Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

4 yr old season ticket holder charged as adult, club won't fully refund....advice please.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
It's a broken system if the only recourse is an e-mail to the CEO... what on earth are the customer services people being paid for? How many other mistakes are going on without follow up?

SurprisedSeagull

Oct 6, 2014
Hi there, your response has been terrific. And I was very impressed by Paul, although a little disappointed by customer services. Apparently, the issue has arisen because no DOB was entered onto their system for my son - although we were charged at a child's rate until April, when the new ticketing system came in - at this point, the season ticket was automatically charged at an adult rate. Jenny Gover, customer services manager has pointed out that we have had opportunities to contact the club, first a letter and then the new card stamped adult. Having read this, she is right. Hence, no cash refund. But the truth is that all things football are left to my husband, who can't remember getting a letter and nor noticed that the card was stamped. It was me who noticed the mistake when reviewing our joint bank account. He did then call the club twice but they have no record of this and require written correspondence as proof. They had asked that we put the matter in writing on the last call (on the first call, the computer was down). My husband didn't know who we should write too, hence I called and was offered a refund without having to put in it writing....but when the cheque arrived was only for the rest of the season - the ticketing manager didn't return my calls, hence I turned to you guys for advice. I replied to Jenny, accepting that we could have contacted them earlier but pointed out that we couldn't account for their administrative error in the first place (and have been calling them!). She then offered to put £73 on the season ticket to spent at the ground.

From our perspective, they made an administrative mistake and our mistake was not noticing. I would prefer my money back but don't think that I can keep fighting them on it - they don't want to refund the money and that's that. So, disappointing but the lesson learned, keep a watchful eye on direct debits because if they take your money, then they may not give it back.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Hi there, your response has been terrific. And I was very impressed by Paul, although a little disappointed by customer services. Apparently, the issue has arisen because no DOB was entered onto their system for my son - although we were charged at a child's rate until April, when the new ticketing system came in - at this point, the season ticket was automatically charged at an adult rate. Jenny Gover, customer services manager has pointed out that we have had opportunities to contact the club, first a letter and then the new card stamped adult. Having read this, she is right. Hence, no cash refund. But the truth is that all things football are left to my husband, who can't remember getting a letter and nor noticed that the card was stamped. It was me who noticed the mistake when reviewing our joint bank account. He did then call the club twice but they have no record of this and require written correspondence as proof. They had asked that we put the matter in writing on the last call (on the first call, the computer was down). My husband didn't know who we should write too, hence I called and was offered a refund without having to put in it writing....but when the cheque arrived was only for the rest of the season - the ticketing manager didn't return my calls, hence I turned to you guys for advice. I replied to Jenny, accepting that we could have contacted them earlier but pointed out that we couldn't account for their administrative error in the first place (and have been calling them!). She then offered to put £73 on the season ticket to spent at the ground.

From our perspective, they made an administrative mistake and our mistake was not noticing. I would prefer my money back but don't think that I can keep fighting them on it - they don't want to refund the money and that's that. So, disappointing but the lesson learned, keep a watchful eye on direct debits because if they take your money, then they may not give it back.

Am I correct in thinking, that it has cost you money because someone at the Albion failed to enter the child's D.O.B or had you not supplied it?

SurprisedSeagull

Oct 6, 2014
Yes, we supplied the correct DOB and were charged at the correct rate until the new ticketing system came in. But we did miss opportunities to let them know but they also gave us the runaround when we did, so definitely not the best customer service but perhaps a good compromise, I still haven't decided. Thanks for your replies.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Last year the club did have an issue with DOBs as several OAPs (including myself) were charged at full adult rate instead of concessionary. I am paranoid about checking our bank account on a regular basis so contacted the club immediately in April.

Having said that, SurprisedSeagull has said that they were charged a child's rate until April and then failed to put that information into the new system.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Its an Admin error, dont stand for that bullshit. Ask for a copy of the letter and dates that it was sent to you. if they cant then its your word against theres on if it was sent or not.

The customer service at the club is pretty average, but no different to what is out there. however there dealing of customer complaints and complex queries is shocking.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
From what has been said, it would appear that the initial error was the club not entering the child's DOB on the new ticketing system. You acknowledge that you have had some opportunities provided by the club to correct their mistake before now. I'd kinda say that at this point it's c75/25 the club's fault (if you'd contacted the club immediately on receiving the letter, or the kid's card, or on earlier checking your bank statement - it would have been 100% the club's fault).

Providing your husband/kids routinely spend money on a match day (sweets/drinks/food?) or at any time in the club shop (replica shirts??), the offer to put the excess you've already spent on the ecash system would seem to be a reasonable compromise - don't forget if you use ecash to buy stuff, you will often get a discount off the price you'd pay if you tendered any other method of payment.

If, however, your husband doesn't spend any money at the club other than the ST, continue pushing for a cash refund.

Or just cancel the s/t:moo:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Taking everything at face value, I would tell the Customer Services 'manager' to put her e-cash where the sun doesn't shine.

My next correspondence would be demanding a full refund of overpaid monies with a written letter of apology within 10 working days. Telling her if the situation is not resolved in that time period then a small claims court summons will be issued.

You will be surprised how quickly your money will be returned.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Taking everything at face value, I would tell the Customer Services 'manager' to put her e-cash where the sun doesn't shine.

My next correspondence would be demanding a full refund of overpaid monies with a written letter of apology within 10 working days. Telling her if the situation is not resolved in that time period then a small claims court summons will be issued.

You will be surprised how quickly your money will be returned.

No doubt that would work.

If it ever got to Court (it wouldn't - the club would pay up), the bench would look at how quickly you'd tried to correct the error in assessing the damages. Here, there is a letter, a card with "Adult" on it and the fact that some time has passed with the OP not having checked the bank statement, all of which would, imo, be likely to lead to some mitigation. I'd be surprised if the Court gave the full amount as damages. So, a full refund as ecash is likely to be a decent outcome - providing, as I said before, the ST holders routinely spend money at the club.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Also becomes a point (which is entirely down the the individual) where the 'life is too short' question arises.......

Fada

Aug 5, 2014
I have no input on the matter but a question regarding cheques. Its 2014 and you are still using cheques regularly. Is that correct? I havent seen a cheque during my last 30 years.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I can only assume from all the above that the Albion have absolutely no real cash in their bank accounts and any attempt at reimbursing their customers, as any other company would, would result in it bouncing. Personally I find it disgraceful.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I doubt the original poster would want to pursue this much further - being in dispute with the club we all support would sit uncomfortably on the shoulders of most of us. But is this sense of comradeship reciprocated? Do the newly hired fonctionaires scattered across the Albion's offices regard us as much more than two-bit customers to be dealt with at arm's length? Only last week I heard another example of idle and dismissive service given to a long-standing supporter, who is now on the brink of walking.

We can all make mistakes, and examples of wonderful service do crop up from time to time, but the concern remains that the Albion is in the grip of some sort of dull bureaucratic spirit that makes it feel more like an corporate bank than a community football club. There seems to be a cultural problem and that is the responsibility of those at the top.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here