4-1 up and thousands of fans leave before the final whistel. Disgusting.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

krakatoa

Jan 21, 2010
HOVE
Wasn't it upsetting. :tantrum:

In some ways it was a little upsetting, because it did just a little more to confirm how many lightweight fans we've got now. Lots of clubs suffer from congestion after home games, Spurs being one example, but I've never seen an early mass walkout on that scale before after a good win, anywhere in the country.

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
Here's 10 reasons why I would never leave a game early Midfield Dynamo Football Site . Of course if people want to miss occasions like these when they have paid to see them it's their choice, not mine though!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
In some ways it was a little upsetting, because it did just a little more to confirm how many lightweight fans we've got now. Lots of clubs suffer from congestion after home games, Spurs being one example, but I've never seen an early mass walkout on that scale before after a good win, anywhere in the country.

OT and Emirates for example, especially evening games, have mass early leaving. No doubt, the transport issue too.

Control freaks meddling in leaving times of others, should contact Hebberd to demand that stewards tackle early leavers, by forcing them back to their seats.

getreal1

Aug 13, 2008
Most supporters overestimate the degree to which most players actually give a damn about matters like this.

Some of us have jobs on a Saturday evening starting at 6.30 in Chichester - what do you want me to do, give up my employment so I can keep a few twats happy? It happened at the Goldstone, The Priestfield, and at Withdean. In a crowd of 25,000 some will always arrive late, go for a half time cuppa on 40 mins or leave a few minutes early. At the England vs Brazil game at Wembley recently loads of fans left before the end - that's up to them. Get a life. Why do such trivial matters worry people so much?

I don't work Saturdays but this is spot on. People streamed out of all areas of the Goldstone and Withdean. Sometimes, getting your special bus to an outlying district of Brighton depended on you getting out in a hurry at the Goldstone. I don't leave early but we all lead different lives. When was the last game anyone attended when nobody left before injury time?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
"Bad fan" label. Haven't you progressed from playground comments? :bla:

And the ;) at the end suggests it was tounge in cheek. Haven't u progressed from primary school intelligence? I see u decided not to reply to my quote back. Why make a beeline and tell me what my opinion is? I can only assume u leave early every game for no good reason due to it aggressiveness on the subject to all posters? Did u leave early at Withdean too?

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
I'll add my name to the 'disappointed' crew.

It's not about being 'Nazis' or wife beaters or any of the other ridiculous over the top responses on here. It's simply disappointing that when we finally record a big win, the stadium is near silent for the last 4 minutes of the match due to the vast amount of people who have left early. Fair enough if you have job/pregnant wife/other important reason to be home, OF COURSE no-one would criticise those people for leaving early, but can anyone seriously argue that that applied to 15 thousand people yesterday?

At the end of the day, footballers are performers and I actually believe that it probably does matter to many of them how loud the crowd is and how many people are still showing their appreciation at the final whistle (read The Secret Footballer for evidence of how much crowds are a part of what they do). By the same token that they probably deserve to look up at a silent empty stadium if they've played crap and lost 2-0, it would be nice if the majority of us could show how much we appreciate their skill and effort by applauding the team off at the end.

I'll go along with all that.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I love the Amex, look forward to every game. Yes I go to away games too when I'm home for the joker that asked.
All the little problems with pies, catering, park & ride etc, I couldn't really give a shit. After Withdean, Gillingham, the remains of our beloved Goldstone in the latter years, the Amex is to me just a wonderful experience. To think this is our home & we are playing at the business end of the Championship with a great team & some very talented players, it's just fantastic.
The only thing that spoils it for me is the amount of supporters that leave early. I find it embarrassing, nothing can alter this fact.
If this upset you early leavers, I'm sorry. Just telling it like it is.
The thing I really love when it happens? A late late winner.
Yes you do have the right to leave early, we all have busy lives etc. I just find a half empty stadium at the end of the game a pit piss poor.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Yup, similar story for me – I had to get back into Brighton for about 5 to pick up family members from a college production. So ended up leaving the ground about 4.25 to be sure of making it on time. Score at the time: 1-1.
Hearing not one roar, but two from Falmer station platform was cheering but galling at the same time. Next time we need three goals in five minutes, just ask me to leave :(

You wimp. Tell your family members they'll have to fricking wait for you. You're watching a football game that you've paid good money for. You obviously have not made it clear to your family that the Albion comes first. Crap excuse.

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
I actually turned round to the old man a few minutes towards the end and said in reference to everyone leaving early: "Can you imagine this happening at home to Palace if we were winning 4-1?"

Sadly, I can.

I can also imagine the shit-storm it would cause on here afterwards; and rightly so IMO.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
I love the Amex, look forward to every game. Yes I go to away games too when I'm home for the joker that asked.
All the little problems with pies, catering, park & ride etc, I couldn't really give a shit. After Withdean, Gillingham, the remains of our beloved Goldstone in the latter years, the Amex is to me just a wonderful experience. To think this is our home & we are playing at the business end of the Championship with a great team & some very talented players, it's just fantastic.
The only thing that spoils it for me is the amount of supporters that leave early. I find it embarrassing, nothing can alter this fact.
Yes you do have the right to leave early, we all have busy lives etc. I just find a half empty stadium at the end of the game a pit piss poor.

100% this.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
100% this too.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there

Well said.

I can only speak from experience of where I sit in the ground and the ones that leave early tend to be the ones who still berate players for "going backwards" instead of hoofing it up the pitch, or who actually support Premiership teams and watch Brighton out of convenience or curiosity. I've nothing against new fans - far from it - but sometimes I'd be happier with a crowd of 17,000 if it meant losing some of the less appreciative people in our crowd.

zoogull

zoogull
May 29, 2008
Herstmonceux
If everyone left after the final whistle there would be even more congestion than there is at present.

We have more than 4 times as many fans at the game than there were at Withdean, and it puts pressure on all the services. I would imagine that getting out of the car park takes ages. People avoid being stuck in traffic jams when travelling, so how is this any different?

It's good to give the players credit when they turn in a top performance like yesterday, but leaving early doesn't make people lesser fans. We had the same proportion leaving early at Withdean, so you can't blame it all on the new fans.

When we played at the Goldstone it was only 5 minutes to Hove station, and I don't remember people leaving in their droves then.

slartibartfast

Sep 11, 2004
Henfield
Ive only ever left one match early - it was the FA Cup match v Portsmouth in 1994 at the Goldstone - I was in the North Stand, and within minutes realised I was surrounded by infiltrating Pompey fans.. they were all over the North stand.

Then, despite Portsmouth being a division up, and outplaying us, we scored at the south stand end, ... the guys around me got grumpy.
Then, we defended for our lives in the second half, until about 10 mins or so from the end, they "scored" .. but it was dissallowed! We couldnt see why, as it was in the south stand end... I felt it was all going to kick off in the North Stand, so with about 5 minutes left, I left the ground and stood in Hove Park opposite to wait for the final whistle, (so that I would at least know the score, going home). I only left for my safety.

I really really cannot understand those who leave a game early - but each to his (or her) own....

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I really don't get it, why leave any game early ?

But each to their own

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Its a load of wank, one off and exceptional reasons fair enough, but most people who left saturday, left because they felt no reason to be there, if that five minutes means so much to them then its up to then but please don't come on hear defending your reasons you are f***ing pathetic end of.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports