Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2nd Test: England v Pakistan, Old Trafford

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Not enforcing the follow on is a modern and very risk-averse strategy that's been deployed since the Aussies came unstuck a couple of times (in India maybe?). But in this situation I think the decision is bordering on criminal. The Pakistanis would've had to bat very well not to lose by an innings, and even if they got a lead it wouldn't be many and there's no evidence that the pitch will deteriorate so much that we'd be in danger of getting rolled over for less than 100 in the last innings.
Dreadful decision making and I almost hope it rains and forces a draw.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Cook appears to not favour enforcing the follow on as he has done this a number of times. In fairness we have usually gone on to win by a handsome number of runs but surely it makes life more difficult to bowl them out for the 4th innings even if , which is unlikely, they had set us to bat again following on..

You're right he does seems to go down the defensive route, and also having got ourselves into that superior position we do go on to win. But what troubles me is that if we stuck them in and they'd batted well for say five session and scored even 500 we could have gone in last and banged them off. But now Cooky has put us in and if we bat for only two sessions. They bat last and play with a straight bat this could still end up as a draw. IMO he's turned a stonewall win into a likely win. :shrug:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I really can't see any rationale to support not enforcing. Everything points towards bowling in these conditions and the series scoreline.

If the weather denies us with Pakistan 7 or 8 down there will be some tough questions put towards Cook & Bayliss.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Given that the lead was 391, I think following on would have made much more sense, especially considering the infamous Manchester weather. Also, there's a few players in Pakistan's top order who are really struggling for runs and will be relieved to not have to bat again today.

I think if the lead was only 200-250, then there would have been a stronger case for deciding against following on, but not with such a big lead.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
But now Cooky has put us in and if we bat for only two sessions. They bat last and play with a straight bat this could still end up as a draw. IMO he's turned a stonewall win into a likely win. :shrug:

England won't bat much past lunch tomorrow and will look to score quickly in the morning, setting Pakistan over 500 to win. 4 and a half sessions will be a long time to hang on unless further rain is forecast.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
England won't bat much past lunch tomorrow and will look to score quickly in the morning, setting Pakistan over 500 to win. 4 and a half sessions will be a long time to hang on unless further rain is forecast.

66/1 for a pakistan win so anyone questioning this should lump it on. will be ok.

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
Pleased Cook batted again because he's given his batsmen the chance of practice and will give day 4 spectators more to see.
Mainly though because it gave day 3 spectators, including my nephew, the chance to see England bat.
Pakistan have no chance of avoiding defeat, if you think otherwise then it makes it more interesting.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Why are England STILL batting ?

:ffsparr:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
England 161-1 (29 overs), Cook 70* (75 balls) Root 65* (45 balls)

Lead is 552... it is more about time than runs. I would expect a declaration some time around 12:10.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here