Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Marines V Paras (British)

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Back in the 80's the unwritten rule in Aldershot was The Football ground going away from the Town was civvy Pubs.The Town all bar one Pub called The George was Para Pubs.All the food outlets were in Town so kicking out time was fun and the Para's didn't always have it their own way.

As my previous post I can confirm this my mate was an officer in The Logistics Corps and we often went out in Aldershot.
I cannot remenber the name of the pub so it was probably The George because it was the only one we went in.
It was full of young army boys getting off with older women until my mate pointed out that those older women were the wives of the older soldiers who were away on duty.
Aldershot was a very strange night out.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
As my previous post I can confirm this my mate was an officer in The Logistics Corps and we often went out in Aldershot.
I cannot remenber the name of the pub so it was probably The George because it was the only one we went in.
It was full of young army boys getting off with older women until my mate pointed out that those older women were the wives of the older soldiers who were away on duty.
Aldershot was a very strange night out.
Aldershot is still a strange Night out.

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
I've not worked directly with the Paras but have worked with RM officers and ratings; my experiences mirror that of an earlier poster who said they were honest and respectful. I would add that their officers show a high level of intelligence as well.

Doesn't answer the original question though!

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
To give it another perspective from the outside looking in as it were I have sort of mixed with both.
A very good friend was in the army based in Aldershot we sometimes went out on the town but there certain pubs you just did not go in because they were para pubs. They ruled the place and everybody seemed totally scared to go anywhere near them my mate said they were all lunatics.

Down here in Plymouth we have 3 & 42 Commando Royal Marines. They have there pubs one being The Three Crowns on the Barbican. Its a good night out in there at the weekend with a disco and stuff.
A few years ago my same mate as above was visiting me we went to the crowns and The Marines were just back from Iraq and it was also freshers night from the Uni.
Although most of them were smashed they were polite and still totally professional. Their commanding officer made a speech it bought a tear to your eye. Some of them were huge 7 foot tall with a barrel for a chest.
Plymouth is immensely proud of the Marines and they respect Plymouth.
A friend is a police officer and she said they rarely get trouble from the marines and any trouble is mopped up by the MP.
The Americans are told not to go anywhere near the British Marines or Paras as they will beat you at everything.
Not because of Plymouth but for me the Marines are the more professional outfit.

I went to uni in Plymouth, (and worked in the Crowns for a bit!!), and can totally back you up on this. Most trouble started in Plymouth is by gobby no mark matelots, either straight out of HMS Raleigh, and don't know any better, or fresh off the boats and haven't had a proper drink up for a while. The bootnecks only tend to get involved if one of their own gets set upon - I don't think I can remember a single time when a marine threw the first punch.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Next week, channel 5, programme following the training of Royal Marines. I have seen a few programmes like this before but the clip looked very good.
I love programmes like this and may answer the question raised in this thread.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Next week, channel 5, programme following the training of Royal Marines. I have seen a few programmes like this before but the clip looked very good.
I love programmes like this and may answer the question raised in this thread.

:thumbsup: i'll check it out

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Why thank you, but credit goes out to [MENTION=29098]Sussaxon[/MENTION] for the artwork he has just sent me.

Fair play to him,and nice...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here