Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sam baldock - Merged

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
No but we gotta show alittle more ambition IMO.

Leicester's main scorers last season were a classic Championship journeyman- Nugent- and a bloke signed for a large fee from a (then) non-league club, Vardy.

Burnley's striking pair were Sam Vokes (signed from Wolves on a free) and Danny Ings (signed from then-League-One Bournemouth), later backed up by Ashley Barnes, latterly of Plymouth Argyle and Brighton & Hove Albion.

Derby got to the play off final off the back of outstanding seasons from several players who'd previously been pretty ordinary at either Derby or other clubs (Craig Bryson, Jamie Ward, Chris Martin etc).

QPR are the only promoted side to have splashed the cash, predictably, and they scraped one of the luckiest play off wins ever.

Nottingham Forest showed plenty of "ambition" in signing every striker they could get their hands on and failed embarrassingly. Reading had expensive frontmen like Le Fondre, Pogrebnyak and Billy Sharp: failed to make the play offs.

Perhaps "ambition" (I imagine that what you actually meant is "splashing the cash") isn't the be all and end all.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
To put atleast a half decent bid in for a half decent player. As we know doing it this way Is a gamble. Sure I can understand that some players up fine while stepping up but at least 6/10 it don't work out. No before you ask. I don't have stats.

Define a half decent player.

Top scorer in L1 last year suggests that he is pretty good to me. Or would you rather we spent twice the money on a ex PL has-been or never-was on huge wages as that shows more ambition?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

I would not believe a word you read from the Bristol Post. They really don't research their stories at all:

'Certainly, Brighton are an attractive proposition, having reached the Championship play-offs at the end of last season. The ambitious south coast club boast a new stadium, are well supported and are prepared to spend big in their quest for Premier League football.'

Dec 31, 2012
In the Gym
Define a half decent player.

Top scorer in L1 last year suggests that he is pretty good to me. Or would you rather we spent twice the money on a ex PL has-been or never-was on huge wages as that shows more ambition?

To be honest my opinion don't matter at the end of the day. The club (Burke and Barber) know who they want. I'm just a CUSTOMER.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
To be honest my opinion don't matter at the end of the day. The club (Burke and Barber) know who they want. I'm just a CUSTOMER.

Sorry but this is just a cop out. I don't like being called a customer either but to use it in this case is ridiculous. Clubs don't ask fans their opinion on signings whether they are called fans, supporters, customers or whatever.

You also don't seem to have an opinion, just want to moan about our targets. Who would you like? It's a fair enough question if the top scorer from League 1 last season isn't good enough. Or do you want us to throw away £10 million on McCormack and bankrupt ourselves?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Bloody knew we'd be going through L1/L2 for players yet others didn't believe me.

A fee players that have been League 1 within the past 3-4 seasons:

Elliot Bennett
Glen Murray
Ricky Lambert
Adam Lallana
Danny Ings

Would you have complained about buying (or keeping hold of) any of that lot?

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
Son said that he had been told that Murray is going to Millwall for a season loan, will be disappointed if true and we are not in with a shout for him

If that's true we should really be trying to get in on that.
Surely Murray would prefer to come to us if Palace were willing to deal with us?

We loaned them Dobbie so not completely unlikely???

Last edited:

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
If that's true we should really be trying to get in on that.
Surely Murray would prefer to come to us if Palace were willing to deal with us?

We loaned them Dobbie so not completely unlikely???

I'm only guessing that first team football under holloway is a more attractive proposition to Murray than coming here as backup?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Very good post by Edna demonstrates you don't need to spend stupid money for promotion. As Palace and Burnley have shown you just need a committed team playing in a style that plays to their strengths.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
At the moment we have 2 Ulloa and CMS but if one should be sold the situation will change.

plus we only have 2 keepers, if we sign one more we'll have 3, but if we sold 2 we'd have none......just in case anyone needed me to state the bleeding obvious.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
A fee players that have been League 1 within the past 3-4 seasons:

Elliot Bennett
Glen Murray
Ricky Lambert
Adam Lallana
Danny Ings

Would you have complained about buying (or keeping hold of) any of that lot?

Anthony Pilkington
Yannick Bolasie
John Stones

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here