Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2016

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I'm going to hazard a guess at the vegetarian set menu that's always on offer.

Fair enough, never been and know very little about the place. But always intersted in hearing about veggie choices.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
My first visit to The Set tonight, and I'm looking forward to it as it seems to be one of NSC's favourites.

I'm assuming I'm the first veggie from NSC to visit.

My summary is: Really imaginative food, well executed -- and good value. Strange place. Poor wines.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Really enjoyed that and, as [MENTION=28490]Machiavelli[/MENTION] says, tremendous value currently. I think they've got a bit of scope to edge those prices higher.

We sat at the pass and the chefs were entertaining, engaging and really added to the enjoyment of the evening.

The veggie menu on their website wasn't quite what we had:

Salsify, beer, malted sour cream, king mushroom
Leek, Mac n' cheese, honey pecans, ash
Jerusalem artichoke, yeast, cranberry, sprouts, brie
Apple, white chocolate, pretzel, walnut

For the third course we actually had a dish which included a large piece of roasted and then pan-fried celeriac, a red onion jam and a fantastic jalapeño rarebit. For the dessert we had: Rhubarb, ricotta, flapjack (currently listed on their website as the dessert for the meaty menu one).

With an amuse bouche and a pre-dessert, I'm really struggling to think of a weak point over the six courses, and we've yet to try the petit fours they gave us to bring home too.

Highly recommended by me for sure.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Really enjoyed that and, as [MENTION=28490]Machiavelli[/MENTION] says, tremendous value currently. I think they've got a bit of scope to edge those prices higher.

We sat at the pass and the chefs were entertaining, engaging and really added to the enjoyment of the evening.

For the third course we actually had a dish which included a large piece of roasted and then pan-fried celeriac, a red onion jam and a fantastic jalapeño rarebit. For the dessert we had: Rhubarb, ricotta, flapjack (currently listed on their website as the dessert for the meaty menu one).

With an amuse bouche and a pre-dessert, I'm really struggling to think of a weak point over the six courses, and we've yet to try the petit fours they gave us to bring home too.

Wow that sounds great, I think I'll have to treat Mrs Braggfan to a visit. Like I say I'm always looking for good veggie recommendations. Cheers for that.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Really enjoyed that and, as @Machiavelli says, tremendous value currently. I think they've got a bit of scope to edge those prices higher.

How much was it (if it's not too impudent to enquire)?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
How much was it (if it's not too impudent to enquire)?

As much as I didn't enjoy my second visit there, or the wines, it has to be said it's outstanding value. I had a non-vegetarian set both times but as [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] says it's really six courses. Non veg ones were in the low £30s when we went.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
As much as I didn't enjoy my second visit there, or the wines, it has to be said it's outstanding value. I had a non-vegetarian set both times but as @Bozza says it's really six courses. Non veg ones were in the low £30s when we went.

That's really good. Next on the list for me then.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Glad you liked it. We went to Isaac's-at the other week, and it's similarly ambitious, but neither as consistent or impressive with their execution as Set in my view. I also like 64 Degrees and Gingerman.
Did they still have that lime bonbon? That was delicious.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Not Brighton I know but went to Hibiscus in Mayfair today for part one of my birthday nosh fest.

Cracking 2 star deal £50 a head for three courses, petit fours and a bottle of wine between us.

Superb ingenuitive French fair. Awesome.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Not Brighton I know but went to Hibiscus in Mayfair today for part one of my birthday nosh fest.

Cracking 2 star deal £50 a head for three courses, petit fours and a bottle of wine between us.

Superb ingenuitive French fair. Awesome.

Must go. I think this is currently regarded as the best value lunch (which used to be Le Gavroche) in London.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Mrs W's birthday weekend this weekend ( strangely I still only get a single day for my birthday ! ), anyway that means we've been out and about.

Thursday night we had Thai at the Office. Really good food. The deep fried squid is the best I've ever had. The main dish curries were very authentic and how they cook all that in a kitchen the size of a bedsit kitchen is beyond me ! 9/10.

Friday night was spent fine dining at Wickwoods Country Club. Fantastic food and probably the best cheese board I've had in a long time. Total bill for two with 3 courses each and a very decent bottle of wine was less than £100. [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] - one for you, while not quite to the same level very Ockenden like. 9/10

Saturday was an old favourite, Giggling Squid in Brighton with friends. As always decent portions and all very well cooked. 9/10

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Mrs W's birthday weekend this weekend ( strangely I still only get a single day for my birthday ! ), anyway that means we've been out and about.

Thursday night we had Thai at the Office. Really good food. The deep fried squid is the best I've ever had. The main dish curries were very authentic and how they cook all that in a kitchen the size of a bedsit kitchen is beyond me ! 9/10.

Friday night was spent fine dining at Wickwoods Country Club. Fantastic food and probably the best cheese board I've had in a long time. Total bill for two with 3 courses each and a very decent bottle of wine was less than £100. [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] - one for you, while not quite to the same level very Ockenden like. 9/10

Saturday was an old favourite, Giggling Squid in Brighton with friends. As always decent portions and all very well cooked. 9/10

You spoil her :)

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Oldroyd; Islington. A very late dinner following opening night at the Crystal Maze thingie, further followed by drinking with the team mates. A small two-storey restaurant in Upper St, with a truly tiny galley kitchen, chef patron: Tom Oldroyd, Ex Head Chef of Polpo (which has never really done it for me).

A short menu; from my booze-addled memory, 5 starters, 5 mains, and a choice of an additional two sides. We shared a starter (rabbit rilettes on home made toasted bread, with pickled carrots). Mains: neck of lamb, roasted red peppers, anchovy, broad beans; steak, with a very hot horseradish (therefore, fresh?) sauce. Sides: Roasted potatoes and onions, big salad with unusual leaves. Two glasses of Minervois (we were both already well oiled) - £55 including tip.

Exceptional cooking with real precision as well as bold flavours, attentive staff, cheap for the quality. A very solid addition to the London scene and well worth a trip.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Som Saa - Commercial St, E1.

Newly opened Thai place by guys who trained in Thailand, Nahm and Begging Bowl. Walk-ins only unless your party is 4 or more.

Menu has 5 sections: soups, wok, curries, grills & salads, with heat varying from mild to absolutely blazing. Have to ask your waiter if you want to know which is which before ordering.

We had: papaya salad, grilled chicken leg, whole deep fried sea bass, pork belly Burnese curry, & duck offal soup; with sticky rice. Each main came with a suitable sauce/salsa. Pudding - we shared a palm sugar ice cream with grilled banana. Cooking was outstanding - probably the best Thai I've had in the UK. Really authentic flavours - deep, complex and precise. A couple of the dishes were described as spicy by our waiter - yep, they were!

They also have an excellent wine list, chosen brilliantly to go with Thai; we had a very reasonably-priced '99 Mosel Riesling Spatlese, which was lovely - lots of petrol and the residual sugar content just right to cut through the heat of the food.

£90 for two, excluding wine. 12.5% service charge included.

Go!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Post Charlton we took in Dukes Brew and Que which is the bar/restaurant of Beavertown brewery. I've been before and it's well worth the visit if craft beer and slow and low BBQ is your thing. Started off with a couple of their excellent blood orange IPAs before tucking into beef rib, pork rib and pulled pork with 'slaw and pickles.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here