Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1901 Success to failure in 5 seasons?

Feb 14, 2010
For a premium price there needs to be a premium product. 4th from bottom of the second tier of English football does not warrant a premium pricing strategy. The Albion are just very very lucky to have the support they have. Very few clubs in the country would sell any premium tickets and get gates of 23000-30000 for a relegation scrap in the Championship. Wouldnt it be nice if the team matched the support and then they 1901 seats would fly out the door. Unfortunately, TV money is far more important and our team hasnt been good enough to be in the top flight.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
It's Hove Born & Bred. I recognise the attempt at a 'journalistic' style of writing and, more noticeably, the habit of placing a space before and after a comma.

And he's got previous for this.

I also put a space before and after a comma but like to think I don't write :shit: 100% of the time (90% maybe :lolol:)

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
As a holder of two good WSL seats at £650...With in my opinion better view than the back of 1901 mid tier..I have considered but refused 1901 tickets.. The problem 1901 members will find getting back into normal season tickets will be the lack of better ones available.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
For a premium price there needs to be a premium product. 4th from bottom of the second tier of English football does not warrant a premium pricing strategy. The Albion are just very very lucky to have the support they have. Very few clubs in the country would sell any premium tickets and get gates of 23000-30000 for a relegation scrap in the Championship. Wouldnt it be nice if the team matched the support and then they 1901 seats would fly out the door. Unfortunately, TV money is far more important and our team hasnt been good enough to be in the top flight.
Give our academy a chance to produce some decent players and maybe we can have both.

Southampton and Palace for example, used their academies to produce players that would otherwise commanded prohibitive fees for them to buy in and therefore were able to put together a better squad without having to splash out premium prices to secure their services and only had to add a few signings to their side to get the team they had.

We haven't really had the quality out of our old academy (except for defenders) whilst at Withdean and hopefully we can now produce the types of players who will make a real difference for all areas of the pitch but it isn't instant.

Spend, spend, spend on expensive players like Premier League flops, trying to buy instant success is potentially very damaging to the club long term and doesn't guarantee anything

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

No inside knowledge at all, but there's essentially been a five year price freeze, so expect a five year price hike.

Additionally, this is now a Barber-led Albion and he's clearly far sharper commercially than the team who set 1901 up. As such, I think most have discussed the possibility of greater segmentation within the 1901 Club. If this is, again, a once-in-five-years opportunity to shape the 1901 Club then I would expect quite a shake-up all round.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I think a lot of people are being unrealistic here. The club priced what in effect are corporate seats too low to begin with. As mentioned above this is part of the reason Brown got the boot. There are loads and loads of 1901ers who are just people that fancied treating themselves. That is not the principle aim of that area. I expect a pretty hefty price rise, and for corporates to move in and fill any void of 'treat' fans who feel it is too expensive. You only have to look at how quickly the club looked to increase the amount of corporate areas they have, to see the demand there is, imo.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
No inside knowledge at all, but there's essentially been a five year price freeze, so expect a five year price hike.

Additionally, this is now a Barber-led Albion and he's clearly far sharper commercially than the team who set 1901 up. As such, I think most have discussed the possibility of greater segmentation within the 1901 Club. If this is, again, a once-in-five-years opportunity to shape the 1901 Club then I would expect quite a shake-up all round.

Oh, and this.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
As such, I think most have discussed the possibility of greater segmentation within the 1901 Club. If this is, again, a once-in-five-years opportunity to shape the 1901 Club then I would expect quite a shake-up all round.

When this was discussed previously I know of at least one other person as well as me who asked the question directly to the club about next seasons arrangements and the possibility (rumours) that members (fans) would be forced to move to different seats, the response from PB below:

• we already have many local businesses as 1901 members, as well as many long term supporters and season ticket holders that wanted access to a lounge as well as great seats.

• many 1901 members are already regular purchasers of corporate hospitality; others prefer to use access to their lounge on a more casual basis – both are fine by us.

