Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus gets the boot

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Well if he did, it's almost a bigger disgrace that he had his mind on moving when we were in a reasonable position to get promotion. What sort of example does that set to the squad ?
His sacking was no more than he deserved. He's not a good manager just because he can get some decent players to pass the ball in Div 1. Glad he's gone, would like to feel sorry for his disciples but serves them right too.
I feel Hughton has ten fold more loyalty in his genes than Poyet.

Apparently he had permission, so thats alright then.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I feel Hughton has ten fold more loyalty in his genes than Poyet.

Absolutely this. Everything about Hughton screams, albeit in a calm professional way, that he's happy to be in the job he's in, and is totally focussed on that job until he next gets shafted by a chairman. He gives off that vibe, both now and in his previous managerial positions. Whereas everything about Poyet always screams non-commitment, that he's always got one eye on the next rung up the job ladder, and always looking after number one. Which is why I expect CH to be here for many years, and expect GP to sink without trace through progressively more and more obscure leagues in more and more faraway countries. The bloke is damaged goods and does himself no favours. Flakey as f*ck.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Sadly he won't make a top manager until he realises some of his own shortcomings, i.e. the famous 'No plan B' and refusal to alter his formation/player selection to counter the opposition. Undoubtedly has some good managerial qualities and Sunderland hardly have a squad worthy of Premier League status. Buckley & Bridcutt were also huge gambles on his part. Wouldn't surprise me to see him with a Championship London based club next year or maybe even a 'lesser' La Liga side?

Yes Charlie could get him some contacts at Loftus Road no doubt. Ironic that the two opposing managers of THOSE play-off games in May 2013 have both been given the push within a week of each other from their next clubs.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Absolutely this. Everything about Hughton screams, albeit in a calm professional way, that he's happy to be in the job he's in, and is totally focussed on that job until he next gets shafted by a chairman. He gives off that vibe, both now and in his previous managerial positions. Whereas everything about Poyet always screams non-commitment, that he's always got one eye on the next rung up the job ladder, and always looking after number one. Which is why I expect CH to be here for many years, and expect GP to sink without trace through progressively more and more obscure leagues in more and more faraway countries. The bloke is damaged goods and does himself no favours. Flakey as f*ck.

Come off it THPP. You didn't like him right from the start. 'He will be sacked by Boxing Day', you said in November 2009.
I give you your due, you didn't say which Boxing Day, :wink:

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
ROSM;6854023 I am.finding it hard to revel.in the sacking of a man who developed a style of play and a number of performances that have been the best I have witnessed in 40 years of supporting the club.[/QUOTE said:
Well, you are of course entitled to your opinion, I respect that. I have watched albion for over six decades (military service exempt) and have seen a great deal more exciting footy than GP served up.

Barcelona' previous manager Pep Guardiola says: "I loathe all that passing for the sake of it, all that tiki-taka. It's so much rubbish and has no purpose. You have to pass the ball with a clear intention, with the aim of making it into the opposition's goal. It's not about passing for the sake of it" ...... That's from a proper manager!
Yes we were successful in being promoted from DIv 1. But for Chrissake, should a club like ours be in the lower divisions? He'd have been even more successful if we'd been in the Ryman League. Any number of managers would have got a club like BHA promoted with the backing of TB.
Bottom line for me is Loyalty, I hold it more important even than honesty. He is devoid of it, now we hear he has been touting himself around whilst at Sunderland. I wouldn't forgive my wife, if she been at it with the milkman, I'd even change my dairy :)

As for your original post and PBs involvement in Gus's I'd prefer to hear that from an official source. I guess one day the truth will out.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I disagree that Managers are not loyal - The only sure thing about being a football manager is that eventually you will be sacked. Alex ferguson and Arsene Wenger to date being the only exceptions to that rule.

My post here is not to defend Poyet as i think his demeanor is arrogant at the very least.

