[Albion] £100m January Warchest

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The bigger priority is securing new deals for Trossard, Caicedo and MacAllister and then telling any club that comes sniffing for any of them to ‘do one’ !
I hate to disappoint you, but if bigger clubs sniff around our best players, we'll never tell them to "do one" unless they offer laughably low fees. The whole financial model involves enticing quality, undervalued players here with the promise that we won't stand in their way if the right offer is received. See White, Bissouma and Cucurella for details.

Just be thankful that our best players can only be cherry-picked by a handful of clubs these days. We have progressed so far in the Amex years that historically much bigger clubs than ourselves like Villa, Leeds and Everton simply have no chance of picking up our best players for a song. They only get the players who don't fit in here anymore.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Clubs must be budgeting for the drop in people's disposable income.
Come Jan/Feb with energy bills, food, petrol and clothes all soaring in price, plus mortgage repayments and rents increasing there has to be a drop off in ticket sales and overall fan expenditure.

Although conversely if The Albion are doing well and are financially strong I guess it becomes a buyers market with some European clubs and also Championship clubs needing to sell their best assets.

p.s. It's lucky for Palace fans that their club ring fenced the money for their amazing new stand.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Good chance of losing Caceido in January if he has a good World Cup.

Yup.

He has a price.

Transfers such as those of Fofana, VVD, Slabhead, Grealish and Maguire show that the Big Six will pay astronomical fees for a player with World Class potential.

The fee would surely be considerably more than Cucu’s though.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I hate to disappoint you, but if bigger clubs sniff around our best players, we'll never tell them to "do one" unless they offer laughably low fees. The whole financial model involves enticing quality, undervalued players here with the promise that we won't stand in their way if the right offer is received. See White, Bissouma and Cucurella for details.

Just be thankful that our best players can only be cherry-picked by a handful of clubs these days. We have progressed so far in the Amex years that historically much bigger clubs than ourselves like Villa, Leeds and Everton simply have no chance of picking up our best players for a song. They only get the players who don't fit in here anymore.

Funny how no-one talks about Maupay going and not being replaced anymore... :lolol:

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
Good chance of losing Caceido in January if he has a good World Cup.

No chance. End of the season at the very earliest.

While we wont hold players back Bloom has shown he wont compromise the team before and Moises would be happy to wait a few extra months for a big move.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No chance. End of the season at the very earliest.

While we wont hold players back Bloom has shown he wont compromise the team before and Moises would be happy to wait a few extra months for a big move.
Would he? How do you know? Many of us thought Cucurella would be happy to spend a couple of seasons with us.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
What difference does the world cup actually make to a players price?

Take Caicedo for example. It's often said that if he has a good world cup we'll be inundated with bids for him. He plays in the premier league, every club already knows about him. What will playing well against Qatar tell the clubs who can afford him that they didn't already know? Why will it increase the price?

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
What £100 million war chest I personally think most of it are going towards paying off the club’s debts and increased running costs

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
What £100 million war chest I personally think most of it are going towards paying off the club’s debts and increased running costs
There is and never really has been a war chest for us under Tony ....his strategy won't change just because we've sold a few players for eyewatering sums. He'll buy or sell if the player/price and circumstances are right regardless of other dealings

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption

Take Caicedo for example. It's often said that if he has a good world cup we'll be inundated with bids for him. He plays in the premier league, every club already knows about him. What will playing well against Qatar tell the clubs who can afford him that they didn't already know? Why will it increase the price?

Because it will expose him to a wider audience and make his profile even more attractive, this will push his value up accordingly particularly as his age, language and culture appeal to so many of the top footballing clubs (think Real Madrid, Barcelona etc) , this in turn may force one of the top clubs to bid early in the hope his value doesn't increase too much in effect triggering a bidding war. Players having good world cups always command interest afterwards albeit I'm with you on that and don't really think it makes a lot of sense.

Weezle

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

You're buying a player with an even bigger reputation. They go from being well known in the Premier League to being well known world wide. World Cup 'stars' have regularly fetched big fees after tournaments.

A similar example was the increased fee we could command for Ben White after his England call up.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Because it will expose him to a wider audience and make his profile even more attractive, this will push his value up accordingly particularly as his age, language and culture appeal to so many of the top footballing clubs (think Real Madrid, Barcelona etc) , this in turn may force one of the top clubs to bid early in the hope his value doesn't increase too much in effect triggering a bidding war. Players having good world cups always command interest afterwards albeit I'm with you on that and don't really think it makes a lot of sense.

You're buying a player with an even bigger reputation. They go from being well known in the Premier League to being well known world wide. World Cup 'stars' have regularly fetched big fees after tournaments.

A similar example was the increased fee we could command for Ben White after his England call up.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

So it's basically a shirt sales thing?

Clubs should be buying prior to the world cup in that case.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

It just does!

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
From the press conference introducing the new head coach

Q: Tony, any likely change to your reluctance to do business in January?

A: I don’t think it’s going to change at all. It doesn’t mean that we don’t do things in January and with Roberto coming in, as we have talked about, there are similarities with the way Graham does things. Yes, there is a possibility over the course of the next few months that Roberto will want a certain type of player and that will be an ongoing discussion between now and January but I don’t foresee too many changes on that front.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
But as has been pointed out on another thread, we have done quite a bit of January business over the years. With RDZ onboard I wouldn't be surprised if we looked to bring in a couple of his picks to augment the squad.

Yeh, I don’t know is TB actually said this, but fact is that we clearly do do Jan transfers. We make signing every January, including some of our most significant signings over the last 10 years.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Realistically even if players have a good World Cup it's relatively rare that other European clubs pay big sums for Prem players. I'm not saying it doesn't happen occasionally but in all likelihood any 'huge' or 'bids too good to turn down' are only likely to come from within the Premier League and the big six currently.

Even Barcelona and a few other European big boys are rarely shelling out vast sums for players these days.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

what audience is wider than EPL? maybe a few more bloggers will pay attention, pretty sure scouts and coaches are aware of our top players already. players having good cups get a lot of press interest, dont know if this translates to actual deals or value, think its more something the press say as filler

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Sorry Shakhtar……I’ve got asset stripping on the brain for some reason!

What's the situation for professional Ukrainian footballers?
I know Ukraine insisted all 18-55? year old males are expected to stay and fight but is a professional footballer deemed a reserved occupation an therefore exempt from fighting?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports