Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chinese side 'make £127m Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang bid'

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I just can't see how this works out well for them in any way.

Our model 'works' because the viewers are there across the Far East to justify humongous overseas tv rights deal but the thing with a Chinese Super League is no one outside China will want to watch it let alone pay through the nose for the privilege.

You don't know how it's going to pan out though, it's still early days for Chinese football. Aubemeyang is a pretty big name to go there what if he's followed by the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar etc. People will want to pay to watch a league with those sort of players in it.

But it could be like US football in the 70s where loads of players near the end of the careers earned one big pay cheque before retiring in an attempt to kick-start a league. Actually, come to think of it, it's pretty much like US football now

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You don't know how it's going to pan out though, it's still early days for Chinese football. Aubemeyang is a pretty big name to go there what if he's followed by the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar etc. People will want to pay to watch a league with those sort of players in it.

But it could be like US football in the 70s where loads of players near the end of the careers earned one big pay cheque before retiring in an attempt to kick-start a league. Actually, come to think of it, it's pretty much like US football now

US football now is all about bringing through their own players and recruiting from markets that are often an afterthought in Europe - for example, Atlanta United have just signed a 23 year old Paraguayan left back for $8m.

Equally, US football is in far better health than it was in the 70s - they own/control their own stadia that are now appropriately sized and modern, and won't overspend to the extent they once did. Even with the prudence on show for the first ten years of MLS, they still relied on a dwindling number of billionaires to bank roll that league. It's arguable whether they are making money even now (well, certainly if you listen to the owners anyway).

I'm predicting that the Chinese Super League is going to fail unless they have enough owners to bankroll the operation for at least a decade, because it is unsustainable without significant improvement to Chinese players.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

Our model 'works' because the viewers are there across the Far East to justify humongous overseas tv rights deal but the thing with a Chinese Super League is no one outside China will want to watch it let alone pay through the nose for the privilege.

Overseas markets are helpful to the PL but the majority of the money is still Sky and BT Vision on domestic rights.

There's a lot to be said for the viability of a decent Chinese Product given that outside of lunchtime kick-offs, the games are on at stupid times over there, there's little regional competition to a decent league in Asia, they have an increasingly prosperous population and individuals so rich that if it all goes tits up, it won't really matter.

It's definitely interesting.

Last edited:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
US football now is all about bringing through their own players and recruiting from markets that are often an afterthought in Europe - for example, Atlanta United have just signed a 23 year old Paraguayan left back for $8m.

Equally, US football is in far better health than it was in the 70s - they own/control their own stadia that are now appropriately sized and modern, and won't overspend to the extent they once did. Even with the prudence on show for the first ten years of MLS, they still relied on a dwindling number of billionaires to bank roll that league. It's arguable whether they are making money even now (well, certainly if you listen to the owners anyway).

I'm predicting that the Chinese Super League is going to fail unless they have enough owners to bankroll the operation for at least a decade, because it is unsustainable without significant improvement to Chinese players.

Also, consider the competition in the American sport market. I can't see the Chinese domestic market being anything like as tough.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Aubemeyang is not someone near the end of his career.

I guess a lot of people feel that football has gone crazy. Ronaldo was reportedlyoffered £85 million a year in wages but turned it down...

I think PL will survive , people across the world (other than the US) associated football with bigname clubs like MU, Liverpool and Arsenal and then relate these to the Real, Barca, Juve , Bayern Munich etc .

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
It has nothing to do with their ability on the pitch.

True. But there is no example of a sustained, successful league with such a weak national team. Feels like the US in the 70s.
Good luck to them.
I wonder how long it'll be before talk of a serious World club competition starts up?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Isn't the 1,382,323,332 Chinese population (nearly twice that of Europe) a fair size market?

Can't be long before all the remaining top two tier clubs catch up and boast their token Far Eastern player signed for no other reason than the target TV audience and the shirt sales.

Last edited:

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
If you build it, they will come.

They're not building anything though, structually. How many players will each club need to buy for an excessive fee on excessive wages before it will spark interest? Let's be honest the players themselves have already neglected the means to give a shit by going there in the first place so how can they expect spectators to.

They just don't have the domestic playerbase for a competitive league structure so nobody will be interested other than those very strange, clingy fans of one particular player. They need 50 years or more to get up to speed and there's no guarantee they will. Like the US (though MLS at least sparks some interest) their population is staggering yet they provide no entertainment outside of their own realm because their domestic game is absolute shit.

South America as a whole has some decently competitive leagues, players from there choose Europe because it is more competitive and because there's more money in it. To choose China is in my opinion to forfeit any meaning to your career which is why it can't be translated to a real job. Either a) You are coming to the end of your career and want one last payday (acceptable) b) You don't consider yourself good enough, or are not competitive enough to want to test yourself amongst the elite (less acceptable but ok) or c) your one and only drive in life is money, despite already being minted.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
They're not building anything though, structually. How many players will each club need to buy for an excessive fee on excessive wages before it will spark interest? Let's be honest the players themselves have already neglected the means to give a shit by going there in the first place so how can they expect spectators to.

They just don't have the domestic playerbase for a competitive league structure so nobody will be interested other than those very strange, clingy fans of one particular player. They need 50 years or more to get up to speed.

South America as a whole has some decently competitive leagues, players from there choose Europe because it is more competitive and because there's more money in it. To choose China is in my opinion to forfeit any meaning to your career which is why it can't be translated to a real job. Either a) You are coming to the end of your career and want one last payday (acceptable) b) You don't consider yourself good enough, or are not competitive enough to want to test yourself amongst the elite (less acceptable but ok) or c) your one and only drive in life is money, despite already being minted.

Agree with all this.

Can't understand why Oscar went. He really must not give a shit about anything other than money.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Isn't the 1,382,323,332 Chinese population (nearly twice that of Europe) a fair size market?
But with a national average income of 4k-5k.... and the vast majority of those 1.3 billion people without access to subscription tv or football stadia, I am not sure it's the goldmine they think it appears to be on paper.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Aubemeyang is not someone near the end of his career.

... nor is Oscar.

These sort of signings are an indication of a change in approach but the owners are going to need very deep pockets to keep buying those sort of players. But I wouldn't rule it out entirely

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
What I think will be interesting is in a season or two get bored if they think they will be able to break these massive contracts and move back to Europe.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Can't wait for the cries of outrage about this from people that were perfectly happy all the time it was the Premier League overpaying foreign mercenaries.

You either think football jumped the shark long ago or you're still on board. I can't really see how the emergence of the Chinese Super League as a financial superpower is a massive surprise. I'm firmly in the 'football is ridiculous' camp but am also pretty interested in how this plays out.

Me too.......The problem the Chinese have is that they can buy the top players but they don't have clubs who are household names around the world yet and they don't have a TV company who can Market their clubs yet. If they can get that right in the next 10 years then we will be the ones lagging behind.

That might not be a bad thing because young home grown players might get more opportunities in the leagues here.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

As [MENTION=16192]Diego Napier[/MENTION] points out, suspect they're banking on their domestic market which, after all, does constitute about a fifth of the world's population, and is modernising at the fastest rate ever witnessed in human history.
On a slightly different point, this really does look like the confirmation of something that's been predicted for decades: the bursting of the football bubble. It's an 'asset' that's been pumped full of noxious gas for decades, and seems like its' finally working itself up for a massive bursting.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Wonder what Dunk is worth in Renminbi now?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
But with a national average income of 4k-5k.... and the vast majority of those 1.3 billion people without access to subscription tv or football stadia, I am not sure it's the goldmine they think it appears to be on paper.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Mighty oaks from little acorns do grow.

Nothing stays the same; the growth of interest in China and America and the wealth available will likely eclipse the Premier League within a decade.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here