Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

£10m for Ulloa!!!! **Official that Leo has gone**

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Spurn stuff. Hopefully this means we have finally become a club that doesn't let players go on the cheap.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
When compared to Demba Ba's £4.7m move to Besiktas involving a 29-year-old (1 year and a bit older than Leo) proven Premier League striker, it's quite remarkable what the club have pulled off meaning an almost guarantee that we'll conform to the FFP rules. No bitter taste left in the mouth like when Murray left, more of a taste of champagne I'd say!

You can't compare the two. You would have to consider the value of DB's contract in terms of salary and the benefit to Chelsea to offload him and free up salary for someone else, especially as they have to name a 25 man squad.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I wish him nothing but good luck in the PL, the transfer market has gone mad with Ulloa and Mcormack fetching these mental transfer fees.

I certainly wish him and Leicester well if it means another 2m!

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Spurn stuff. Hopefully this means we have finally become a club that doesn't let players go on the cheap.

Agreed. It's truly great to see. As Bob Dylan once said "times they are a-changing".

Last edited:

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Sorry to sound negative but how much of that do you think will be put back into the squad?

Sorry to sound negative...my arse. You love being negative, you must be gutted! And I love it, but what I'll really love is seeing you with the guts to post on here shortly... How wrong you were.
That said, I really can't believe that Leicester are crazy enough to pay £10 million. I thought they'd been incredibly generous offering 7 mill to be honest.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Just a thought, but I hope our finances for the season aren't underpinned by the sale of Leo. What will happen next season IF we don't go up, and we don't have a player we can make a massive profit on ???

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Wow! Just wow!

I hope someone is wrapping Leo in cotton wool til Monday.

Well played Bloom, Barber and all involved, that is an incredible deal

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Sorry to sound negative but how much of that do you think will be put back into the squad?
Sorry to sound positive, but I expect most of it will be put back. The reasons I think that are:
Over the last few years we've made large losses, on the edge of those permitted within FFP rules.
The loss permitted for 2014-2015 is £3m lower than it was for the year before, and I'm confident (partly based on what he's said, and partly on common sense) TB will be planning for us to spend as much as possible, within the FFP rules (ie, it doesn't make sense to have spent so much and come so far only to give up now).

That doesn't mean I think it will be spent in transfer fees, it will also be on wages and I imagine it could help with the odd decent loan too.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
An amazing deal and yet another indicator of just how the club has progressed. I know transfer fees are inflated but to see an Albion player sold for a potential £10m deal is mind boggling in the context of where we were a few years ago.

Many on here did not want Leo to go but this is excellent business and explains the protracted timescale as we played hardball to get the best deal from LCFC.
Good luck to Leo, he had two decent chances at getting to the Prem with us but its now time to move on.

Meanwhile getting £8m up front means The Albion can now pursue some decent signings and still have some change to help with FFP. The deal for O'Grady looks pretty shrewd too, an experienced striker for £500k. He may not be a marquee signing and might find himself behind AN Other striker and CMS in the starting order, but should be very handy. It feels like a bit of a coup. Decent business all round.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
When did we last let a player go on the cheap? Zamora for 1.5m?

And a certain chairman turned down £2.75M for him from Everton the previous season.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
A pleasing fee up front and potential earnings from it too. Some good work obviously carried out by Barber there, it seems, under strong instruction from TB. If it ends up at £10m then our negotiation techniques at least had them double their initial offer to bag him. I'm sorry to see Leo go, but glad he gets an opportunity to dine in the big league. He's been nothing but decent for us and i hope with all my heart we now get to process our rebuilding fully with some signings that have us as a new un-leo-oriented team as we so surely were all last season. I'm looking forward to the next couple of weeks.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
When did we last let a player go on the cheap? Zamora for 1.5m?

When you compare what we let the likes of Bennett and No one go for to what Palace seem to get for their average players, we have let them go on the cheap.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here