Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
OK we best give [MENTION=188]culvers[/MENTION] a few minutes quiet contemplation.

I think he's just learned, the hard way, we are happy to help.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
It's not a 105 groupset.
The bike is a complete mix of 105, Tiagra, & mircoshift Bona and centos :shrug:

Calm down Pogue, it is a 105 rear mech, not 105 groupset. The rest is Microshift, which I have heard a few good things about in recent years, but it certainly is not 105 standard yet.

Geeks! :lolol:

You can tell who spends more time talking about riding than actually riding around here.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Geeks! :lolol:

You can tell who spends more time talking about riding than actually riding around here.
:lol:
Good point well made!!

That's a cracking day out I've planned for culver, I might go with him :lol:

culvers

Jul 6, 2003
Sutton
Cheers guys - really valuable advice and I think you are right [MENTION=12656]Pantani[/MENTION] I should really get out there myself and see what is in the shops. Pearson is indeed a wonderful resource to have so close to my house and they serviced my old bike a few times (until they advised it would cost too much to fix). I had not come accross the other bike shops so will try to visit this weekend.

I have found a few bikes on the internet with "105" groupsets advertised only to find only a couple of parts were actually Shimano 105. One only had a 105 front derailleur and it was advertised as a 105 bike!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Calm down Pogue, it is a 105 rear mech, not 105 groupset. The rest is Microshift, which I have heard a few good things about in recent years, but it certainly is not 105 standard yet.

Ok...I was skim reading in the bath (there's an image that'll be hard to shake). Saw 105, made assumptions without reading further.

Sorry culvers.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Can I just weigh in with another possible option for Culvers?

Why not have a look to see what secondhand bikes are available locally? (Ebay, Gumtree, Friday Ad). Even though secondhand prices aren't always fantastic value at the moment due to an all time high in the popularity of cycling, you'll still likely get a much better spec in terms of group set, wheels, frame for your money if you're happy not to have to have brand new. Plenty of very good condition bikes out there from people selling after just a few rides and discovering cycling wasn't for them. Just be aware of things like frame number (stolen bikes) and making sure it hasn't been in crash.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Cheers guys - really valuable advice and I think you are right [MENTION=12656]Pantani[/MENTION] I should really get out there myself and see what is in the shops. Pearson is indeed a wonderful resource to have so close to my house and they serviced my old bike a few times (until they advised it would cost too much to fix). I had not come accross the other bike shops so will try to visit this weekend.

I have found a few bikes on the internet with "105" groupsets advertised only to find only a couple of parts were actually Shimano 105. One only had a 105 front derailleur and it was advertised as a 105 bike!
Oh 'triffic it's like I don't exist, top advise P :lol: :kiss:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Fear not, I will be out on Saturday morning following your itinerary.
If you don't come back with this, you'll have let yourself and more importantly all of us down, and you should never darken our door again:-

De Rosa Super King SR Chorus/R3

De-Rosa-Super-King-Black.jpg

culvers

Jul 6, 2003
Sutton
Can I just weigh in with another possible option for Culvers?

Why not have a look to see what secondhand bikes are available locally? (Ebay, Gumtree, Friday Ad). Even though secondhand prices aren't always fantastic value at the moment due to an all time high in the popularity of cycling, you'll still likely get a much better spec in terms of group set, wheels, frame for your money if you're happy not to have to have brand new. Plenty of very good condition bikes out there from people selling after just a few rides and discovering cycling wasn't for them. Just be aware of things like frame number (stolen bikes) and making sure it hasn't been in crash.

I think the fear of biking a stolen bike has put me off a little here, but know there are ways of finding out. you are right that cycling has become very fashionable and many people like to have the newest models - or buy bikes and never use them. The Friday Ad was where I got my old bike from - it cost £300 and had hardly been ridden it was a bargain.

The reason I turned to the internet I guess was because I was keen to get a decent bike but I haven't got a great deal of cash at the moment, a discounted 2013 model seemed to fit the bill. A lot of bike shops seem to stock a lot of the high end stuff or have entry level bikes nearer to £750.

Still my tour around Palace territory looking for a bike will give me a better idea of what I am looking for if nothing else.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The reason I turned to the internet I guess was because I was keen to get a decent bike but I haven't got a great deal of cash at the moment, a discounted 2013 model seemed to fit the bill. A lot of bike shops seem to stock a lot of the high end stuff or have entry level bikes nearer to £750.
As a rule we tend not to dip into the bargain basement, Carrera Viking etc.

Another of our sayings is the Boardman range are the best specced range of bikes.
The downside being buying from Halfords

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_991919_langId_-1_categoryId_165710

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I think the fear of biking a stolen bike has put me off a little here, but know there are ways of finding out. you are right that cycling has become very fashionable and many people like to have the newest models - or buy bikes and never use them. The Friday Ad was where I got my old bike from - it cost £300 and had hardly been ridden it was a bargain.

Still my tour around Palace territory looking for a bike will give me a better idea of what I am looking for if nothing else.

I know exactly what you mean about stolen bikes. I bought my bike secondhand by meeting the bloke at London Bridge station and handing over cash. Could have felt shady, but the ad was on Gumtree where he'd posted a very clear picture of the frame number badge on the bike for all to see so I was confident he was genuine.

With your location you'll have loads of choice from London too. I forgot to mention here as well: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=40081

More likely to get a decent Campag groupset again too by going secondhand at the money you're talking about :thumbsup:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
L plates back on, but why does that lovely De Rosa have different wheels?

Do you mean in terms of spoke design?

Same wheelset but front and back have different spoke configuration. It's the same with my Campagnolo Scirocco G3's.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Yup, I was being a simplistic. Am I autistic or something, it just looks wrong. Must be the same...

culvers

Jul 6, 2003
Sutton
As a rule we tend not to dip into the bargain basement, Carrera Viking etc.

Another of our sayings is the Boardman range are the best specced range of bikes.
The downside being buying from Halfords

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_991919_langId_-1_categoryId_165710

I have heard good things about Boardman bikes and them bring very good value for money, but having to go to halfords is quite off putting. I may pop in and have a look seeing as its on my way to Pearson.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I have heard good things about Boardman bikes and them bring very good value for money, but having to go to halfords is quite off putting. I may pop in and have a look seeing as its on my way to Pearson.

Note to self - after being put in my place earlier, stay out of the bike buying advice, stay on my bike.

However...buying Boardman from Halfords is not a problem - excellent bikes for the price. Just make sure that you get your LBS to put it together, or at least be your regular port of call. Buy from Halfords, never go in there again.

That's right isn't it, fellas?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm half in the Halfords are crap rule camp, generally speaking as they've let me down on an order or two, but at the same time I've got some excellent deals from there via the internet for bits and bobs. Cheapest price on the things I needed at the time and sometimes even a buy two items get 3rd item free deals that resulted in big savings. For instance, my track pump was bought from there for a great price and it does an excellent job, as was my basic cateye wireless trip computer. I tend to go where the price is right and have bought from a variety of sources, including the likes of Wiggle and occasionally my LBS too. I'm not one for loyalty to one place if I can get a better deal elsewhere.

Never bought a bike from there though or had work done, so can't comment on that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here