Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] 3rd Investec Test: England v Pakistan at Edgbaston, Aug 3-7, 2016

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
...Agreed. I also think that when the ball is roughly half hitting the stumps, that should be out, rather than sticking with original decision. More like a quarter hitting, then fair enough.

With the forthcoming playing condition change in October, the bowlers are going to get an extra half-a-stump width on both off and leg sides (so now, rather than half of the ball hitting the middle of the off or leg stump, it will be half of the ball hitting the outside edge of the off or leg stump).

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci-icc/content/story/1031741.html

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Saturn

Vicarious
Feb 11, 2016
I think this will be a competitive total. TMS yesterday was saying that the average 1st innings total was around 260. Also good to see Ballance with a good innings, he started to look like the player he was before NZ and Aus exposed his technique.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think this will be a competitive total. TMS yesterday was saying that the average 1st innings total was around 260.

I think so too. I reckon we'll see England batting again just before, or after, tea today

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
With the forthcoming playing condition change in October, the bowlers are going to get an extra half-a-stump width on both off and leg sides (so now, rather than half of the ball hitting the middle of the off or leg stump, it will be half of the ball hitting the outside edge of the off or leg stump).

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci-icc/content/story/1031741.html

I dont understand this because if any part of the ball was hitting any part of the stumps surely that would dislodge the bail so that should be the criteria for LBW. If I am wrong in my assumption please explain why and how.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I dont understand this because if any part of the ball was hitting any part of the stumps surely that would dislodge the bail so that should be the criteria for LBW. If I am wrong in my assumption please explain why and how.

They make an allowance for error in the ball-tracking, because it is predictive rather than an actual measure of fact.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I accept that but still baffled as to why it shouldnt be any part. With technology it is virtually full proof as to the expected route of the ball once it has passed the popping crease towards the stumps.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I accept that but still baffled as to why it shouldnt be any part. With technology it is virtually full proof as to the expected route of the ball once it has passed the popping crease towards the stumps.

and that is why you have a margin for error (which they are reducing significantly with this change)... and give that benfit of doubt to the on-field umpire. Nothing very baffling about it, really.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Morning [MENTION=82]pasty[/MENTION].

Looking forward to today. Low scoring Test matches are often very exciting!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
What a start!

Poor wafting shot from Hafeez. Good low catch by Ballance.

0-1 (0.4 overs)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
0 - 1

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here