Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2016

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Pre-Charlton went to Anchor & Hope on The Cut. Didn't disappoint. Had a cracking bottle of red, a Perricone made by Guccione in Sicily.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Post Charlton we took in Dukes Brew and Que which is the bar/restaurant of Beavertown brewery. I've been before and it's well worth the visit if craft beer and slow and low BBQ is your thing. Started off with a couple of their excellent blood orange IPAs before tucking into beef rib, pork rib and pulled pork with 'slaw and pickles.

Seven of us went to that German Beer kellog:wink: in Borough Market yesterday lunchtime.
The two weird looking miserable birds that served us weren't German but probably Polish hence their demeanour. Don't mention the war :ohmy:
The frankly threatening nazi stormtrooper bellend bouncer watching us try to enjoy our £10 quid for two litres stein? was possibly a second generation lithuanian :eek:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Seven of us went to that German Beer kellog:wink: in Borough Market yesterday lunchtime.
The two weird looking miserable birds that served us weren't German but probably Polish hence their demeanour. Don't mention the war :ohmy:
The frankly threatening nazi stormtrooper bellend watching us try to enjoy our £10 quid for two litres stein? was possibly a second generation lithuanian :eek:

I know the place, it's called Katzenjammer. I've had a few evenings in their post games.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I know the place, it's called Katzenjammer. I've had a few evenings in their post games.

That's the one - the beer zapped out most of us :drink: BUT being a miserable fecker I watched how we were treated in a half filled establishment .

Not a smile/banter or feck all that would make us want to go back.

The bouncer was pretty nasty when we arrived at 1pm and the place empty.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Just a quick note to say I discovered Foodie Eshé a little while ago when I noticed this excellent home-made Albion Guess Who?

It's a really lovely written and nicely photographed Brighton food blog and I look forward to their updates appearing in my Inbox. I've invited Eshé and Simon to share any snippets and reviews here too when they have the time, because I think they'll be a useful addition to this thread, and of interest to those looking for good impartial reviews of Brighton's eating scene.

[tweet]698448676734242816[/tweet]

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside I know that 64 Degrees is named after the temperate to cook a perfect egg. A restaurant near to me called Bandol Sur Mer claims its 65 degrees. This is all.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Pre-Charlton went to Anchor & Hope on The Cut. Didn't disappoint. Had a cracking bottle of red, a Perricone made by Guccione in Sicily.

One of their sister places is reasonably close to my gf's place - Camberwell Arms in the up and coming foodie destination (Theo's, Silk Road, FM Mangal, Angels & Gypsies, Crooked Well) of Camberwell Church Street. We went to Camberwell Arms on Friday evening and had a neck chop joint of 18 month old Hogget for 2. Brilliant...

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
One of their sister places is reasonably close to my gf's place - Camberwell Arms in the up and coming foodie destination (Theo's, Silk Road, FM Mangal, Angels & Gypsies, Crooked Well) of Camberwell Church Street. We went to Camberwell Arms on Friday evening and had a neck chop joint of 18 month old Hogget for 2. Brilliant...

Haven't been there yet, but been to A&H 20+ times, and The Canton at least a handful.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
For take away try Curry Inn at seven dials. I thinks it's better than any of the sit down curries I've had in Brighton.

It may well have changed but a number of years ago (probably 5) I got a takeaway from there that I could quite comfortably say was the worst I've had. Bland and containing what looked like tinned vegetables. Might have been an off night or it might have upped its game but on that night's evidence there are far better in Brighton.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Time for a bounce me thinks. I work round the corner from Bills and have now had breakfast there twice and takeaway bacon sandwiches twice ( each time I've given them the benefit of the doubt ). The breakfasts are pretty poorly cooked and not very good value for money. They are also bread laden - good way of padding it out !!!! Their bacon sandwiches are the worst I've ever had by a country mile. Stale bread ( and once again too thickly cut ), tight on the sauce and bacon so overcooked it shatters like glass ( and some instances could almost be called burnt ). 0/10 - far far better places all across the city for half the price.

