Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] 3rd Investec Test: England v Pakistan at Edgbaston, Aug 3-7, 2016

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
People rarely discuss that batting a little longer can actually make you more attacking. It sounds like a contradiction but bear with me.

If we declare overnight and pakistan make a good chance then cook will start to push the field back because scoring just over 300 in a day is not that hard in the modern game. Imagine a big drive sees an edge and the ball goes through third slip at a catchable height to be picked up for a single at third man. If we declare now this could happen quite early but if we attack for one hour to score 70 runs then we can keep the catchers in because the runs are less important.

Personally I reckon that Pakistan are very skittleable which is not a word but you know what I mean.

Think 300 would be very difficult in a day if a fielding team went properly defensive. No field restrictions and can bowl leg side and wider (and slow the over rate down), so very easy to restrict scoring if necessary - you're right, a slightly larger total takes the loss out of the equation, but it also increases the likelihood that the oppo won't go for it and will try to block out. The attacking option is to give them a fighting chance, but where they'll have to take risks to go for it - the overnight declaration will do that but can't see it happening. 30-60 mins this morning, declaring at 350 ahead or when Bairstow gets his 100 if quicker perhaps.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I am a Somerset cricket fan and we lost a match a few weeks ago vs Middlesex when we declared setting them 300 in about 55 overs. They won with a few balls to spare. If we declare now then they could bat sensibly until and tea scoring say 140. This would leave 160 off 36 overs which is very possible in the modern era.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Here we go... the final day of the 3rd test match.

England leading by 311 with 5 wickets in hand and 90 overs to play.

A quick dash... and an early declaration would set up a great day!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
20 off the first over of the day from Yasir Shah... :clap2:

150 partnership come up :clap2:

Current partnership 152 runs, 28.3 overs, RR: 5.33 (Ali 79, Bairstow 71)

331 lead

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Now seemingly waiting for Ali to get his ton. Cook might look a bit of a twonk if we end up one or two wickets short now.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Captan Cook declares... England 445-6, leading by 342

Pakistan have 84 overs to score 343, England to get 10 wickets.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
They could go for this as it is only just over 4 an over and one good stand could swing it. To ensure they dont we need 2 or 3 wickets before lunch.

As you can see I am no expert just an interested supporter with a basuc opinion. I dont look at things like new balls weather etc.Just runs or wickets required for a victory or ensure a draw.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here