Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] 1982. Music had changed for the better. Post your game changers.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If I’d known I had to be talking about game changers in the 80’s only I wouldn’t have posted anything on the thread. The arrival of electronic music, my most disliked genre :shrug:

I think I might be the only person I know who finds Gary Numan’s repetitive shite completely unlistenable btw

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Funnily enough, 1982 was the year that I started giving up on rock/pop music. It was the year that I stopped buing NME, a paper I'd bought every week for ten years and my obsessive collecting of vinyl started grinding to a halt - I bought just three albums that came out that year. It didn't get better in the following years either :(

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not sure I’m reading the question properly but if it’s about personal game changers in music, these are the events for me.

1972 one of my first gigs as a young teenager was at the Worthing Assembly Hall to see Hawkwind. I went to see them after liking the single they released which for a long time I thought was about a sewing machine.
Just saying that the light show, and seeing Stacia plus listening to Space Ritual left a lasting impression!

Next up Bowie, Queen Bitch on the tv. A transformation from the dull existence of early seventies Britain dominated by miners strikes and the three day week. A look into another world.

Ever heard of a bloke called Led Zeppelin? Neither had I until I bought Led Zep II. Turns out they were a group.

Highway Star from Made in Japan. Loud as you can please.

Me and Mrs Jones by Billy Paul. Confused me a lot. How could I love this and rock at the same time? Was it allowed? Certainly frowned upon in the seventies. Thank god youngsters of today don’t confine themselves to genres in the way we did then.

Pretty Vacant. Rekindled my faith in music after a lean spell, which was also the case when I heard Rock ‘n’ Roll star by Oasis when I had fell out of love with the majority of 80’s music.

It was about the music of exactly 40 years ago, really, but it would be churlish to quibble over a sincere reply :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This came out just before I left the UK (1982 is pivotal for me for many reasons - apologies for the self indulgence, but you know what I'm like....)

Dolby's firts album is quite brilliant. He played football for ITN a bit before I started playing for their Sunday side, and he was apparently an aggressive little bugger on the football pitch :lolol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsHW7ikAPVo

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
1964, as a 13 year I suddenly took a massive interest in music, so many songs but this one sprang to mind when I read the OP. No game changer just an awakening

Oh hang on this thread is just HWT’s memories, our musical tastes are diametrically opposed :lolol:

https://youtu.be/4-43lLKaqBQ

Probably 1964 for me too, when I was 11.
Stuff like the Animals, the Rolling Stones (Little Red Rooster, It’s all over now), Them (Van Morrison, Baby Please don’t go.) the Pretty Things, Manfred Mann, the Yardbirds. ……. And there was all the (less interesting) Merseybeat stuff as well

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This. Truly the golden age of music. What a joy it was to be alive in such a time

You were just having a decade long sulk, as you have firmly established in posts passim :shrug:

(I rather like that Sayle effort. I have it on my iPod :thumbsup:).

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Probably 1964 for me too, when I was 11.
Stuff like the Animals, the Rolling Stones (Little Red Rooster, It’s all over now), Them (Van Morrison, Baby Please don’t go.) the Pretty Things, Manfred Mann, the Yardbirds. ……. And there was all the (less interesting) Merseybeat stuff as well

Same for me Dave, we're the same age.

:thumbsup:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Mmmmm.
Just checked the 1982 charts for some inspiration. No.1 best selling was Come on Eileen, no inspiration there. Jam had just arrived on the scene along with the Stranglers but Macca & Wonder were still around along with other 70's hangers-on like Shakin' Stevens, Adam Ant, Duran Duran and Soft Cell. Very little 'disco' remained until Bowie made a come back in '83 with Let's Dance.
So for me the biggest single that wasn't a hit (first time around) but lit up the dance floor of Rain was this one-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsyHQgiem8c

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

So many good songs to choose from - some already mentioned - but I'll choose just this one.

Released in 1982, this is still such a beautiful song, albeit one with a cheeky intentional double entendre. ('Save it, fellator')

The least enthusiastic audience of all-time on OTT clearly didn't appreciate it as much as yours truly.

Dave Wakeling says of this song:

"I wrote it when I was a teenager. I wrote it before The Beat started. And it was about turning from a teenager to someone in their 20s, and realizing that the effortless promise for your teenage years was not necessarily going to show that life was so simple as you started to grow up. So it was about being lost, about not really knowing your role in the world, trying to find your place in the world. So, you couldn't find your own way in the world, and you'd have all sorts of people telling you this, that, and the other, and advising you, and it didn't actually seem like they knew any better. So it was like keep your advice to yourself. Save it - for later."

35 years later, it accompanied a young Peter Parker uncomfortably preparing to meet his date, and her parents, before the homecoming dance.

And with a world on fire, the lyrics of existential angst are timely.

'Black air and seven seas are rotten through
But what can you do?'

So this is really for all of us who feel lost in these uncertain times, whatever age we might be.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Ever the traditionalist, 1977 was the game changer year for me

Thin Lizzy/Sensational Alex Harvey/Eddie and the Hot Rods/Doobie Bros at Reading

Stiffs live tour at The Top Rank suite with Elvis Costello, Nick Lowe and Ian Drury

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Mmmmm.
Just checked the 1982 charts for some inspiration. No.1 best selling was Come on Eileen, no inspiration there. Jam had just arrived on the scene along with the Stranglers but Macca & Wonder were still around along with other 70's hangers-on like Shakin' Stevens, Adam Ant, Duran Duran and Soft Cell. Very little 'disco' remained until Bowie made a come back in '83 with Let's Dance.

Not sure if you are being serious here :shrug:

You say Jam had just arrived on the scene along with Stranglers …….in 1982?
The Jam were calling it a day in 82 after arriving on the scene in 1977, The Stranglers had also been on the scene since back then.

Duran Duran and Soft Cell, am I reading that correctly, 70s hangers on? Both 80s acts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here