• separately, we already offer limited match-by-match hospitality in one of our 1901 lounges; this will continue - and it doesn’t affect existing 1901 members seats in any way

• after what is already 4+ years experience of our 1901 club, there’s bound to be some tweaks and changes to our renewal offer; more details soon.

• there can be no room for complacency and we’ll always want to improve things where we can, but our research shows majority of members being very happy with 1901 as is.

• finally, if our works budget allows, we may also look at one or two new/innovative offers to potentially extend the 1901 club; these will not adversely impact existing members.

For some reason there are those who just can't wait for an expected massive hike in prices, and the subsequent "rats leaving a sinking ship" response from the members (fans). Of course it's going to increase, of course there will be changes and some will leave. Why is it the garner of such negative interest on here, rather than seeing it in a positive light, a successful endeavour by the club to help fund the Amex, the team and the future for BHAFC?

Don't get me wrong, I was a very vocal critic of some of the set up for the first couple of years, it was a debacle especially with regards the catering, and the car park. The club have improved much (most) of this, and, as most STH do, we have worked out our matchday routines to suit, just like fans do everywhere.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
It's not a failure at the moment. But to sell the majority of the seats next season and further will be the true test of Barber's business acumen. He needs to get the price, and to a lesser extent the package, just right. There's a limit to how high he can price it and personally I can't see much argument for going much over what we currently pay.

Correct - we'll all be renewing unless it really is ridiculously priced. I think the OP may struggle with evidence to back up his claim.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
For some reason there are those who just can't wait for an expected massive hike in prices, and the subsequent "rats leaving a sinking ship" response from the members (fans). Of course it's going to increase, of course there will be changes and some will leave. Why is it the garner of such negative interest on here, rather than seeing it in a positive light, a successful endeavour by the club to help fund the Amex, the team and the future for BHAFC?

I've no idea whether you're grouping me as one of "those". If so, and to be clear, there's no desire from me to any of what you describe, although I do expect hefty increases, but well-judged so as to not leave the 1901 sparsely-populated when the dust settles.

Don't get me wrong, I was a very vocal critic of some of the set up for the first couple of years, it was a debacle especially with regards the catering, and the car park. The club have improved much (most) of this

Great news on the catering given some scathing comments from you on these very pages, during the last of which from last season you indicated you don't really get involved in the catering any more.

August 2012: http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?250448-1901-catering-price-hike-justified
August 2013: http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?284381-1901-Club-food
October 2014: http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...ns-and-club-staff/page3&p=6612992#post6612992

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I've no idea whether you're grouping me as one of "those". If so, and to be clear, there's no desire from me to any of what you describe, although I do expect hefty increases, but well-judged so as to not leave the 1901 sparsely-populated when the dust settles.

Great news on the catering given some scathing comments from you on these very pages, during the last of which from last season you indicated you don't really get involved in the catering any more.

August 2012: http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?250448-1901-catering-price-hike-justified
August 2013: http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?284381-1901-Club-food
October 2014: http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...ns-and-club-staff/page3&p=6612992#post6612992

Correct, I wasn't grouping you in those that can't wait for it to be a failure.

Regarding the comments by me in Aug 2012 and 2013 I don't think there would be much argument from anyone in the Overline Lounge just how appalling it was. In my comments in 2014 I said...

"when that [the level of service and quality] changes, the club will see an increase in revenue, I'm sure that will include more from me"

...and that is exactly what has happened, perhaps the complaints and criticisms had the required effect.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
People really think the price on these will go up? I am fully expecting a price freeze on these and even then would expect a (speculative opinion) 65%-70% renewal. The marketing team will then have to try and flog those that need replacing..

I do feel some of our fans / to a degree in occasions the club itself, have this assumption that prices in things can never go lower and a small increase is acceptable. A price freeze would feel like a good thing for most - but really it's obviously paying the same for a service that people are paying now...

