Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] £100m January Warchest

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
As El Pres implies, anyone that thinks there is a £100m so called 'war chest' to spend on players is deluded. That money will mostly cover last seasons losses. The whole idea is to buy low and sell high to make the club financially sustainable.

Last season should see a decent profit with crowds back at the Amex, extra prize money for 9th and, most significantly, 70m incoming in transfer fees. Still a way to go to offset the £110m lost over the previous 2 Covid-affected seasons though!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I'm far from an expert, but recent sales are in that ballpark.

I'm also someone who doesn't know Tony personally and doesn't have a backdoor into his thought process on this. But I've watched and listened over the years and what I think he wants is sustainability. I think (and it's of course a guess) that he is happy he's not getting the one off costs, like Covid, the stadium and training facility back. But what he doesn't want is to be losing £50m+ per year and have those losses structured in.

I'm also pretty confident he doesn't view it in one year cycles, so if one year we lose £30m and one year we gain £30m, that's the normal slings and arrows of running a football club. The loans which we take are to help with cashflow and as someone who runs a property business, in which cash becomes available at a much slower timeframe than you need it to be able to successfully run a football club, that makes sense.

My thought almost immediately when hearing about TB and his way of doing things was that he is one or arguably two steps ahead. Sooner or later, and I predict sooner, bubble will burst and there will be internal (clubs in England saying 'hey could we slow down a bit..') and external (TV companies saying 'so yeah people seem to be getting tired of this most cash wins thing') pressure to change the system and that will put Brighton in a good position. The old wild west ended and so will this one.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Okafor would be a good fit for Brighton. He's been transformed since Salzburg moved him from midfield to the forward line. He's in a rich vein of form, having scored in his last three games (including the Champions League match against Milan) and he provided the assist for Sesko's winning goal against Liverpool in the pre-season friendly.
Quite Gross like stats then.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I can see Tross, Caicedo, and Sanchez all on the potential list of targets for other clubs, so for once I think if the worse was to happen it could be a very busy window for a change.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
12 points from the next 5 matches would make us a very attractive proposition for player targets in the January window.

I would add Gross to that list.

It’s interesting that naylor has no real idea who we are looking to bring in …lots of maybes…but it doesn’t look like there is anyone that seems to be a shoe in or someone that has been lined up.

Does anyone believe the conspiracy theories that are hurling about that potter was tapped up in the summer and that is why Cuca went to Chelsea at a very strange price and that was part of the grease to cushion the blow to us of potter jumping ship.

Blues Guitarist

Oct 19, 2020
St Johann in Tirol
Okafor would be a good fit for Brighton. He's been transformed since Salzburg moved him from midfield to the forward line. He's in a rich vein of form, having scored in his last three games (including the Champions League match against Milan) and he provided the assist for Sesko's winning goal against Liverpool in the pre-season friendly.

Okafor scored the winning penalty last night to put Salzburg top of their CL group. Very calmly taken after a long wait for VAR check.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
The bigger priority is securing new deals for Trossard, Caicedo and MacAllister and then telling any club that comes sniffing for any of them to ‘do one’ !

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Transfers out will depend on where we are in the league in January. I will be very surprised if we spend big in January regardless of where we are and 100 million is delusional territory even if we sell 100 million worth of players imo.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Transfers out will depend on where we are in the league in January. I will be very surprised if we spend big in January regardless of where we are and 100 million is delusional territory even if we sell 100 million worth of players imo.

Agree. There's not that kind of money laying around either. But I would not be shocked to see a £20m striker coming in if there is a good one available.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Could we buy just one of Haaland's legs? I'm not greedy - 1 will do.

Also if Caicedo was to go in Jan, could we get Biss back on loan? Spurs don't seem to be using him much and word is he's pretty frustrated already.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Can see Tony flat-out refusing to sell any of our sought-after players in January unless the offers are truly ridiculous, even if it means getting less in the summer for those with less left on their contracts. The sales already made have left him in an extremely strong bargaining position with no need to sell anyone. His track record is now also 100% clear to anyone thinking of making an offer - no ****ing about, meet our valuation or get lost. He is bound to have had this discussion in detail with RDZ ahead of him joining so both are completely clear on the strategy.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Could we buy just one of Haaland's legs? I'm not greedy - 1 will do.

Also if Caicedo was to go in Jan, could we get Biss back on loan? Spurs don't seem to be using him much and word is he's pretty frustrated already.

Biss + 50 million for Caicedo?

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Can see Tony flat-out refusing to sell any of our sought-after players in January unless the offers are truly ridiculous, even if it means getting less in the summer for those with less left on their contracts. The sales already made have left him in an extremely strong bargaining position with no need to sell anyone. His track record is now also 100% clear to anyone thinking of making an offer - no ****ing about, meet our valuation or get lost. He is bound to have had this discussion in detail with RDZ ahead of him joining so both are completely clear on the strategy.

I agree. He will want to fully support his new head coach and a team willing to pay big money for Trossard, MacAllister or Caicedo in January will also want to in the summer.
Our biggest 'wins' will be signing these players to new contracts, if we can.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Hasn’t Uncle Tony already confirmed that we don’t “do” January? I’d be very surprised to see any incomings, and even more surprised to see any outgoings.

But never say never.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Hasn’t Uncle Tony already confirmed that we don’t “do” January? I’d be very surprised to see any incomings, and even more surprised to see any outgoings.

But never say never.

But as has been pointed out on another thread, we have done quite a bit of January business over the years. With RDZ onboard I wouldn't be surprised if we looked to bring in a couple of his picks to augment the squad.

I can image TB approaching a club in January, and saying "how's your cashflow mid-season? I'll tell you what - I'll give you £x for your player now, but you keep him until the summer, when you're TV money, etc kicks in again". He seems to do this quite often - Caicedo, Mac Allister, Moder (albeit after summer window), Undav.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here