Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC Easter Bunny CD 2015

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I forward the notion that anyone who has not reviewed a recieved album by the 1st of January should be publicly humiliated and barred from next years event.

I agree, this should include those that never sent theirs. Luckily we now have a thumbs up/down to use. Nice timing.

My review will arrive soon, I've just penned a live review of DISC ONE. Brace yourself Santa . . . .

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
As for the sender? No idea. I’d have said Tinycowboy as I know that he’s a Throwing Muses and Lemonheads fan, but I believe he’s already been identified as the author of another CD. Albumen himself?

I've got the YLT, Lemonheads and Cocteau Twins tracks, but not the others. Surely this is none other than the work of that man Pevenseagull?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Was considering placing this on my cd but would clearly give the game away.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Before I start the live review I have to declare I’m a little like Staly, I like what I like and I’m rather picky, despite a fairly wide genre liking. The reviews may make me sound ungrateful, but I’m far from it. I can tell from the discs that the sender may have checked my history to find I like both ‘human’ and ‘robot’ music so I’m looking forward to it!
If I get one track that I want to find out more about I’ll be happy.
My main rule is: I won’t skip, even if it’s a 40 minute Gary Barlow introspective by the drummer of Coldplay. And I’ll be brutally honest. I’m going in blind. The tracklisting was added on later.
Here goes the live review: Monday morning at work, needing uplifting interesting music. There’ll be another review before I release it, in a different mood, but lets face it, if the music’s good it shouldn’t matter what mood you’re in. HERE GOES!

Disc 1 “Human”

1) Scot Matthews – Sweet Scented Figure. Alt folk. Twangly folk rock that sounds like it’s been made by thin men in beards. I was into Fleet Foxes for a week but I’ve never been able to go back. It’s not Fleet Foxes and I’ve no idea who it is. Not keen but some nice sounds in there.
2) John Frusciante – Wishing. No, not for me at all. Sounds a little like John Mayall would sound like if I knew his catalogue, a little middle of the road production for my liking. Tempted to skip. Didn’t.
3) James Yuill - This Sweet Love. More folk, sounds more 70’s influenced. Uplifting folk - something I can take in short doses. The last half of the track has a nice 80s nintendo-esque synth backing. Was OK. It might stick a little more 2nd listen.
4) The Last Night – No Mother Knows. More of the same, similar to 4. Images of a small band with a man sitting on a slapboxthing around a campfire springs to mind - I don’t like this. OK, I like the 2nd half when they stop singing and it goes all instrumental.
5) Joseph Arthur – Echo Park. “The Fire never understands the spark”, I’m now in that campfire burning, begging for them to stop. Folk classical with a rock vocal singing about Freedom. Worst of the side so far. At this point I’d like to reassure my Santa I’m still grateful. So far we don’t share musical tastes but I’m loving being forced to listen to something I wouldn’t do normally.
6) Kashmire – Kalifornia. Church organ beginning, nice. Guitar kicks in, got a little oomph to it. Mmm. Ah. Sounds like the same vocals to last track. Rhyming California with ‘yer’. A little too on the rock side to it for my liking, like Kings of Leon.
7) Mew – Repeaterbeater. Woah rock beginning. BLAM BLAM. Then an interesting slightly disjointed (which I like) composition until the chorus. Probably my favourite so far, wouldn’t be surprised if they heard the Cardiacs once in the past.
8) Billy Talent – The Dead Can’t Testify. Proper rock now. Now like a shit Cardiacs.
9) Last Days of Lorca – With All Clarity Touch of post rock/math punk, only without the beauty or interest. Sorry Santa, I told you I was picky. The voice is a little annoying too. Too much emphasis on the rock, more post please.
10) Foals – After Glow - Sounds a little like the Editors meets folk. Preferring this to the previous few tracks. Nice sound, the track hasn’t grabbed me yet but it may do 2nd listen. Something to possibly seek out. <Yep, don’t own any Foals!>
11) Washed Out – Soft. Pleasant enough, sounds like James in a wind tunnel. Not blowing me away though.
12) Baths – Phaedra. Sounds like something that someone made in their bedroom. Piano, add some electric drums, sing something over top. Suburban kids with Biblical names did a similar track but it was tongue in cheek, brilliant, and much better than this. I don’t mind the sound, it’s just a little annoying. But I am hungry.
13) Union of knives – Law Against My Heart. Quite like this, a slow intro, a little Sigur Ros lite. Nice bit of Tim Hecker style feedback at the end.
14) NIN – Right Where It Belongs. Last track – type of vocals I don’t like. Not looking forward to the rest of the track. (at end) It was ok, nothing too wrong about it, like Grandaddy if they weren’t trying. *handbags* <I’m not surprised, never keen on them>

