Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Could be 6 or 7am to get a result if its close. Going to bed early and getting up early

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I would stay up all night except i have stupidly volunteered myself to do a 60 miles bike ride tomorrow with work (and i don't ride)

The things i do to get out of a days work.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Normally do for General Elections but I don't think this one is going to be quite as interesting. Will probably hit the couch with the intention of staying up but will not resist sleep too much when it inevitably comes calling.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Stay up as long as.. but if it looks one sided either way I will hit the sack.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
My parents are in their 70's, full on OUT, all their friends are outers too hardly, not IN an voters in sight. OK life growing up in the 50's was tougher, I don't deny that

But since the 70's they all have lived through a period of growing prosperity, most have pensions my generation can only dream about, paid off houses that now worth a load and spare cash to travel. Life could be worse...

Just don't get it, they've done well out of Europe. Now suddenly getting out will solve everything that is wrong with the country. I just don't get it, they seems to be living on false nostalgia.

Well in their lifetime they were at war with most of it and they as I are unlikely to see any particular link exclusively to the EU with some of the positive outcomes for them financially since then, I would suspect they have enjoyed the area for holidays etc. and the people they have met, it doesnt follow they then must agree with the ever changing political situation of the region, why would it ?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Whether deluded or not I think the result is 'Remain'. I'll not stay up.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No chance. Off to Edgbaston tomorrow for a mammoth drinking session. Don't need to practice tonight - and staying up for yet more referendum nonsense would require at least a bottle of scotch.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Given that the Exit polls and so on were predicting it pretty close after the last general Election, despite getting it all over the place beforehand, I just wonder whether we might have some decent idea with the 10 o'clock news.

Although it could be "too close to call".

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
As per usual, Newcastle and Sunderland will be racing to declare first at around midnight, must cost their council taxpayers a fortune! The bulk of results will begin to be declared around 4am, by 6am we should have a damn good idea of where it is all going. The last results will come in from deeply rural areas like the Highlands, west Wales and deepest Cornwall, if we are sweating on those then things will be really close.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Given that the Exit polls and so on were predicting it pretty close after the last general Election, despite getting it all over the place beforehand, I just wonder whether we might have some decent idea with the 10 o'clock news.

Although it could be "too close to call".

No exit polls this time, mind.

North East Seagull

Jul 6, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
As per usual, Newcastle and Sunderland will be racing to declare first at around midnight, must cost their council taxpayers a fortune! The bulk of results will begin to be declared around 4am, by 6am we should have a damn good idea of where it is all going. The last results will come in from deeply rural areas like the Highlands, west Wales and deepest Cornwall, if we are sweating on those then things will be really close.

I am a supervisor at the count in Newcastle and i hope you are right, a declaration around midnight would be nice. Apparently turrnout is high up here so may take a little longer

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Well, quite.

So the (current) deal, is that we get a load of cute young Spanish girls to staff the bars and retail outlets of Brighton, paying taxes, and contributing to the local economy, and in return Spain gets a third of a million sickly pensioners to leech off their health system.

Please explain why you think the Spanish are out of order to suggest that this would not be an acceptable state of affairs, after a Leave vote??

Where are these Spanish girls.?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Of course your making it up to fit your immigration agenda and if you care to analyse the actual figures you will see that most immigrants are in low skilled employment.

I will try to simplify it a little:

We do have something like 400 000 in skilled positions from the pre 2004 EU14 countries (older member countries) Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden.

However there are more than double that figure 800 000 from the accession countries known as EU10 Bulgaria, Romania, Czech Republic, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Slovakia, Slovenia three quarters 600 000 in low skilled employment and of which 260 000+ of those are in what is considered the very lowest category of low skilled employment.

So it definitely isn't a Red Herring, its a set of circumstances that require much consideration for any prospective voter, we are not sucking in exclusively skilled immigrant workers in the main we are sucking in primarily from the E10 countries low skilled workers.

That does NOT constitute an answer for any perceived skill shortages because those immigrants are not skilled.

Please don't try to simplify it a little. It's too complex to do that. Just the very fact that our skills shortage is not about low skilled work demonstrates our need to encourage skilled immigrants to work here needs to sit at the heart of the debate. We have a capacity shortage that means there is millions of pounds worth of construction projects running behind schedule all of which suppresses growth.

Furthermore, much of the low skilled work, whilst low skilled is an essential service. Without it, our hospitals would stop functioning tomorrow. That would have a very real impact on services.

I really don't need you or anyone trying to simplify the issue for me. It can't be simplified. That's the point.

Sent from my iPhone in a non-Calde world :-(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here