[Music] 1982. Music had changed for the better. Post your game changers.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I didn't meet 'she that needed to be impressed by being into the same bands as her' until early '82. That's when my proper musical education started.

:lolol: :bowdown: :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Good muso thread, my lovelies. Thanks for posting :thumbsup:
[MENTION=21262]birthofanorange[/MENTION], you could of put a large gin in the top of my lager ???

:lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Another one for your ‘look how much I know about 80’s music’ thread Harry :thumbsup:

https://youtu.be/ULqxiUK6kOs

You're on ignore. No idea why? Just checked your post and....as you were. You have absolutely no clue, do you? But feel free to piss all over the thread. I won't check yout twattery again. :wanker:

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Good muso thread, my lovelies. Thanks for posting :thumbsup:
[MENTION=21262]birthofanorange[/MENTION], you could of put a large gin in the top of my lager ???

:lolol:

I may well of done, it was a bit mad in there, :lolol:

I do recall many mishaps in there, particularly the times I used to throw/spin a bottle of juice in the air, before catching it the right way up and using the opener in a flash....until a bottle of tomato juice had a loose cap. Jeez.....it looked liked there had been a massacre. :lolol:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
These were the top 50 selling songs of 1982 - look how many bands and singers from the list went on to have great careers . So many . Music started going downhill in the mid 90’s and has been going downhill ever since . Little creativity any more , too much formula rubbish . Record companies & tv shows make acts not the acts defining their own look and sound like most did in the 80’s , especially the early 80’s.

Come On Eileen Dexy's Midnight Runners 1
2 Fame Irene Cara 1
3 Eye Of The Tiger Survivor 1
4 The Lions Sleeps Tonight Tight Fit 1
5 Do You Really Want To Hurt Me Culture Club 1
6 Pass The Dutchie Musical Youth 1
7 I Don't Wanna Dance Eddy Grant 1
8 Seven Tears Goombay Dance Band 1
9 Ebony And Ivory Paul McCartney With Stevie Wonder 1
10 Town Called Malice/Precious Jam 1
11 Golden Brown Stranglers 2
12 Mad World Tears For Fears 1
13 Mickey Toni Basil 2
14 Love Plus One Haircut One Hundred 3
15 The Model/Computer Love Kraftwerk 1
16 Oh Julie Shakin' Stevens 1
17 Goody Two Shoes Adam Ant 1
18 Heartbreaker Dionne Warwick 2
19 Only You Yazoo 1
20 Don't Go Yazoo 2
21 Walkin' On Sunshine Rocker's Revenge 4
22 Zoom Fat Larry's Band 2
23 Save Your Love Renne & Renato 1
24 I Won't Let You Down PHD 3
25 Just An illusion Imagination 2
26 Starmaker Kids From Fame 3
27 Hard To Say I'm Sorry Chicago 4
28 Abracadabra Steve Miller Band 2
29 The Look Of Love ABC 4
30 Centrefold J Geils Band 3
31 House Of Fun Madness 1
32 The Land Of Make Believe Bucks Fizz 1
33 Maid Of Orleans Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark 4
34 Young Guns (Go For It) Wham! 3
35 Ain't No Pleasing You Chas & Dave 2
36 Save A Prayer Duran Duran 2
37 It Ain't What You Do Fun Boy Three With Bananarama 4
38 A Little Peace Nicole 1
39 Hungry Like The Wolf Duran Duran 5
40 My Camera Never Lies Bucks Fizz 1
41 It Started With A Kiss Hot Chocolate 5
42 Fantasy Island Tight Fit 5
43 Dead Ringer For Love Meat Loaf 5
44 Inside Out Odyssey 3
45 Torch Soft Cell 2
46 This Time (We'll Get It Right)/England,We'll Fly The Flag England World Cup Squad 2
47 Say Hello, Wave Goodbye Soft Cell 3
48 I've Never Been To Me Charlene 1
49 Mirror Man Human League 2

Presume this is a piss take post? Around 90% of the above was utter shite.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Compared with the 60's, 70's and (to a lesser extent), the 90's, the 80's were (and remain) a much maligned decade, to a lot of people. I have come to see that era more fondly, as there are so many songs that actually were really memorable, and it surprises me how many I still know the lyrics to.....even though I didn't particularly like them at the time.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Presume this is a piss take post? Around 90% of the above was utter shite.

Our sixth form had an all male miserablists corner of half a dozen rockers creaming themselves over Angus of ACDC and Def Lepperd. They really, really hated the countless other music genre of the 80’s, all the dance, post punk and new wave fun being had by everybody else.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Not sure I’m reading the question properly but if it’s about personal game changers in music, these are the events for me.

1972 one of my first gigs as a young teenager was at the Worthing Assembly Hall to see Hawkwind. I went to see them after liking the single they released which for a long time I thought was about a sewing machine.
Just saying that the light show, and seeing Stacia plus listening to Space Ritual left a lasting impression!

Next up Bowie, Queen Bitch on the tv. A transformation from the dull existence of early seventies Britain dominated by miners strikes and the three day week. A look into another world.

Ever heard of a bloke called Led Zeppelin? Neither had I until I bought Led Zep II. Turns out they were a group.

Highway Star from Made in Japan. Loud as you can please.

Me and Mrs Jones by Billy Paul. Confused me a lot. How could I love this and rock at the same time? Was it allowed? Certainly frowned upon in the seventies. Thank god youngsters of today don’t confine themselves to genres in the way we did then.

Pretty Vacant. Rekindled my faith in music after a lean spell, which was also the case when I heard Rock ‘n’ Roll star by Oasis when I had fell out of love with the majority of 80’s music.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I can still trace my 80s "aha!" moments in music but none were in '82. Both were on the telly though.

Almost exactly 39 years ago in March 1983 this suddenly came on Top Of The Pops and I remember stopping and watching transfixed. I'd never heard anything like it.

Six years later it was this. Watching Snub TV with my brother, an absolutely superb indie music programme that was improbably on BBC2 at around tea time. I just thought "who are these people and where do I find them?".

It did help with the Mondays that I'd just left sixth form where you weren't cool unless you listened to The Smiths and Psychedelic Furs on repeat. Two amazing bands but, well, y'know....

As for that 1982 top 50 list there's some good stuff, some awful stuff and some average stuff but it's certainly diverse. The 80s in general produced an unbelievable range of music and shows like TotP, Old Grey Whistle Test and Snub brought all of it to us. My overwhelming take on the list is not how many went on to great things but how end of an era it is. Town Called Malice was the last great Jam song, Adam Ant turned FULLY shit with Goody Two Shoes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports