Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] 1st Test: England vs New Zealand @ Lords

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Sessions like this make me realise how starved we are in the bowling department. Anderson can still cut it at the highest level, but has never been outstanding against Australia. Broad gets a lot for not many in one Test, and then fades out for many more.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Soon to be 100 without loss, not very good.
Michael Clarke would have mixed it up and try to force something to happen, but not Captain Cookie.
He is like a pendulum, so predictable.

I think this sums it up. It might not happen, but you just want a captain to try to force something. Vaughan was brilliant at setting really odd fields, throwing a bowler in for a couple of overs. It might not work, it might be worse, but it's trying something. Cook just seems to want to wait for something to happen. He's just got no real intuition for creating something out of nothing.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Will we ever see another fast bowling partnership like Statham and Truman or Willis and Botham?

Yeah, in a few weeks time when Mitchells Johnson and Starc come ashore.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Will we ever see another fast bowling partnership like Statham and Truman or Willis and Botham?

Harmison/Hoggard & Broad/Anderson were all effective in pushing us up the test rankings.

Statham and Trueman didn't actually play together in that many tests did they ?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Warne is right, it's exactly how Cook uses his spinners - wait until nothing else is working, then throw them in with 2 batsman perfectly set. Would Have liked to have seen Ali just have a couple of overs here and there to break it up, see what happens. We're absolutely predictable. This could be a 1 innings match for NZ.

QUALITY BALL FROM ALI!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Warne is right, it's exactly how Cook uses his spinners - wait until nothing else is working, then throw them in with 2 batsman perfectly set. Would Have liked to have seen Ali just have a couple of overs here and there to break it up, see what happens. We're absolutely predictable. This could be a 1 innings match for NZ.

QUALITY BALL FROM ALI!

Warne is an absolute airhead... who was a great talent as a bowler... and talks pretty much unadulterated, and deliberately provocative, bollocks as a pundit. I turn to TMS whenever he is on the Sky commentary.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Warne is an absolute airhead... who was a great talent as a bowler... and talks pretty much unadulterated bollocks as a pundit. I turn to TMS whenever he is on the Sky commentary.

He's called that one absolutely spot on. 33 overs of pace bowling with no reward, 2 overs of spin and a wicket. All he was saying is why not trust your spinner and throw them the ball earlier to see what happens.

Now the wickets are falling! but they're already 150 on the board. Good catch from Ballance.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Well there you go, wickets like buses. Wait hours for 1, then 2 come along at once

Guptill c Ballance b Broad 70

148/2

Good that we've got rid off both batsmen that were settled in

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
He's called that one absolutely spot on. 33 overs of pace bowling with no reward, 2 overs of spin and a wicket. All he was saying is why not trust your spinner and throw them the ball earlier to see what happens.

Now the wickets are falling! but they're already 150 on the board. Good catch from Ballance.

If your spinner is Shane Warne then maybe... but Moeen Ali, really??

He was just saying how unlikely it was that Ali would get a wicket, coming on to bowl when the two batsmen were so well set...

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Blimey... it's all happening out there... that would have been out by yards if Broad had managed to hit the stumps :nono:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here