol Rovers games the away fans were still in the NE corner but I think some of the East terrace was closed. That was a pretty tense affair with a happy ending.

Seem to recall BR fans were a bloody rough with lots of missing teeth

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Magnificent day, loads didn't get in I was in the North Stand

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I remember for the Bristol Rovers games the away fans were still in the NE corner but I think some of the East terrace was closed. That was a pretty tense affair with a happy ending.

Seem to recall BR fans were a bloody rough with lots of missing teeth
Massive Pirate flag too. Maybe it was part of the look?

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Brilliant day. It wasn't ticketed so it was a complete free-for-all and loads didn't get in. I was there at about 2 o'clock in the North west corner. Ran on the pitch at the end and watched Jimmy Melia being interviewed. When asked who he wanted in the semi-final he replied "Anyone at home!" How we laughed.

Great day topped only by the semi-final at Highbury which was an outstandingly brilliant day.

Forty years ago! Bugger me.
Highbury was the best ever imo

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Yep. I think we were getting 8-10000 at home league games
Football really wasn't great back then. Awful pitches, crowd trouble, just a downward spiral.

Folk lament the passing of those days but I wonder what there is to lament. Turning up at a game without all the faffing and things being less regimented, perhaps, you and I had some great times- often together. But I don't miss it.

I do wish as a kid that I had been on some of those Seagull Specials as we climbed to the attic, but then I hear of all the tales (those told by those who have given up their Alpha status) about how folk often had to run from home fans who lay in wait. Then I think that it was perhaps good that I didn't go as it seems no-one was spared.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here