Well to summarise Disc 1, I’m pleased to say I’ve not heard of the tracks, but pleased in more ways than one. As someone who’s been listening to alternative music for 26 years since the age of 14, I think it speaks volumes I’ve not heard any of these tracks, they’re just not my kinda music.
I’ll listen to it again, as it’ll be rude not to and I’ll now include the track names, I’ll add to anything if I feel different about any of it another time. It’s definitely helped me through the morning. Thanks Santa, and I’m genuinely still looking forward to Disc 2.

Disc 2. I’ve been more into ‘Robots’ this year, more into the drone techno. I’m hoping of some Boards of Canada or summat as they’ve passed me by.

1) Baths – Miasma Sky. Ok, sounds of synth pop. Not that keen on the voice but don’t mind the feel of the track. Yeah, quite like it, think I’d prefer an instrumental version. Will look forward to the 2nd listen. <aha trying to trick me were you>
2) Moderat – Rusty Nails. The open sounds like techo-skat. Sounds like a remix as to me there’s a clash between heart-felt vocals and querky techno. Quite like this though so far, needs a little variation in the track though.
3) Junior Boys – Count Souvenirs. Full-on synth pop. Mmm not keen so far. Like metronomy, but without a tune. *wants to skip* “A dirty shirt, a little turd, stays in the bedroom drawer.” I think he may have meant dirt, but it sounded like turd. Yes I’ve tuned out. Next please!
4) Jo Psycho – 05 Right, tuned back in. A bit of disco funk, sounds like a download as it’s poor quality (naughty). It’s even got the pop pop pooowwwwww electric drums at the intro to the chorus. Proper 70s/80s. Unless its meant to say like that. Why not? It’s made me feel quite happy. It feels like you’ve wondered across hole in the ground and they’re having a party inside with your favourite ale. All is welcome!
5) Depeche Mode – Leave In Silence Sounds like an OMD b-side. Think I’ve heard this one. Yes, a little nostalgia has crept in, gonna get my luminous terry towling socks on. <ouch>
6) Crystal Castles – Vietnam. Synth pop again, this man loves his synth pop and folk! Is OK, can’t say more than that.
7) Vitalic – Trahison. Starts off like Gary Numan playing Steve Harley’s Mr Soft, it might have some balls. Yep, like this. Probably my favourite.
8) Brian Reitzell – On The Subway More slow synth – umm filler? <ah I have the Lost in Translation OST>
9) Raphael Ibanez – Andream. Autechre-esque. Whats not to like?
10) Washed Out – Hold Out. Ooo sounds like the Equaliser theme tune slightly slowed down. Can you tell I’m much liking this one more? Then the vocals kick in, again quite distorted. I’m guessing this aint from a CD.
11) The Strokes – Partners In Crime. OK this is someone famous, it’s either the bloke from the Strokes or someone trying to sound like him. A remix? It’s OK, the verse sounds like an afterthought though. <never heard of it!>
12) John Frusciante – In Your Eyes. Gah, it starts awfully. What’s it trying to be? Nope. <well at least I’m consistent!>
13) Thom Yorke – Hearing Damage Mmmmm Synth basssssss. Like the sound of this. Ah hello Mr Yorke. Off his first album? It’s amazing how many try the Yorke trick with emotion and bleeps but not many can actually pull it off.
14) Squarepusher – Tommib Aww soundscapes, sounds like the BBC Radiophonic Workshop. Nice way to end.
15) Moderat – A New Error But no, it’s not the end! I feel I should know who this is. I might have it. It sounds like an uplifting version of Umberto. Like it.

So Disc 2: I would say a success. A few tracks I’d be happy to listen to again. Thanks Santa!
Can anyone guess who it’s from?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here