Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cardiff City vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
We were poor all over the pitch. Kayal was a massive loss, no drive in midfield, sideways and backwards far to often, esp Crofts who could have taken it on several times but did nothing except pass back to centre back. We looked a lot better when Hemed came on. Nice to see Rosenior and Baldock back.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Worst thing about this is how poor Cardiff were, with injuries and reshuffles. Yet we lose 4-1 to them, shows how drastically our performance dropped, particularly first half.

2 games without Kayal playing 60+ mins this season? 0-3 and 1-4

Thats the real disappointment today for me. Cardiff didn't bust a gut o have to turn it on, we were quite simply fast a sleep for the 30 minutes in the first half.

That was down to collectively being poor, not much the manage can do about that. Players need to have a look at themselves today, turning up at Hull and not Cardiff is just not acceptable.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Just leaving the ground, shambles

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
They were there for the taking today, we were comfortable for the first 10 minutes so eased off thinking we would have it our own way. Bad first goal defensively and all downhill from there.

I thought the formation wasn't right today, especially without Kayal's pace supporting Zamora, and it showed. I just hope Hughton is brave and goes back to 442 from here.

biddles911

May 12, 2014
Agree.

We were shocking today. Mainly in the first half, but even in the second half we showed that our inability to create chances in numbers has cost us.

Ah well, onwards and let's hope upwards.

Bit harsh, I think.

Horrible conditions, which made defending difficult, probably contributed to a couple of their goals but good possession in first half translated into virtually no efforts on goal, which reflected no Kayal and an off-form Knockaert?

Think the formation was wrong and taking out so many in-form players was a mistake by CH too, I think.

At least we're getting our injured players back so we should have more fresh legs for the run in.....!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Just warming up at the Welsh Institute of Sport. I'm not sure how it looked from the TV, but the weather conditions made that game a bit of a lottery. Cardiff put away their chances, we didn't. Shit happens and we move on.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
I think in hindsight CH will realise he messed up here. They are a low-scoring side with no recognised striker, surely we should have been looking to put them on the back foot. Playing 3 central midfielders when they are all pretty similar really didn't work today. there was not a natural sitter, so the defense got exposed, and yet none with a real attacking mindset either so BZ was left isolated. If he really feels we need to play 3 in CM, at least play one with some attacking instinct, Kayal, Murphy, maybe even Skalak there. Same old weaknesses, before they scored, we had 2 corners, and 2 other crosses, none of them came close to giving Cardiff any cause for concern. Sidwell then at fault for the 1st. 2nd maybe Stockdale could have done better, and they were fortunate with the run of the ball for the 3rd, but we invited them on to us by being too pedestrian. Got back into the game, and had 2 good chances, Hemed guilty, could have really got us back in the game. Then a soft penalty wraps it up, although we were lucky to not concede one earlier so on balance, no complaints. I hope CH has learnt plenty from this. Need to see a reaction by everyone against Bristol City. Murphy and Kayal back, and Rosenior at LB for me. Start Hemed, and Wilson if fit, if not Baldock, or maybe Skalak up top. Greer back as well if fit, Dunk and Goldsen didn't cover themselves in glory today, albeit in difficult conditions.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I think we need to give some credit at least to Cardiff for taking their chances really well.

I'm prepared to write this game off as only our second really bad performance of the season (Rotherham away being the other).

The biggest disappointment for me today was not starting 4-4-2 and the performance of Sidwell. I thought Sidwell was the perfect to answer to allow us to rest Kayal when needed, but he was really poor today.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Curse of Sky strikes again

Absolutely.

Because Sky changed the kick off time we had to change our normal routine.

So, rather than go home and listen on player, we went to a restaurant in Marsascala to watch it on sky.

Bad idea!

Last time I did this we lost 6-1 to liverpool!

The restaurant owner set the tv up especially for me too!

Never again. I take full responsibility for this awful result.

(BTW we were absolute shite in the first half)
Probably got what we deserved from this performance.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
We were poor all over the pitch. Kayal was a massive loss, no drive in midfield, sideways and backwards far to often, esp Crofts who could have taken it on several times but did nothing except pass back to centre back. We looked a lot better when Hemed came on. Nice to see Rosenior and Baldock back.

From what I saw on TV they were far more up for it. Closed us down all the time and the first three goals were all about forcing errors from us due to really good pressing and putting defenders under pressure and forcing causing mistakes. This resulted in either chances or free kicks.

We looked awful today. Hope that on Tuesday we put a side out that bosses the game rather than surrenders it.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Not worth its own thread, but in today's other relevant games:

Burnley 1-0 up in home banker
Wednesday being held at Preston
Derby 0-1 down at Brentford

Must be 25-30 mins to go, but could be worse.

D

Deleted member 22389

Not worth its own thread, but in today's other relevant games:

Burnley 1-0 up in home banker
Wednesday being held at Preston
Derby 0-1 down at Brentford

Must be 25-30 mins to go, but could be worse.

Could be a lot lot worse. I would have hoped for a win today, because Tuesday is the harder match of the two.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here