Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are there some cracks beginning to show?

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Playing devil's advocate for a moment: Sarah Payne and her brothers were outside and well out of sight of their parents when she was abducted, but I'm not seeing the same degree of vitriol directed towards her parents...I've no idea what's gone on with Madeleine McCann, but to suggest that her parents have been more favourably treated because they're middle class seems slightly inaccurate. I only ever see the McCanns getting abuse from people- there are entire websites dedicated to the various conspiracy theories.

Agree, but the way they have used the press hasn't helped their cause at all in my view.

There has to be a degree of negligence on their part and they never fail to portray themselves as victims. This does not sit well with the British public who see tragedies every day and struggle with the continued return to this case as the McCanns continue to maintain a public profile.

Ben Needham and Sara Payne are interesting comparisons. But the parents in both cases were much lower profile and this helped them - particularly as they were seen as helping others as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Interesting.

It is, but I don't buy it at all. If you selectively extract segments of footage, you could support any theory at all. For example, you could propose a theory that if someone touches their nose twice and then their ear, they are lying. You then just trawl the hours of footage until you find examples to support it, and put it together in a handy little montage.

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
That video above had a touch of irony. Referring to Sigmund Freud's work, given what has recently been revealed about his Grandson Clement.

(fast forward to 4 minute mark)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Agree, but the way they have used the press hasn't helped their cause at all in my view.

There has to be a degree of negligence on their part and they never fail to portray themselves as victims. This does not sit well with the British public who see tragedies every day and struggle with the continued return to this case as the McCanns continue to maintain a public profile.

Ben Needham and Sara Payne are interesting comparisons. But the parents in both cases were much lower profile and this helped them - particularly as they were seen as helping others as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think anyone would disagree that there was negligence on their part but, playing devil's advocate and assuming they didn't kill their daughter, what are they other than victims? As for Sarah Payne, that is different in that her parents know for sure that she is dead as her body was found. I'm not quite sure what you mean by lower profile. Prior to the respective incidents, neither family had any profile in the public eye. Subsequent to the abductions, what else would you as a parent do to try and find you child.

Finally, you make reference to the Needhams and the Paynes helping others. What are you views then on Kate McCann helping to promote a choir highlighting missing people (not just their daughter).

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Interesting.

My understanding is that presentation did not include references to the McCanns. Those clips were inserted at a later date, presumably by one of the conspiracy theorists. As Arthritic Toe points out, it's easy to take selective clips to support your argument.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here