Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

3D Films

Is 3D good?

• Total voters

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
Right, I've had a debate with a friend about 3D in films. I was wondering what the consensus of NSC was on the three-dimensions!

I personally find it an unnecessary headache and even Avatar was still rubbish with the 3D :shrug:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's not like 3D of the 80s, it's much more subtle and supposed to just add a bit of depth to the image, rather than make things jump out all the time. It's supposed to be good with sports, won't it improve as more films are well made with it?

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
It's not like 3D of the 80s, it's much more subtle and supposed to just add a bit of depth to the image, rather than make things jump out all the time. It's supposed to be good with sports, won't it improve as more films are well made with it?

Oooh yes, I have heard 3D football is pretty good, but have yet to see a match!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It darkens the screen, and adds nothing if the film isn't shot in 3D, unfortunately the majority of 3D films weren't shot in 3D, so people have rarely seen the benefits of it. The tickets are so expensive that expectations are higher, or at least people are less forgiving of mediocrity, and thus the studios have shot themselves in the foot by overusing it with films that they shouldn't have (Harry Potter 7b, alice in wonderland, clash of the titans, green lantern, tangled, Thor, Pirates of the Caribbean 4, Kung Fu Panda, and so on)

I think for horror movies it adds to the experience, things popping out of the screen make you jump and flinch and horror movies tend to be darker, so the darkening effect of the 3D technology isn't such an issue (if the darkening is taken into consideration).

If the studios saved it for only when it added to the experience, and only when the film was shot in 3D, it would be much more successful than it has been, and I don't think Hollywood want to give up on it yet, but it is on the decline.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
If a film needs 3D, it can't be that good a film. If it is done properly and enhances it then fine, but if it's tacked on it can undermine the strength of the actual film.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Agree that if done right, it can look good, and that it tends to work better for the background stuff, giving it depth rather than having things jump out at you from the screen.

And 3D football is pretty good, much to my surprise. I imagined it to be crap, but it does add to the viewing experience in my opinion.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
load of bollocks if you ask me, but my kids love them..... I always think it's exciting during the credits but then the novelty rubs off quickly threafter

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
At first it's weird and takes a few minutes to get used to it. Then you get used to it and don't notice it's there, so why have it in the first place?

rockypaul

May 23, 2011
I am a regular film goer and have recently seen two 3d films, I fell asleep in both , took my grandson to see yogi bear & Transformers
never fall a sleep in a normal film

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I have 3D TV for sports,footie,boxing,it certainly makes a difference to these. As to films,most of them are childrens films,cartoons,the odd popsong,but little else,there is only one 3D channel on Sky...217,so you are limited for a viewing choice.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
saw tranformers recently in 3-d and saw harry potter, would say transformers was pretty good 3-d, i think action films and horror films are good in 3-d

but films like harry potter where not as much action happens its pretty pointless....now final destination in 3-d is good...

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
If you like subtle 3D here is a little trick that I discovered and shared here some time ago. It works on any TV. The only restriction is that you must wear glasses normally to watch the TV.

Now while watching the TV remove the arms of your glasses from you ears and rotate them up and over to face the TV. Your glasses will now be back to front but the prescription will still be on the correct eye. Continue to view the TV through your glasses and be amazed.

You have not been charged for the information.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here