Yup. I've been waiting to stick the knife into Bills breakfasts. Stingy, overpriced and barely ok at best.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yup. I've been waiting to stick the knife into Bills breakfasts. Stingy, overpriced and barely ok at best.

Take a look at my monster monster breakfast in the Bethnal Green cafe thread. Those two dishes with 2 tea and 2 coffee came to £18 with excellent entertainment from the owner plus Eric Hall plus no need to eat again until the evening. Quality and quantity all in one.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Going to go to The Urchin this bank holiday weekend I think. Menu at the moment looks delicious and of course excellent range of Craft beers.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Som Saa - Commercial St, E1.

Newly opened Thai place by guys who trained in Thailand, Nahm and Begging Bowl. Walk-ins only unless your party is 4 or more.

Menu has 5 sections: soups, wok, curries, grills & salads, with heat varying from mild to absolutely blazing. Have to ask your waiter if you want to know which is which before ordering.

We had: papaya salad, grilled chicken leg, whole deep fried sea bass, pork belly Burnese curry, & duck offal soup; with sticky rice. Each main came with a suitable sauce/salsa. Pudding - we shared a palm sugar ice cream with grilled banana. Cooking was outstanding - probably the best Thai I've had in the UK. Really authentic flavours - deep, complex and precise. A couple of the dishes were described as spicy by our waiter - yep, they were!

They also have an excellent wine list, chosen brilliantly to go with Thai; we had a very reasonably-priced '99 Mosel Riesling Spatlese, which was lovely - lots of petrol and the residual sugar content just right to cut through the heat of the food.

£90 for two, excluding wine. 12.5% service charge included.

Go!

Just realised I walk past that whenever in our London office in Aldgate Tower. Will check it out

Foodie Eshe

Apr 28, 2016
Hassocks
Hi Darren,

Thanks so much for recommending the blog!

My other half and I both write the features on Foodie Eshe, with me focusing on the latest hot spots around Brighton and Hove and Simon AKA Takeaway Boy, reviewing a new takeaway spot each week. Each week we post impartial reviews on whatever culinary delights, or not, have passed our lips.

To get started, I thought I'd share my Brighton & Hove Food Guide, which includes my favourite spots in the city and is handy if you want a little inspiration >> http://foodieeshe.com/brighton-and-hove-food-guide/.

Each time I write a new post on Brighton's food scene or Simon writes a new takeaway review, we will share it on here.

We'd love to hear your feedback on the spots we review and if you've been there and enjoyed it or not, do leave us a comment.

Thanks guys & up the Albion!
Eshé

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Quality lunch at the Urchin today.

2 of us shared 3 starters as couldn't decide. Deep fried oysters on wasabi, salt pepper squid & crab empanadas. All good but squid was perfectly done. Not rubbery at all.

Mains I had a whole crab in white wine , shallot with spinach. A lot
of work but satisfying and a lot of crab meat from it. Missus had Korean prawns with kimchi which was good value for amount she got.

As well as great shellfish they have about 120 beers from around the world on bottle and 10 on tap. Enjoyed a siren soundwave IPA & Wild Beer Saison.

Always good, gastropub rather than restaurant and nice chilled vibe. Would not be out of place in Brooklyn NY or East London

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
Been trying a lot of food places the last few weeks. These are my current favs-
Ginger fox- fantastic food, but fairly expensive.
Miller and carter- Without doubt the best steak i have had, the fillet and Rib-eye are amazing. Beef dripping sauce is heaven.
Gladstone- Only ever had a roast here, but without doubt one of the best places i have found for a Sunday roast.

Jul 7, 2003
Visited the Imperial China in Worthing last night for Mrs DCH's birthday (it's actually tomorrow but something else important is happening!). Not sure why but it has been many years since our last visit.

Four of us ate starters, had duck and lamb in the middle course and then main courses with sides and drinks and the bill came in at just over £100 which was very reasonable. The service there was as good as ever and the food reminded me that those Chinese buffets are not a patch on a proper restaurant. Also good to see that the owner still welcomes everyone personally as if they were an old friend. Definitely won't leave it as long before going back.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here