Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] 2022 Drought - Hosepipe ban imminent?

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I just got this from them
The use of a hosepipe or sprinkler will be restricted from Friday 12th August for our customers in Kent and Sussex...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-62404637

this is for south eastern water- not southern. looking at the website Southern have applied a ban on parts of Hampshire and Isle Of Wight, but not in the rest of their area- i expect it wont be long though

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
You're absolutely right - water is precious and should be treated as such - however we have plenty of water in the UK - just not all in the right place - we need a fully functioning 'National Grid' for water supply.

It's a shame that the water companies have such appalling records on leakage rates - savings on water by issuing a hosepipe ban is a drop in the ocean compared to leakage rates.

The South East is gong to have massive issues with water shortages in the future unless between them the water companies do something about leakage rates/building new reservoirs and the housing developers are made to ensure they build houses in the right places - i.e. where they can guarantee supply.

i read once Thames Water had a 13 month lead time for permission to fix mains. unless a leak breaks the surface and it becomes an emergency, they cant dig up the roads. thats convienent for them of course, saves having to pay for replacing it all. objection to a national grid comes from environmental groups who worry about cross contamination of waterways.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
As has been said elsewhere the issue in the UK isnt particularly a lack of water, its a lack of water in the right place. As historically there hasn't been a water supply issue the transportation of water across the country was never envisaged to be necessary. The infrastructure simply isnt there to move water from the north and west of the country to the east and south.
The water networks are primarily local supplying relatively small areas, even down to specific cities and surrounding area, with very limited ability to move water very far, unlike gas and electric, where its relatively easy to move surplus from one area to almost any other area in Great Britain

Although very costly in the short term , given that this issue isnt going anywhere, I would have though some form of national grid needs to be created ASAP

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
indian-squaw.gif

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Geez…….it’s hammering down nature is for sure evening things out….not sure I’m going to get much work done today

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here