[Cricket] 1st Test: England vs New Zealand @ Lords

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Has to be KP...
Great test match and a great result for us this time. However for the next game and when the mighty Aussies roll in to town would we be better of with Balance or KP?

yes, I know he's not popular, but I'm sure many people here have worked with people they were not keen on, but for the greater good for the company or England the best people should be in the side.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
A superb advertisement for proper Cricket, the last five days puts T20 firmly in its place......

I just came back to this thread to post something very similar. The last 5 days have been a brilliant advert for test cricket. Think it was great that Lords let under 16's in for free today, so hopefully that will increase their interest in proper cricket.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Great test match and a great result for us this time. However for the next game and when the mighty Aussies roll in to town would we be better of with Balance or KP?

yes, I know he's not popular, but I'm sure many people here have worked with people they were not keen on, but for the greater good for the company or England the best people should be in the side.

:ffsparr:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

:ffsparr::ffsparr:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

Would be very harsh to drop Ballance who has 4 centuries in 12 matches and averages 55. That was a highly spirited display by England, and could galvanise us for a tough summer. I'm not looking past Headingley next week we will have to be on top of our game to beat an excellent test match side.

KP is undoubtedly a world class batsman but his also a world class knob end so maybe this young England team would perform better with him left out.

What a great test match, superb skill levels shown by each team and great to see Cook back in form, if he can stay in and blunt the new ball and Mitchell Johnson it gives our exciting middle order stroke players license to thrill and I would fancy our chances if we can post 400 regularly first innings.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Yeah let's raise morale.......:D:D

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
KP is undoubtedly a world class batsman but his also a world class knob end so maybe this young England team would perform better with him left out.

nail.gif

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Yeah let's raise morale.......:D:D
I don't understand this morale business.

Cricket is not really a team game. Its 1 batsmen against the bowling team.

While fielding you can have KP on the boundary so he doesn't upset anyone.

When I seen him being interviewed he never seems to come across like Adolf Hitler.

Dressing room stuff ? There not children, sort things out like adults.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Bit of a difference between batting against Leicestershire's pie chuckers and Mitchell Johnson, I'm pretty sure KP would twang a calf to avoid his image and average taking a battering.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Bit of a difference between batting against Leicestershire's pie chuckers and Mitchell Johnson, I'm pretty sure KP would twang a calf to avoid his image and average taking a battering.
He seemed quite up for the challenge of Australia's bowlers this summer, more so than Stuart Broad by the evidence of his batting recently.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I don't understand this morale business.

Cricket is not really a team game. Its 1 batsmen against the bowling team.

While fielding you can have KP on the boundary so he doesn't upset anyone.

When I seen him being interviewed he never seems to come across like Adolf Hitler.

Dressing room stuff ? There not children, sort things out like adults.

Not sure if you're fishing, clueless or just never played the game. Cricket is mostly played in the head. It's about confidence, even cockiness. One guy disrupting the atmosphere, getting his mate Piers Morgan to slag you off every time you get a low score and then texting his chums in the oppo hilariously about it would be the last thing you'd need. The KP question is all about if he did those things and if he'd do them again. I wouldn't risk it for 50 extra runs or so, especially given how we've played today and yesterday.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

Yes, England are clearly short of aggressive middle order batsmen at present. :ffsparr::ffsparr::ffsparr:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
He seemed quite up for the challenge of Australia's bowlers this summer, more so than Stuart Broad by the evidence of his batting recently.

?????? I think you are getting a bit mixed up, Stuart Broad started as a bowler who could bat a bit, now he is pretty much just a bowler, he was never, ever going to bat 3 or in the middle order.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports