Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New deals for Calderon and Casper; CMS + others released

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm looking forward to reading the mumbo-jumbo new-age nonsense regarding his release on Twitter.
I'm looking forward to reading the 'why didn't he do that here' threads, from August onwards. :dunce:

Who's going to drive CMS here.

I can't, I'm welling up already.

rescue-hp-link.jpg

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You'd have to expect Colunga and O'Grady to go, and there would also be question marks of various sizes over Holla, Crofts and LuaLua. I'd even suggest that both Bruno and Greer are not certain to be retained, given they were not Hughton decisions to give them new deals.

Finally, there's the risk of losing any of Dunk, Ince, March and JFC to more attractive suitors.[/QUOTE

I thought the club exercised the right to the year extension to LuaLua's contract earlier this year?

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Not at all. It stops the "is this the last time we see him?" stuff with Calde tomorrow, and allows people to say "goodbye" properly to CMS as well.

Eminently sensible from the club.

This ...and with so many fans being vocal about not wanting the team doing a lap of honour ,maybe they now will not be so vocal and remain behind.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Good news that we have announced this early. Hopefully means we have started looking at targets already.

I shall stay behind for a lap of honor to clap CMS, nice chap and always put in 100% just didnt work out for him with us.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I think it's a very good choice to keep and release those - Calde is a legend and the club know how much love there is for him, and the work he does for the club and AITC is immense. Casper is a decent enough #3 and I can see him being a good mentor to the younger players.

It's a shame to see CMS go, as he always put in a good shift but it just didn't work out as well as we all hoped it would for him - I've rarely wanted a player to achieve more than him but c'est la vie.

Lets just hope that he gets some time and gets a rousing reception for his time here. He won't go down in folklore as a great striker for us, but his commitment can never be doubted.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
All the players I listed are under contract. That doesn't mean that Hughton will want to keep them all.
But it does mean they don't have to go.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
From the official site: "Craig Mackail-Smith, Aaron Hughes, Paddy McCourt, Vitalijs Maksimenko and Kemy Agustien will not have their contracts extended - and Hughton has thanked the quartet for their service to the club."

If that's a sly numerical dig at the Aggy for the thousands he's leeched from the club, I love it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
But it does mean they don't have to go.

I'm not suggesting they do.

But if Hughton believes the squad needs major surgery, and he surely does, then you would expect him to be prepared to be pretty ruthless if he can move a player out in order to bring in someone more to his liking.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Next season starts from tomorrow....

Therefore CMS should not be in the squad and if you want to say goodbye to him wait until the players do their lap of failure.
Walton should also be given a game as a warning to Stockdale.
Bring JFC back in to play behind the main striker.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Next season starts from tomorrow....

Therefore CMS should not be in the squad and if you want to say goodbye to him wait until the players do their lap of failure.
Walton should also be given a game as a warning to Stockdale.
Bring JFC back in to play behind the main striker.
Who are you going to play instead, Best?
Or perhaps second string O'Grady.

The signing of Casper clearly indicates Walton is the #2 and will be played accordingly next season, starting in the League Cup.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
I know it's the best decision for all parties involved but I do feel sad for CMS as he's always worked so hard to do well here and he seems like one of footballs good guys. Hopefully he'll get a new deal lined up back at Peterborough and do well there.

I dont feel sorry for him at all.... he's been paid somewhere between £10K and £20K a week for 3 years doing something he clearly loves - the only problem is he is shit at it.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Is this the earliest we've ever announced this? We usually wait ridiculously late

So glad that agustein is going, and with cms gone we should have a decent amount of wages freed up

Calderon I'm delighted by as I love him and want him at the club forever regardless of whether he actually plays. Casper makes sense ad well I guess- as a third choice he's fine. Doubt he's on huge wages- I wonder if he's doing his coaching badges?

Wouldn't be at all surprised if Anti Niemi moves on in the summer and Caspar slots in to replace him.

Equally unsurprising if Calde were to start taking on a training role. Ideally qualified to move into a sports psychology role as his playing time diminishes.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Good decisions all round. Hope the contracts offered to Calde and Casper are good enough for them to want to sign - wouldn't want to lose them by trying to do things on the cheap.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
So the cull has started, tend to agree with a few others that more interest will be in the contracted players who are sold.

COG to Sheffield United is much discussed, Ince to a Premier Club has been mentioned, Dunk to a Premier Club has been mentioned, Lua Lua is having less of an impact on games and I could see him going and JFC to further his career might need to move on as I'm not too sure how highly he is rated by the manager an England Under 21 warming the bench in a Championship isn't progressing his talent.

I can see many more outs before we see any ins, I just hope everything is sorted early doors as pre-season this year was a complete joke.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
He'll be off but Albion will want to claw back some of the £ 500,000 fee it paid Barnsley.

You maybe right, but I think he offers a decent alternative option from the Bench. The real issue is who do we get to replace CMS? We need two strikers IMO so will be interesting to see who we try to get. Meltdown if its Best!

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
I noticed that as well, but further down it says something about Chris Hughton "thanking all 5 players."

it also says that Calde is an important part of the Dressing Room. Which part? My guess is he doubles as a treatment table, where his luxuriant hair can be used with massage to ease the sore parts of a footballer's battered body back in to shape.

I was going to say "gently caress" there, but thought it might get some people a little too excited..

I think you are the only one getting excited about this... have you tried brightons male sauna?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here