Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

20+ goals a season striker?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I keep seeing this recently yet everyone was raving about our defence except for that sticky patch over Xmas when we played Boro. So who are we going to replace at the back and who are the better players we are likely to get. Got to confess I am struggling to think of a better back line at this level than Bruno, Goldson, Dunk, Bong and Stockdale. Apart from cover do we really expect to get a better defence in next season?

However I can definitely see plenty of room for improvement in our striker options :shrug:

I think the stats might be odd this year. I am sure we've been best defence in the league conceding about 42 before but came fourth this year. Looking at 2014/15 table, six teams scored more than 72 goals and only Middlesbrough conceded less than 42 so your perception is probably right.

Personally, I think the back five will be Stockdale, Rosenior, Dunk, Goldson, Bong next season with Maennpa, Bruno, Huhnemeier and a new centre back and left back as back up. As you say, we're not going to get much better than that.

Midfield may well be Knockaert, Stephens, Kayal, Skalak if they can keep them all with Sidwell, Towell, March, LuaLua and Murphy as reserve so possibly only Sidwell on a permanent deal there. The strikers are definitely the area we need to improve and hopefully we'll be in a good position to attract a couple of quality players.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Surely the ideal answer to replace BZ as an older experienced proven striker is either Murray, Crouch or Lambert depending on wages required etc. A young striker as No 1 choice is a bigger risk but we have been lucky or the recruitment team proved right with Ulloa and Hemed, In midfield I would like us to go for somebody like Lansbury or Huddlestone as the forward AM to compete with Stephens rather than Sidwell except as a possible back up to Kayal.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I wish people would drop the Murray thing. Do we really need someone with his temperament rocking the fantastic togetherness at the club? Plus he isn't exactly a spring chicken.

For me the striker(s) will come from abroad, unheard of talent that will come good. I trust out scouts, they've done well in recent years.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I keep seeing this recently yet everyone was raving about our defence except for that sticky patch over Xmas when we played Boro. So who are we going to replace at the back and who are the better players we are likely to get. Got to confess I am struggling to think of a better back line at this level than Bruno, Goldson, Dunk, Bong and Stockdale. Apart from cover do we really expect to get a better defence in next season?

However I can definitely see plenty of room for improvement in our striker options :shrug:

Our defensive record is largely not about quality. We conceeded too many from not having a settled defence. Some injuries and suspensions are unavoidable. However older players can be more injury prone.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
If Glenn can secure a decent pay off from Bournemouth I think he will be open to a decent offer from us.

Lets face it Bobby wasnt playing for nothing... we have all his money free straight away.

Murray would have scored a bucket load for us this season.

I would be more than happy to give him a 2 yr deal.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Burnley have £9m Andre Grey, Sam Vokes, and will surely splash their new riches this summer. What about signing Ashley Barnes if they look to offload him...?

(I'm half joking...)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I wish people would drop the Murray thing. Do we really need someone with his temperament rocking the fantastic togetherness at the club? Plus he isn't exactly a spring chicken.

For me the striker(s) will come from abroad, unheard of talent that will come good. I trust out scouts, they've done well in recent years.

That is why he would be ideal we need a proven experienced man to replace BZ hence my suggestion of Murray, Lambert or Crouch. Although the recruitment team have done well a young untried striker is a risk,can we afford to take that chance as per CMS.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Burnley have £9m Andre Grey, Sam Vokes, and will surely splash their new riches this summer. What about signing Ashley Barnes if they look to offload him...?

(I'm half joking...)

He's maybe available. Huddersfield have been linked.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

What temperament are you on about ?.... the more with his temperament the better in my opinion, it was a total myth he was disruptive.

Hes 3 years younger than Zamora.... Still only 32 ! he has plenty of good football left in him, people talk about him like he is 35 !

Just look at what an injury ravaged Zamora gave us this season, Murray is twice the player that Zamora is for us currently.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not forgetting Hot Shot Hamish! His relocation costs from a Hebridean island could be a sticking point though...

That amused me as I am sure we had a player who wanted relocation expenses from us to sign and thus did not sign but for the life of me can't think of his name, I think it was when we were at Withdean.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
You've not considered the wages, which will like be at least, if not more than the transfer fees over the life of the contract. I'd imagine these two would cost in excess of 7m

You have to think that Zamora was on a tidy amount of wages which are freed up, Given a decent pay off from Bmuff i think Glenn would not be expecting to earn anything like he currently is.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
That amused me as I am sure we had a player who wanted relocation expenses from us to sign and thus did not sign but for the life of me can't think of his name, I think it was when we were at Withdean.

Petrol money actually. Anyone remember who?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I am dizzy reading this thread already.

This is fact.......Work has already started on next year BUT look at last years recruitment. How many of those signed did any of us predict. One or two at the most.. We have a recruitment team with contacts all over and I suspect very few on here will be correct in our predictions.

Its great to have all this speculation because it gives us something to do when there is no football to focus on so yes lets play Fantasy Football Manager but don't be surprised if all our predictions are wrong again

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here