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
People really think the price on these will go up? I am fully expecting a price freeze on these and even then would expect a (speculative opinion) 65%-70% renewal. The marketing team will then have to try and flog those that need replacing..

I do feel some of our fans / to a degree in occasions the club itself, have this assumption that prices in things can never go lower and a small increase is acceptable. A price freeze would feel like a good thing for most - but really it's obviously paying the same for a service that people are paying now...
Of course the price will go up. It has been frozen for 5 years whilst other prices have gone up. There will be a major drama on here if the price doesn't go up.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Another reason why I believe prices will jump...

When I got my season ticket, the price of 1901 felt pretty steep to me. Not steep relative to the (perceived) product offering, but for my affordability. It wasn't something I really considered.

Today, and I'm certainly no wealthier, the current price feels far more affordable. I'd seriously consider 1901 now if those I tend to fraternise with did the same.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Another reason why I believe prices will jump...

When I got my season ticket, the price of 1901 felt pretty steep to me. Not steep relative to the (perceived) product offering, but for my affordability. It wasn't something I really considered.

Today, and I'm certainly no wealthier, the current price feels far more affordable. I'd seriously consider 1901 now if those I tend to fraternise with did the same.
In the season we had most games with cup runs and assuming I would have bought a programme anyway as I always did pre Amex, it cost me £35 a game. Considering the match day prices, that isn't bad for front row of the middle tier.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Of course the price will go up. It has been frozen for 5 years whilst other prices have gone up. There will be a major drama on here if the price doesn't go up.

A major drama ismf it doesn't go up? That proves my point - we're far too excepting of this - I think it's cos the Amex is still fairly new etc and we're still getting used to being a 'big' club with excellent facilities. Just does my head in that everything goes up all the time - fact of life I know but still think some assume it like a norm on here...

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
A major drama ismf it doesn't go up? That proves my point - we're far too excepting of this - I think it's cos the Amex is still fairly new etc and we're still getting used to being a 'big' club with excellent facilities. Just does my head in that everything goes up all the time - fact of life I know but still think some assume it like a norm on here...
I think you are missing my point. If 1901 doesn't rise after 5 years of frozen prices when standard prices have gone up 3 times, there will be large numbers of disgruntled non 1901 members. It certainly doesn't prove your point. No-one wants to pay more but the vast majority of 1901 members will be expecting a rise in line with non 1901 members over the same period. Some, including me, are fearing there will be a larger increase still. But I don't see any evidence to back up your claim that anyone is 'accepting'.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I think you are missing my point. If 1901 doesn't rise after 5 years of frozen prices when standard prices have gone up 3 times, there will be large numbers of disgruntled non 1901 members. It certainly doesn't prove your point. No-one wants to pay more but the vast majority of 1901 members will be expecting a rise in line with non 1901 members over the same period. Some, including me, are fearing there will be a larger increase still. But I don't see any evidence to back up your claim that anyone is 'accepting'.

The evidence is in the thread almost all the way through! Yes, I understand normal season tickets have gone up a bit (annoying to say the least - was it really because the travel subsidy changed or was it pre planned I wonder....) - but corporate is different. Completely different. I'm a normal STH and I really hope the prices don't go up - I want my fellow fans to renew. As many as possible...

I certainly can't imagine normal STH's would be pissed off if 1901 didn't go up - that is just selfish. If they were that bothered then surely they could upgrade to 1901 if the prices stayed the same..

Out of interest, what would you expect the renewal % to be if prices stayed the same or went up no more than £10 extra a month?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm not convinced 1901ers have had a 5 year price freeze. The club would have built some inflation into the 5 year price. But, assuming this isn't the case, I would expect an increase to be no more than the increases of regular season tickets over the past 5 years, anything beyond this will be difficult to justify imho especially given what Barber has told 1901ers eg the "Superphil" letter. He would have to fully explain why he was treating 1901ers differently to other fans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here