Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

3D Films

Is 3D good?

• Total voters

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Unsurprisingly,the old snob that i am, i don't see much purpose in it. I'll of course be interested to see what Scorsese does with it, but in general it seems there to be a distraction from the story or a complete weakness in the script. I saw Piranha 3D, for wankyman's sake. I think the argument about it working in horror is not all that correct either. What scares us is the unseen and suggested rather than a skeletal claw lunging from the screen toward us. Imagine a 3D The Shining or even something as cheap as a 3D Salem's Lot. We scream at what might be rather than what usually is.
Hopefully the gimmick will be tossed in the bin once more and storytelling is concentrate on a little more.

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
Great for kids films, unnecessary for grown up films ( was going to write adult films, that would be something).

3D gaming however is so much better.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I love 3D, and the more the merrier (if done right)
I was told though that those who get headaches are usually people who have eye sight problems along the lines of:

a)they don't wear glasses but SHOULD.. or
b)they DO wear glasses / contacts, but their prescription is wrong.

I've had laser eye surgery so i have the added bonus of x-ray vision too

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
my tip is stick with blu ray, it's awesome and will last a while - 3D tv has to be a fad that will run out of steam, surely.....

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I love 3D, and the more the merrier (if done right)
I was told though that those who get headaches are usually people who have eye sight problems along the lines of:

a)they don't wear glasses but SHOULD.. or
b)they DO wear glasses / contacts, but their prescription is wrong.

I've had laser eye surgery so i have the added bonus of x-ray vision too

That's not factually true at all.
(the prescription bit, not the x-ray vision)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/01/09/us-headache-3d-idUSTRE6080XO20100109

"There are a lot of people walking around with very minor eye problems, for example a minor muscle imbalance, which under normal circumstances, the brain deals with naturally," said Dr Michael Rosenberg, an ophthalmology professor at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine in Chicago.

He said in a 3D movie, these people are confronted with an entirely new sensory experience.

"That translates into greater mental effort, making it easier to get a headache," Rosenberg said in a telephone interview.

In normal vision, each eye sees things at a slightly different angle.

"When that gets processed in the brain, that creates the perception of depth," Dr Deborah Friedman, a professor of ophthalmology and neurology at the University of Rochester Medical Center in New York.

"The illusions that you see in three dimensions in the movies is not exactly calibrated the same way that your eyes and your brain are. If your eyes are a little off to begin with, then it's really throwing a whole degree of effort that your brain now needs to exert.

"This disparity for some people will give them a headache," she said.

DIGITAL 3D TECHNOLOGY

Dr John Hagan, ophthalmologist in Kansas City, Missouri, and a fellow with the American Academy of Ophthalmology, said some people who do not have normal depth perception cannot see in 3D at all.

He said people with eye muscle problems, in which the eyes are not pointed at the same object, have trouble processing 3D images.

Fawkesy

Apr 11, 2009
im undecided - i think once it branches out more into the majority of films, rather than remaking a film purely for the 3D affect i can see it catching on more and really enhancing a movie.

i think its also a case of as the technology improves (and hopefully some alternative to those shocking glasses) and the price starts to decrease then it will become more popular.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
That's not factually true at all.
(the prescription bit, not the x-ray vision)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/01/09/us-headache-3d-idUSTRE6080XO20100109

"There are a lot of people walking around with very minor eye problems, for example a minor muscle imbalance, which under normal circumstances, the brain deals with naturally," said Dr Michael Rosenberg, an ophthalmology professor at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine in Chicago.

He said in a 3D movie, these people are confronted with an entirely new sensory experience.

"That translates into greater mental effort, making it easier to get a headache," Rosenberg said in a telephone interview.

In normal vision, each eye sees things at a slightly different angle.

"When that gets processed in the brain, that creates the perception of depth," Dr Deborah Friedman, a professor of ophthalmology and neurology at the University of Rochester Medical Center in New York.

"The illusions that you see in three dimensions in the movies is not exactly calibrated the same way that your eyes and your brain are. If your eyes are a little off to begin with, then it's really throwing a whole degree of effort that your brain now needs to exert.

"This disparity for some people will give them a headache," she said.

DIGITAL 3D TECHNOLOGY

Dr John Hagan, ophthalmologist in Kansas City, Missouri, and a fellow with the American Academy of Ophthalmology, said some people who do not have normal depth perception cannot see in 3D at all.

He said people with eye muscle problems, in which the eyes are not pointed at the same object, have trouble processing 3D images.

Cracking research, and i'm not going to argue. Was just told it by an optician...maybe he wanted the trade!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here