Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 2 and a half hours before we could leave?!?

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
The route back to the city centre was the equivalent of a bus leaving the Amex to get to Brighton city centre by going to Lewes, doubling back on itself, going down the A27 to Shoreham and then round the houses to get to Brighton.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Thought Albion fans were incredibly patient there. Could have been very different.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
2 and a half hours, the majority of the Albion fans were penned in by the French police. Absolute shambles to say the least and that’s being kind.

We should give them the same treatment in December, but we won’t.
Significant improvement, in 1984 I went to France v England in Paris, post match 2 hours kept in ground, then when allowed to go kettled into an underpass, teargas thrown and when we were allowed to leave quite put out with streaming eyes the baton treatment from the Gendarmes.

Glad things have improved.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Me and the bro just pushed through at 10.15ish .... brave move but no one stopped us. F the police.

Nice few drinks at copper bay bar and a speakeasy next to it

seagull 1979

Praying for points
Aug 29, 2011
Bicester
It was a military operation getting us in and out of the ground, it could have been a scene from a Hollywood movie with so many armed police and road blocks

All their fans I met in the city were very friendly, so to it must be said were the French police, I saw them posing for many pictures and selfies with our fans.

Their support was something to behold but all the ultras talk felt it was made to be something it wasn't although that of course could be a result of the measures they've put in place

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Too many people panicking about the ultras element went down the port post game not a problem apart from a few lairy teenagers for some reason they were offering us breakfast. Sadly didn’t take them up on their offer didn’t look like they could afford it.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Is it done purposely to basically grind down/piss off fans so that they just want/need to get back to hotels and not tempted to go on the piss after the game I wonder?!
Has to be a factor, they don’t really care about the away fans safety I imagine, it’s basically to tire you out

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Ok can someone please tell me.... could you get in the ground without being on one of the bus? Heard so many conflicting stories.

Just can't believe they would turn people away for making their own way there

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Glad some people are mentioning that the police seemed ok - I had a chat with some of them in the square when things were getting late and a bit frantic; they explained about the safety problems with getting there yourself by tram etc were because “Marseille fans are idiots”! (He was from Normandy.) One of our number did that and saw the kick off. Most of us didn’t.

Point being that the awful delays before and after were down to dreadful decisions taken higher by (presumably) the clubs and the authorities. Unacceptable.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Glad some people are mentioning that the police seemed ok - I had a chat with some of them in the square when things were getting late and a bit frantic; they explained about the safety problems with getting there yourself by tram etc were because “Marseille fans are idiots”! (He was from Normandy.) One of our number did that and saw the kick off. Most of us didn’t.

Point being that the awful delays before and after were down to dreadful decisions taken higher by (presumably) the clubs and the authorities. Unacceptable.
It's a human rights issue too,... you as an individual citizen who has legally purchased a ticket, has every right to travel to a game in the manner, and at the time of your choosing..... Uefa and the club's have a right to control you once you arrive at said venue, for the greater good, of course, but they have zero jurisdiction over you before or after the event is complete, whilst you are in the process of implementing your personal private travel and social arrangements, surely?!.

Why not send Barber a question on these points, it is wholly unacceptable that citizens were detained and prevented from going about their daily lives for 2, 3 or more hours.... none of you were suspected of, or had committed any crime.

...and don't get me started on them telling you that parts of the city are out of bounds.... it's none of their bloody business where you choose to spend your time.

Last edited:

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
It's a human rights issue too,... you as an individual citizen who has legally purchased a ticket, has every right to travel to a game in the manner, and at the time of your choosing..... Uefa and the club's have a right to control you once you arrive at said venue, for the greater good, of course, but they have zero jurisdiction over you before or after the event is complete, whilst you are in the process of implementing your personal private travel and social arrangements, surely?!.

Why not send Barber a question on these points, it is wholly unacceptable that citizens were detained and prevented from going about their daily lives for 2, 3 or more hours.... none of you were suspected of, or had committed any crime.

...and don't get me started on them telling you that parts of the city are out of bounds.... it's none of their bloody business where you choose to spend your time.
Human rights? Er no. The human rights covenant doesn't cover travel to football matches, and they weren't detained...of course the state can prevent people doing things for the safety and security of them and others.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I got the metro to the ground at about 5pm. Took 13 minutes from the stop next to the square. Then after asking a steward where I needed to go I just wandered in to the downstairs car park where the entrance was. I knew the “you HAVE to be bussed in” line from the club and Sussex police was bollocks!

After the game why couldn’t they let people do the same if they wished? Sure keep us in for 45 minutes and clear the area then let people do as they chose. Especially when all they are going to do is dump you in the centre of town (via Calais) to fend for yourself anyway?!?

Oh and don’t get me started on not letting people use the toilets whilst we were being held in the stairwell. Thankfully the riot police got involved and the steward with short man syndrome relented.

I got back into La Juliet nearly 4 hours after the game ended. Bonkers when it’s 13 minutes away by metro.

Did the 100ish that got left behind by the busses just after 11 have to wait until those busses and dropped off and gone back?

Anyone there last night no longer has the right to moan about getting away from Falmer!!

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Is it done purposely to basically grind down/piss off fans so that they just want/need to get back to hotels and not tempted to go on the piss after the game I wonder?!
Certainly they’ll be nasty elements of the home fans who’ll get tired waiting about for some possible aggro for a few hours. I suspect that was their consideration more than worrying about what we might do, they didn’t want us to get hurt.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Human rights? Er no. The human rights covenant doesn't cover travel to football matches, and they weren't detained...of course the state can prevent people doing things for the safety and security of them and others.
No, I wholly disagree..... your rights do not get trumped by authorities at the whim of a set of faceless officials... 45 minutes after, or even before the game if you want to stretch the point, but outside of that window it becomes detention, illegal detention of a law abiding citizen.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
It was a military operation getting us in and out of the ground, it could have been a scene from a Hollywood movie with so many armed police and road blocks

All their fans I met in the city were very friendly, so to it must be said were the French police, I saw them posing for many pictures and selfies with our fans.

Their support was something to behold but all the ultras talk felt it was made to be something it wasn't although that of course could be a result of the measures they've put in place
They have decided to pander to the ultras. It would be cheaper to round up the ultras - who must be known to the police - and put them under house arrest, then let the rest of us go about our business.

I hope Marseille fans have a brilliant experience at the Amex and that we don’t rush to the bottom and become like that. Change comes through modeling good behaviour.

Salty_Seagull

Quality over quantity
Jul 2, 2015
Brighton/Hove

Police were generally friendly, especially the one that was a spitting image of Solly

Attachments

• 20231005_222526.jpg
    20231005_222526.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 110

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
No, I wholly disagree..... your rights do not get trumped by authorities at the whim of a set of faceless officials... 45 minutes after, or even before the game if you want to stretch the point, but outside of that window it becomes detention, illegal detention of a law abiding citizen.
"It becomes detention..." No it doesn't. And what you believe and what is actually the case are obviously two different things.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here