Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official match thread **** Charlton Athletic FC v Brighton and Hove Albion FC ****

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
That old cliche about anyone can beat anyone, but last season Hull and Cardiff seemed strangely to win a lot more than others, and this season Derby, Leicester, QPR and Burnley seem to be finding winning a lot easier than the Albion. PL awaits those clubs with decent squads and coaching.

Hold on a minute let me just check.............

Albion 2 - Burnley 0
QPR 0 - Albion 0
Albion 3 - Leicester 1

I'll give you the Derby defeat, and I certainly won't argue with you over Cardiff last season, they were head and shoulders clear. I'll even throw in the 'league table doesn't lie' cliché for you too, but I disagree that there's teams that we should or shouldn't be beating. Take every game as it comes, as the cliché goes.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Actually, I'd say it was a popular view. He is one of the players that has been targeted by the supposed "boo-boys". Like with various players over the last few seasons, some people (not saying this necessarily applies to you) have decided he isn't up to it, so never actually pay attention to what he does, or look at what he does with their already decided bias. For example (as I mentioned after we played Barnsley) there were people who, when he put in crosses that were perhaps an inch or two away from being perfect - cross that almost landed on a team mate's head only to be touched away by a defender, an inch or so higher they make it through - he was met with cries of "who was that to?" and "what a waste! Get 'im off!", then Buckley came on and put in an identical cross only for it to be met with "That's what we've been missing! You watching, Lopez?".

Criticising Lopez is not an unpopular view. It is often unfair, though.

You put your points across very well, but having watched him for the last season and half I find him a liability. His crosses are very random, almost landing on a team mates head is like saying he almost got the shot on target. I am afraid we will need to agree to disagree on our Spanish friend. I think a lot of people have been very patient towards him and want him to do well, but surely he needs to be taken out of the team for while. I think nearly every game he comes off around the half way through the second half. All about opinions!

Last edited:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Just coming back from the game. You can throw any stats around you want but the bottom line is like Barnsley the effort was just not there. Charlton were first to everything. It was poor, really poor.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
You put your points across very well, but having watched him for the last season and half I find him a liability. His crosses are very random, almost landing on a team mates head is like saying he almost got the shot on target. I am afraid we will need to agree to disagree on our Spanish friend. I think a lot of people have been very patient towards him and want him to do well, but surely he needs to be taken out of the team for while. I think nearly every game he comes off around the half way through the first half. All about opinions!

Valid points......and i think u mean halfway through the second half

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Radio seemed to think Brez could possibly have saved the second and was out of positio for the free kick. Thoughts?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Shock! What planet do you live on. Such arrogance thinking its a shock result

Charlton hadn't scored for 250 mins and we have a great away record, hardly arrogant not to expect to lose.
It was a shock to me, as much as Albion losing against anyone can be a shock.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I think it's reasonable to expect that any football team should get around fifty percent of their attempts on goal on target. As you say though shit happens!

I'd be interested to know what the average is across all teams, and them how it compares with the tea at the tip of leagues and teams at the bottom. I think you might find that 50%+ is the exception, not the rule for teams at any level.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Shock! What planet do you live on. Such arrogance thinking its a shock result

Hardly arrogance when the side that has conceded fewest in the divsion away from home concedes three against the ream that has scored joint fewest at home. I think most people would have thought two goals would be three points in this of all games.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'd be interested to know what the average is across all teams, and them how it compares with the tea at the tip of leagues and teams at the bottom. I think you might find that 50%+ is the exception, not the rule for teams at any level.

I haven't kept track of this for a couple of seasons (didn't provide any use for the effort it took to maintain), but in 2011/12

shot percent by finish 2011-12.jpg

shot percent by percent 2011-12.jpg

So far this season we're:

Total
Shot: 281
On Target: 78

Per Match
Shot: 12.77
On Target: 3.55

Percentage: 27.80%

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Radio seemed to think Brez could possibly have saved the second and was out of positio for the free kick. Thoughts?

I take full responsibility, I've been to about 10 aways in the last few years - the last was Boxing Day 2 years ago. Last time I saw us win away Southampton away Gus's 1st game in charge :(

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Just coming back from the game. You can throw any stats around you want but the bottom line is like Barnsley the effort was just not there. Charlton were first to everything. It was poor, really poor.

That just patently isn't true. There was plenty of effort but some poor defending and a bit of bad luck meant it didn't happen. If one of the shots goes in rather than hit the post then we probably draw or even win.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
QPR and Leicester will have spent a fortune on the playing budget and are turning a blind eye to FFP , Derby and Burnley won't be that far behind. Burnley have to go for it because it is the final parachute payment for them.

No evidence that Derby are breaking FFP rules. They have been carefully getting straight financially for a number of years, and have attained their lofty league position without going on a spending spree.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
QPR and Leicester will have spent a fortune on the playing budget and are turning a blind eye to FFP , Derby and Burnley won't be that far behind. Burnley have to go for it because it is the final parachute payment for them.

What a load of rubbish.

Leicester have SLASHED their costs dramatically.

Derby probably have one of the smaller budgets in the league.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Hold on a minute let me just check.............

Albion 2 - Burnley 0
QPR 0 - Albion 0
Albion 3 - Leicester 1

I'll give you the Derby defeat, and I certainly won't argue with you over Cardiff last season, they were head and shoulders clear. I'll even throw in the 'league table doesn't lie' cliché for you too, but I disagree that there's teams that we should or shouldn't be beating. Take every game as it comes, as the cliché goes.

But in each division, some teams suffer setbacks far less often, giving glory come May, and not always based on having the greatest budgets.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here