Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The fish and chip debate

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
One thing that frustrates me with the modern chip shop is the lack of fish sausages etc in the warming areas, back in the day a simple request of sausage in batter n chips was in your hand and paid for in under a minute, these days they cook to order, I had to wait 20 mins last month for sausage and chips at Tammys!

Well at least cooking to order, you know that your sausage will be freshly fried, rather than fried at lunchtime, and left sitting in the warming area all afternoon.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Well at least cooking to order, you know that your sausage will be freshly fried, rather than fried at lunchtime, and left sitting in the warming area all afternoon.

It wasn't unknown for some slightly dodgier outlets to re-fry leftover chips from the lunchtime session in the evening. My gripe is that it can be hard to find decent fish and chips after about 9pm these days, back in the day you would often get a bag of chips and a sausage at 10.30 on the way home from the pub, now its all those crap kebabs.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
It wasn't unknown for some slightly dodgier outlets to re-fry leftover chips from the lunchtime session in the evening. My gripe is that it can be hard to find decent fish and chips after about 9pm these days, back in the day you would often get a bag of chips and a sausage at 10.30 on the way home from the pub, now its all those crap kebabs.

Nowadays you pay a fortune in restaurants for triple-cooked chips

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Skin on (fish loses flavour without it), salt and vinegar on the chips. Simple. Classic. Delicious. Lots of good places around Brighton to get them so can't pin down a favourite but the fish has to be fresh, never from frozen.

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
Trident in Eastbourne is the best and they do Gluten free batter, they truly are superb

Thanks for the reccomendation will give it a go this weekend. Been going to Dolphin on Seaside for ages but its not what it used to be. Do you know if Trident does 'scraps' ? Since having fish chips and scraps oop north im hooked !

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Nowadays you pay a fortune in restaurants for triple-cooked chips

Tell me about it, about £4.80 for 15 chips in a tin beaker in Plateau in The lanes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here