Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

£30m Of Costs, £14m Player Wages, £16m on ?????

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
In this case we are in danger of quite literally putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5.[/QUOTE]

Aha! You had the same maths teacher as me.It's no wonder Mr Gove wanted a return to "O" levels when so few are capable of these simple sums.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I dont think it will be long till there is a revolution on players wages. With new rules the clubs wont be able to afford them and the general public, in this time of recession, find the sums pretty disgusting.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
i thought transport was closer to £300k per game not £100k...............not sure where I heard that.

***Simplistic Maths alert***
Taking 22k people travelling from Haywards Heath on the train would add up to a total of £127600 per game so with 23 games a season thats a total of just under £3 million per season. This does not include away supporters or casual fans or admin charges which will add to the cost. 22K paying £30 a season transport cost will be £660000 leaving a short fall of £2 million +.

By no way exact but it does give an indication of how the transport costs are costing the club.

In the dark distant days of my banking "career" I was told that "profit (or loss) is an accountant's opinion, cash is fact". As someone has already mentioned, wait for the accounts.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Here is what Barber said in the interview:

To the 2012 financial year end, the club employed a monthly average of 178 full-time staff, up from a monthly average of 115 in 2011.

Average part-time (matchday) staff numbers rose from 389 in 2011 to 495 in 2012.

Clearly, these all come at a price.

“Our total staff costs in the 2012 financial year were around £14million on a turnover of over £22million,” explained Barber. “In the year prior to this our total staff costs were around £7million on a turnover of around the same number, £7million, so our turnover has trebled and our staff costs have doubled in 12 months.

“Inevitably, as part of this, our playing staff costs have gone up as we are now playing at a higher level.”

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
Far too simplistic views from people. Profit isn't as simple as Turnover - Costs.
Unless anyone here has seen the accounts then its hard to say exactly where the loss has been generated. What rate is the club depreciating its assets? Do we have any long term commitments? Interest payments, staggered transfer fee's etc.
Wait and see is the only way.

Also worth noting Cardiff made mega losses . . . around £13m.
Derby made a loss of £8m like us and they haven't got a perceived expensive squad, no brand new stadium, and they have had steady gates just north of 20k for a long time.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Can everyone shut the hell up for a moment. All these guesses and speculation about this and that. let's all just back up for a second...:

sporks for the 1901'ers :(

They have sporks in 1901?!

Isn't this the bigger issue for everyone? Screw the losses! How come 1901 get sporks and the rest of us don't?! That is the big issue.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Which would show in the stadium accounts not the club accounts.

True, but that also depends on what the club have actually paid for - or rather what is allocated to the club - as far as the assets are concerned

- - - Updated - - -

Can everyone shut the hell up for a moment. All these guesses and speculation about this and that. let's all just back up for a second...:

Isn't this the bigger issue for everyone? Screw the losses! How come 1901 get sporks and the rest of us don't?! That is the big issue.

We have sporks in the North Stand

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton

We have wooden sporks in WSU too :shrug:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Until the accounts are published and a forensic accountant picks the bones out of them we don't honestly know for sure.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Player signing-on fees and paying agents?
That's probably a hefty chunk of the £16m.
I'd imagine that staff wages are probably around £8m or so.

I think the whole playing budget is about £8 million as well, we are well down the league on spending, team like Leicester and Palace who have big donors or are gambling on a jump to the big time.

Were costs for consultancy and proposals for the new training facilities around at this time as well.

I think as the new fair play rules grip we will be on of the stronger (non parachute payment) teams. We have to be within £5million pound loss next year to meet them. I see the prem clubs can be within about £120 million loss!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I think the whole playing budget is about £8 million as well, we are well down the league on spending, team like Leicester and Palace who have big donors or are gambling on a jump to the big time.

Were costs for consultancy and proposals for the new training facilities around at this time as well.

I think as the new fair play rules grip we will be on of the stronger (non parachute payment) teams. We have to be within £5million pound loss next year to meet them. I see the prem clubs can be within about £120 million loss!

The maximum loss that can be incurred next season is £8M , £6M in 2014/2015 and £5M in 2015/2016 , this includes the additional equity an owner can shove in. Premier League clubs can aggregate their losses over 3 seasons to a £105M cap.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
It will be interesting what happens to the big clubs and with other clubs around Europe as well, with regard FFP. Look at Barcelona, I know their ground holds just short of 100,000 people but paying Messi 211,000 euros per week after tax plus all the other players, how are they going to be within FFP rules, especially when they don't get anywhere near the money from TV that Prem clubs do?

It seems we are sticking to FFP, which is great, not sure everyone else will though.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
It will be interesting what happens to the big clubs and with other clubs around Europe as well, with regard FFP. Look at Barcelona, I know their ground holds just short of 100,000 people but paying Messi 211,000 euros per week after tax plus all the other players, how are they going to be within FFP rules, especially when they don't get anywhere near the money from TV that Prem clubs do?

It seems we are sticking to FFP, which is great, not sure everyone else will though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbes'_list_of_the_most_valuable_football_clubs

Barca (and Madrid) are a marketing dream

- - - Updated - - -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbes'_list_of_the_most_valuable_football_clubs

Barca (and Madrid) are a marketing dream

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

I've never seen a Spork in the Profile Lounge

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Look at Barcelona... don't get anywhere near the money from TV that Prem clubs do?

Eh?

Last season:

Real Madrid TV revenues 200 million Euro
Barcelona TV revenues 180 million Euro
Manchester United TV revenues 129 million Euro

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Madrid and Barcelona rake in the TV money because they negotiate independently of la liga, whereas premier league teams negotiate tv deals as a group.

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
In this case we are in danger of quite literally putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5.

Aha! You had the same maths teacher as me.It's no wonder Mr Gove wanted a return to "O" levels when so few are capable of these simple sums.[/QUOTE]

WTF who in the hell are putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5, everyone knows the answer is 7

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here