Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 40 years ago today, that Jimmy Case goal v Naaaarwich.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
East Terrace for little me. Went bonkers when Case scored. A few others even managed to raise their arms- or walking sticks.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I saw it from the top floor of one of the houses. Having failed to get in, as luck would have it, my brother in law had a key to one of the houses which was being renovated and he was working on it.
You could have given us a shout….

Dun Lurkin

Feb 20, 2023
I remember it well. For the only time I was standing on the small terrace in front of the Lego stand. I think the Norwich fans are still adamant that Case fouled the defender before scoring.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
I arrived a bit earlier than usual but the ques for my normal position in the North were so long I didn't think I'd get in. As the ques were shorter I went in the East stand for my first & only match there. Really not the same but enjoyed it anyway.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Me too.
I remember the semi final better and all the Case cardboard signs handed out before the game for some strange reason.
My dad’s mate took one and said ‘ I’ll be holding that up if he scores’. He didn’t hVe to wait long.
Those signs were provided by case computers, gave them a bit of free global advertising.

POSKETT AT THE VALLEY

Jan 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
Great memories along with the free kick at Highbury in the semi’s. Still marching bands on the pitch in those days. The band at Higbury played a powerful rendition of SBTS and the conductor saluted the Albion support at the clock end. Think he must have been a Sussex man. For Wednesday they played Ilkley Moor bar tat. Funny how some things stay with you.

allystrat

Dec 19, 2011
East stand for me too. I remember the 1-2 Stoke City league game a couple of weeks earlier which was absolutely dire on a cold, grey February day. If I recall correctly, a voucher was awarded for attending this game which enabled the purchase of a cup final ticket should we get there.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
At Leeds Saturday and even they play a pre-match montage of trophies they've won. It's embarrasing at home as we sit and watch nothing, nothing at all (was Gary Lineker on strike in 1910 when we won something?). Why do we get excited about a game 40 years ago? Because we nearly won something, that's why. You cant sing 'it's coming home' with '113 years of hurt, 113 years of dreaming!'
Time to put some silver in the trophy room, wait, have we got a trophy room?
EDIT How many clubs have their own wiki page all about their trophy wins?
We HAVE won plenty - in recent times too. We won 2 trophies and leagues inn2 seasons not that long ago! Dunky luckily mentioned that in his interview in the week. I don’t buy into this modern premier league notion of ‘won nothing’ if it’s not the top of the top - ludicrous saying imo.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
The first game I ever got refused entrance due to it being a full house, where did all those day trippers come from eh! I had been a regular since 68 and was stunned that the ground could fill up!! Went on a pub crawl in Brighton to sooth my worried mind!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I clearly remember that game, because I've never felt so packed in before or after at a football game.

The official attendance was nonsense.

Never forget the surge in the old North Stand, especially being slammed into the metal divider barriers :eek:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
The three absolute stuffings we got in September :eek:
I was at the Luton away stuffing, along with thousands of other Brighton supporters, as was tradition when we played them. How things happened on mass in those days is a mystery. No internet to get the message out, but still it happened.
Our packed train arrived in Luton at about eleven o'clock in the morning. First job on getting to the ground was to break the gates down and get in, which duly happened. We got in to what is now the home-end behind the goal, but back then it was just a roofless open terrace and no segregation. A little early perhaps, giving the Police time to round us up and turf everybody out.
One of my memories from that episode is that of a poor woman shrieking and looking in disdain at a push-bike outside her house, which got jumped on by everyone that went past after we got ejected, and by the time I got there, it looked like it had been through a car-crusher, just a small cube of mangled metal!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Att 28,600, the north stand was rammed. The last time we ever had a really big crowd at the Goldstone

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Att 28,600, the north stand was rammed. The last time we ever had a really big crowd at the Goldstone
I think we had 25000 ish against Arsenal in 1988? Our end was equally full against Bristol Rovers in the last game of that season but the attendance was only 19k. Not sure if that was to do with changes in the ground or number of away fans. Couple of lively days whatever it was.

EDIT - 11 v 11 says Arsenal was 26,467 and BR was 19,800

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
East Stand for me. What a day - and Highbury was incredible (if, with hindsight, ludicrously packed and probably pretty dangerous).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here