Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1901 Club food

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The comments from Barber in the program yesterday are interesting as he questions why people would want to eat elsewhere, does he not read any of what people say about the catering ?

On the train to the ground yesterday there was an East Stand 1901 member who said the £19.50 curry was a turgid disgrace beyond belief.

You would have thought perhaps an open meeting between the club / caterers and 1901 members might be a good idea to try and resolve this.

Barber is claiming if food etc is not purchased this will effect the player budget and club spend so perhaps he is slowly trying to turn this dispute around to blame the fans at a later date when the club cannot invest further in players?

So what he is saying is buy food and drink at the ground and we will buy some players for you, but if you don't we will not be able to afford any players anymore.

That is just crap! Since when has how much people spend at the football been the arbiter of who we can afford. Historically that is not how football has been financed and never has....if FFP dictates that is how football will be run in the future, I think football will implode.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
This is what is actually says:

"Financial Fair Play is, at it's heart, very simple. The more revenue we can generate and lower our costs of operating, the greater our investment in our football operations. Any revenue lost to the club is now lost to the team because, unlike past times, owners, however generous, are not permitted to make up shortfalls without limitation. At our level, this changes everything. And even the sale of food and drink becomes vitally important."

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough

"Financial Fair Play is, at it's heart, very simple. The more revenue we can generate and lower our costs of operating, the greater our investment in our football operations. Any revenue lost to the club is now lost to the team because, unlike past times, owners, however generous, are not permitted to make up shortfalls without limitation. At our level, this changes everything. And even the sale of food and drink becomes vitally important."

So he is effectively trying to guilt trip the fans into paying more money for lower quality food and service?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
So the club is now reduced to a charity for fans to donate to, not a business. This new approach is for supporters to hand over money for not much in return, just because...well you just should, so we can buy players. Never mind what you're getting in return, that's not what's important here, any more than if you give to a cancer charity or whatever.

And if anyone dares suggest that this isn't actually working because it's a bad deal, the hackneyed old FFP card gets played once again.

It's as if the mere thought that offering good value for money would actually bring in more revenue hasn't even occurred to them.

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
Such a shame Lindley's didn't win the contract. Having had the Sunday lunch and eaten in the East Stand Brasserie last season they had the food spot on.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
So the club is now reduced to a charity for fans to donate to, not a business. This new approach is for supporters to hand over money for not much in return, just because...well you just should, so we can buy players. Never mind what you're getting in return, that's not what's important here, any more than if you give to a cancer charity or whatever.

And if anyone dares suggest that this isn't actually working because it's a bad deal, the hackneyed old FFP card gets played once again.

It's as if the mere thought that offering good value for money would actually bring in more revenue hasn't even occurred to them.

Closer to a cult than a charity if you ask me :shrug:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The guy is a jerk. If he wants us to buy "vitally important" food and drink then provide us with products we want to buy. This is how it works. He's made a total mess of the catering and now he resorts to guilt tripping us.

Who is actually losing money by having too many staff hanging about, with not enough customers to serve? The Club or the caterers? Where does the incentive lie to improve things?

It seems to me that a statement like "The more revenue we can generate and lower our costs of operating, the greater our investment in our football operations" implies that it is the Club that is losing money.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Such a shame Lindley's didn't win the contract. Having had the Sunday lunch and eaten in the East Stand Brasserie last season they had the food spot on.

This. The suggestion was made their pitch wasn't strongest. The pitch is only one element of tending. They surely would have scored highly on the due diligence side of things? I reckon the decision was a financial one. Barber seems to have quite a simple, almost naive, approach to business which is guided simply by numbers.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Barber seems to have quite a simple, almost naive, approach to business which is guided simply by numbers.

I think that is a tad harsh as the majority of businesses these days sadly make most decisions solely on cost only.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Lets hope they put a break clause in the contract and if the standard remains poor we can kick them out.

We have already done this once. Surely the idea first time was to get better caterers in?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Is the East Brasserie still open? I understand it will be turned into the players lounge soon.
Not a wind up but from a good source.

Sorry, sounds like so much bolleaux to me. Have you seen the size of the place? Fair enough, cordon/partition off a wee bit of the space for the players, not the whole damn thing shirley? Besides, where else are we going to go to thaw out if we get another evil winter after the game? Certainly not the concourses.

16 bit 44.1

May 17, 2011
Hove
This. The suggestion was made their pitch wasn't strongest. The pitch is only one element of tending. They surely would have scored highly on the due diligence side of things? I reckon the decision was a financial one. Barber seems to have quite a simple, almost naive, approach to business which is guided simply by numbers.

I wonder if they actually didn't want it. They inherited Azures pricing and had the benefit of operating the contract pre tender. They would have known in very real terms whether they could make it work at existing pricing / staff levels.

It must be possible that with the benefit of that experience it may have looked like a poison chalice to them.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I wonder if they actually didn't want it. They inherited Azures pricing and had the benefit of operating the contract pre tender. They would have known in very real terms whether they could make it work at existing pricing / staff levels.

It must be possible that with the benefit of that experience it may have looked like a poison chalice to them.

Fair point.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Sorry, sounds like so much bolleaux to me. Have you seen the size of the place? Fair enough, cordon/partition off a wee bit of the space for the players, not the whole damn thing shirley? Besides, where else are we going to go to thaw out if we get another evil winter after the game? Certainly not the concourses.

I'm told some of it is being turned into offices for Oscar.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
So the club is now reduced to a charity for fans to donate to, not a business.

Nope. That was the Withdean era when the club WAS technically reduced to a charity.

Now they've got the level playing field they were denied all those long years, its up to them to make it work. They have to supply us with the food and drink at the right time at the right price with the right level of customer service or lose out. Simple as. They wanted customers rather than fans? They've got them!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here