Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

iPhone 6 / iPhone 6 Plus / Apple Watch

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
I think I know why my initial battery usage on the 6 seemed so poor. I think my phone got 'stuck' in some sort of loop on the iCloud restore from my old phone. I'd not noticed until a day or so back when I noticed that it had yet to make a backup of itself - something it should just quietly do every night. I noticed I also often had a spinning wheel in the top status bar. So I cancelled the restore, although I think everything had already restored long ago, and my battery life has since improved a lot.

As I type my phone has been going for over 13 hours, of which it's been used for 4 hours 18 minutes and it's still on 62%.

Now you have had the phone a bit longer Bozza, how has the battery life really been? Also what do you think of its durability? Have you dropped it? Has it dented / scratched / bent easliy?

Looking at getting one myself....

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Now you have had the phone a bit longer Bozza, how has the battery life really been? Also what do you think of its durability? Have you dropped it? Has it dented / scratched / bent easliy?

Looking at getting one myself....

I think it's better than my 5, but it should be. There are still occasions when I think "that's drained quickly" but there are others where I think "that's lasted a long time" but I am a heavy phone user.

When I'm out of the house/office I tend to keep it in a clear silicon case thing that gives it good protection. I've probably dropped it a couple of times and it's fine. No signs of dents, scratches or bend from when it's not in the case, which is most of the time.

I think I got the right one - the 6 Plus would be too big for me.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
I think it's better than my 5, but it should be. There are still occasions when I think "that's drained quickly" but there are others where I think "that's lasted a long time" but I am a heavy phone user.

When I'm out of the house/office I tend to keep it in a clear silicon case thing that gives it good protection. I've probably dropped it a couple of times and it's fine. No signs of dents, scratches or bend from when it's not in the case, which is most of the time.

I think I got the right one - the 6 Plus would be too big for me.

Good review, thanks.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Has anyone tried ios8 on Thier 5S? Is it OK, and problems? I'm still undecided whether to update mine.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
I've got it on my iPhone 5 and it's absolutely fine. Marked improvement in battery life and no issues to speak of.

I've got massive problems with Safari on my 5. Constantly crashing while loading pages, hopefully 8.1 will sort it out, I haven't gotten round to updating yet.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I've got massive problems with Safari on my 5. Constantly crashing while loading pages, hopefully 8.1 will sort it out, I haven't gotten round to updating yet.

8.0.2 fixed that I think.

iOS 8 did improve battery life on my 5 quite a chunk, i've since upgraded to the 6 and the battery life on that spaffs all over the 5.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Panorama tonight could be interesting for you cool hipsters...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04vs348

It's getting messy already after only 5 minutes.

Then again, it seems to presented from one point of view, not that I can see how this is not a reasonably accurate reflection of what goes on.

I wonder if they do a similar program about Samsung/Panasonic/Sony/other Far East electronics manufacturers?

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I'm replacing my iphone 4 which is now 4 years old and starting to freeze and glitch and some apps don't work. So it's time to buy the iphone 6 or 6 plus. I know I want 64gb because with 16gb I fill it quickly with music etc. Also with the new hi res video I'll be taking a lot of videos and pics. But the question is iphone 6 or 6 plus??
I was wondering if anyone that bought the 6plus regretted it because of its size? I am torn because although the 6plus might cause problems with its size, I travel a lot and light, rather than buying a phone and tablet/iPad, I was thinking the 6plus is half way house. I stream a lot of movies and I'd be ok watching on the 6plus but the 6 is just that tiny bit small for netflicks etc. I know some want a larger screen than 5.5 to watch films but when I am in a hotel room with the device close to me, I think it would be ok.
I do take my phone everywhere with me, and don't fancy the 6plus sticking out of my pocket. I spent an hour in the apple store and still can't decide.
Any advice is appreciated. Cheers!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I've got the 6plus, it takes a bit of time getting used to the size but now I don't notice it (I've gone from a Galaxy S4 to the 6plus which isn't as big a jump in screen size as from the iPhone 4). I've never had a problem with it sticking out of my pocket.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I've got the 6plus, it takes a bit of time getting used to the size but now I don't notice it (I've gone from a Galaxy S4 to the 6plus which isn't as big a jump in screen size as from the iPhone 4). I've never had a problem with it sticking out of my pocket.

What type of case or cover do you use. As long as it's thin, I think I could put up with it. I mean having the 6 plus in your jeans front pocket and say, sitting down at the Amex, along with wallet and keys etc is it just that bit big or manageable? It's that I don't really want everyone knowing I've got a 6 plus on me.

scooter1

How soon is now?
I have a 6. The plus seemed a bit too big, but the 6 is fine. I have it in a thin clear case with a screen guard and that works for me. The first case I got for it was too deep and made the whole thing quite cumbersome, but a thinner case has sorted that out. Great phone, iOS 8 works well, but I'm a bit miffed that 8.2 has automatically installed an I watch app that I can't remove

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've got a spigen tough armour case, it's a little bit chunky but my young kids use my phone sometimes for games so I wanted something a little stronger, I've also got a tempered glass screen protector which is brilliant and a lot easier to apply than a normal film protector.

http://www.spigen.co.uk/cell-phone/...hone-6-case-tough-armor-5-5.html#.VQ06xIrfWJI

I dropped my iPhone 6 in a bar in New York last week. It was in a case but landed perfectly flat and face-down. I thought it had survived until I got outside and then saw it was cracked all the way down.

Using the Apple Store app on my phone I made an appointment at the Apple Store at Grand Central Station for 7:20am the next morning and well before 9am I had the phone back as good as new, with a whole new display unit on it.

I know I trumpet Apple goods and, particularly, the service but if that had been a Samsung Galaxy S8 Superfly (or whatever they are up to now) how would this have worked out for me? Would I have had to wait until I came home and then taken it to Carphone Warehouse or similar who would then send it away for a week or two?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I dropped my iPhone 6 in a bar in New York last week. It was in a case but landed perfectly flat and face-down. I thought it had survived until I got outside and then saw it was cracked all the way down.

Using the Apple Store app on my phone I made an appointment at the Apple Store at Grand Central Station for 7:20am the next morning and well before 9am I had the phone back as good as new, with a whole new display unit on it.

I know I trumpet Apple goods and, particularly, the service but if that had been a Samsung Galaxy S8 Superfly (or whatever they are up to now) how would this have worked out for me? Would I have had to wait until I came home and then taken it to Carphone Warehouse or similar who would then send it away for a week or two?

Glad you got that sorted, but i'm puzzled did you pay? Only when something similar happened to my mini iPad they quoted over £200

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Glad you got that sorted, but i'm puzzled did you pay? Only when something similar happened to my mini iPad they quoted over £200

Yes. I think it worked out at about £60-£70 which I have no issue with at all.

I had the same with an iPad Mini, here in the UK, and the cost was similar to that although, essentially, they just gave me a new iPad. Even that I have no issue with - I'd broken the screen on a c£500 device through carelessness and they let me swap it for a new one for £200 or so. Seems fair enough to me.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

I'm not one for lavishing unnecessary praise on Apple, but that is very very good.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Yes. I think it worked out at about £60-£70 which I have no issue with at all.

I had the same with an iPad Mini, here in the UK, and the cost was similar to that although, essentially, they just gave me a new iPad. Even that I have no issue with - I'd broken the screen on a c£500 device through carelessness and they let me swap it for a new one for £200 or so. Seems fair enough to me.

k...obviously a mini (16gb wifi only) in price is a lot closer to the £200 ...in this case i did end up going to a third party and it was sorted for £70 ..i think if mine had cost £500 originally i would have considered the apple swap

Last edited:

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I have a 6+ and love it. Big enough for watching films on the train or in bed but easier to cart around than my iPad. I have a iPhone 5 for work and the screen looks so small when I use it now!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here