Many managers would be loyal to their clubs if given the chance. It is the Chairmen and board of a club that are not so loyal but they expect the loyalty from the fans. The Press don't help. They tout rumours about someone who will be sacke if they dont win the next match then slate the club for unfairly sacking them.

We live in an upside down world

True. Can't help that the "Argus" is a daily and puts the spotlight on Albion's goings-on every edition. I guess that Gus would have been p.o'd with having to deal with their reporters looking for copy 6/7.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Superb post. Particularly the bit in bold. It is BAFFLING the attitudes of so many to one of our best ever managers.

It isn't baffling, it's probably down to the fact that he: a) isn't half as good as he (and a few on here) think he is, and b) showed no respect to TB and this football club towards the end of his time here. He gave us some enjoyable moments, he gave us some absolute dire moments too. If he was one of our best ever managers, with the new stadium momentum and budget that he had over 2 seasons, we'd be in the Premier League now instead of Crystal Palace.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Reading approached and under the agreement, Gus was able to speak to them but chose to stay

I think you will find that Gus agreed to join Reading and asked them for a short period of time to 'sleep on it ', just to be sure it was the right move for him. Reading said they would draw up the paperwork and await his return.( They anticipated that it would be the following day ) Reading were convinced it was a done deal and went so far as to inform staff and players.
Gus returned to Brighton and tried to used the Reading offer to re-negotiate with TB. Reading found out what was going on and pulled out of the deal.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The more I read about Gus's antics on the Sunderland board and in the press the more I think his only option is to go abroad.

The job I think he really wants that is / was vaguely attainable is the West Ham job. I think he'll bide his time to see what happens to Allardyce, then throw his hat into the ring. However, that is one hell of a car crash waiting to happen. He needs to go to Spain, take a team like Levante / Granada / Zaragoza back up from the Second Division to La Liga, then see where his stock is.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Reading approached and under the agreement, Gus was able to speak to them but chose to stay

I think you will find that Gus agreed to join Reading and asked them for a short period of time to 'sleep on it ', just to be sure it was the right move for him. Reading said they would draw up the paperwork and await his return.( They anticipated that it would be the following day ) Reading were convinced it was a done deal and went so far as to inform staff and players.
Gus returned to Brighton and tried to used the Reading offer to re-negotiate with TB. Reading found out what was going on and pulled out of the deal.

You seem quite confident on the finer detail and it sounds plausible. I guess when Gus told TB he wanted to leave, TB would have put him to the test at the first opportunity. He failed just by talking to Reading, but to use it to e-negotiate with TB would have sealed his end of season fate.

Bloody daft time of the season to threaten to leave, especially after getting hold of Ulloa for him, so he wasn't exactly being as deprived of funds as he made out.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Basically, everything that happened with Gus at the Albion has happened with Gus at Sunderland. The checklist is ticked in every case:

1. Massive ego.
2. Falling out with club management.
3. Tons of draws.
4. Not many goals.
5. Absolutely no kids brought through.
6. Touting himself for other jobs whilst manager.
7. It's always everyone else's fault.
8. Engineers a position to get sacked.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Basically, everything that happened with Gus at the Albion has happened with Gus at Sunderland. The checklist is ticked in every case:

1. Massive ego.
3. Tons of draws.
4. Not many goals.

Is this Groundhog Day?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

1. Massive ego.
3. Tons of draws.
4. Not many goals.

This is absolutely true.

However, what is also true is that under Gus he said he'd improve our position every season and he did. He said he'd work to establish one way of playing and he did. He got us in to The Championship at the right time and took the feelgood factor of silverware in to the Amex. He attracted Bridge, Vicente, Orlandi, Ulloa and Spanish Dave. EVERY one of my favourite games in the first 100 at the Amex were under Gus.

He was a brilliant Brighton manager. To say otherwise is revisionist shit. He is also a flawed man with an ego the size of Montevideo who is always going to crash and burn when the going gets tough for him. It IS all about Poyet but I will always admire the man for what he (initially) did for us.

Also agree that Spanish second division is where he should head. Charlie should love it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here