[Albion] £115m

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
We can. He is under contract at Brighton and therefore either leaves under our terms or he stays. If footballers want to do away with contracts and work on a pay as they play basis that’s fine as well. Until that time Tony holds all the aces.
Quite, he's under contract, we can't unilaterally tear it up because Liverpool have put an offer in.

chrisg

Apr 9, 2012
Tell Moises it is Liverpool or stay put until your contract runs out with us

Simple’s. Tony Bloom set a deadline and it has passed.

Chelsea won’t pay 111. And we won’t accept less now.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I think Brighton have played Liverpool a bit here. Liverpool bit stupid not to talk to the players agents first, but they've been punished for doing the right thing
My initial thought. However I think we were always clear that Moises may only want Chelsea.
If Liverpool fail to get him, which is looking likely, they have just made a rival pay more than they had wanted to for a player.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Anticipation Popcorn GIF

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
And we're still very good even without our two stars in midfield. We'll finish in the top half, maybe not top 7, but 10th or above comfortably.
Like you, I'm still confident of a comfortable top 10 finish. Reasonably confident of another Europe qualification, actually. We can already fill the Alexis gap - we have plenty of young players who will develop further and be able to fill that role. Filling the Caicedo hole is more of a worry, but IMO we don't necessarily need to have a "just as good" like-for-like replacement. We might be able to handle it through a formation alteration with existing players, or bring in someone who's got the potential to push on (or, indeed, could it be that someone we already have given more focus on specific development and more game time opportunities grows into the role?)

Given recent history (we covered the loss of Bissouma and Cucurella rather well, and the loss of Potter etc) I'm - for now - going to trust in the club's methods. We'll have a solution in mind, whether that's buying someone in, raising the standard of someone we already have, or maybe a different formation that reduces our reliance on a Caicedo-type player. I think we'll start the season weaker in one position, but stronger in others - hopefully it balances out.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
A player cant be forced to go to a club he doesnt want to. However what this wil question is what kind of deal did chelsea make with his agent? They will say it was personal terms but surely liverpool could match that. However they may not want to provide kickbacks to the agent over and above the standard
He isn’t being forced to do anything. He has a contract at Brighton and can stay if he doesn’t want to go to Liverpool.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
What has happened in football is a mirror of what is happening in wider society (in Britain and elsewhere)

In 1985 the average wage of a footballer in the old first division was £25K a year - two and a half times the average industrial wage. In the old fourth division the average wage was £160 per week - today the average wage is £750 per week.

In 1992 when the PL was established the transfer record was £5.5m - today - we are getting to the point where £100m is not uncommon.

In 1992 the average wage of a PL footballer was £75K a year - John Barnes was the highest paid player on £10K a week - today - the average is £3m a year and some players earn up to £400K a week

In less than 40 years wages in the top division have increased by a factor of more than X100 - while in League 2 the wages have increased by a factor of less than X5. Remember this is the average - there are professional footballers in the UK earning less than £300 a week.

There has been an obscene shift in wealth in football to the top division - and within the top division to the top half a dozen clubs.

The exact same concentration of wealth at the top has occurred in wider society where there has been a massive transfusion of wealth from 99% of the population to the richest 1%. During the pandemic - when millions were on furlough payments - the richest 10 men on the planet doubled their wealth to $1.5trillion. Their wealth increased at a rate of over £12,000 per second. This is all thanks to the policies of the Tories and the Blairites and their equivalent in other countries. It cannot continue - inevitably there will be a major crash and unprecedented upheavals - they don't call the period we are entering the 'Age of Disorder' for nothing.

Roy Race

Apr 15, 2021
Brighton
I think Brighton have played Liverpool a bit here. Liverpool bit stupid not to talk to the players agents first, but they've been punished for doing the right thing
Remember we all thought Ali Mac went cheaply to Liverpool? Perhaps Tony said “you can have Mac for £25m on condition that you put in a whacking great bid for Caceido in the summer to force Chelsea up”!!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Chelsea are now going to pay over £112M for a player from us that they could've had months ago for much less.

Not strictly true as the cost may have been >£110M all along. (I can't help but think there's significance in the odd £1M from Liverpool). I also wonder if a few Twitter 'experts' need the term 'closed bid auction' explaining to them :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports