Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Public Sector Strike Day

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
In answer to what else can you do, there are plenty of options. Do you work for the income or are you a principled public servant. if you want to earn more money then the Public Sector may not be for you, have your conditions been changed, has your bonus been cut or hours. Do you still get paid sick leave that is allocated on a yearly basis, are there any dismissals in your sector for poor performance, lateness and absenteeism. If you're a principled public servant then carry on with what you are doing. That you are striking on a principle is very commendable, but you'll still pay the mortgage/rent, feed the family and go on holiday, not really much of a contribution is it. Would you strike for three months? would you survive this and would any of your public notice?
I sit on the outside of this and watched the last efforts and I see a lot of very good people being mugged off and mobilised by the unions, getting angry, defensive and unable to take personal responsibility for their own lives. Tomorrow, todays efforts will be forgotten and next week it will be irrelevant. Sorry, I wish you all the luck, but fear you have been used.

Sorry but this is nonsense. You are basically saying 'You have this already, so put up with whatever they throw at you', you're lucky to have a job blah blah...
I'm not sure you realise why people feel the need to strike. Its not because they are idiots that are blindly following some Union, it's because they can see past all that. They can see the threats around the corner, its the thin end of the wedge. Can you imagine if the strike collapsed, everyone went into work and took the paultry payrise or in most cases put up with no payrise at all. Then what? What about next year and a year after that? If you cave in now you have a cats chance in hell of ever getting a better rise.

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Based on a few experiences you may have had with local government, I do think you do not know what you are talking about. Unless you get your 'knowledge' from the Daily Mail.

I'd suggest it is you whom doesn't know what you're talking about. That statement wasn't just from my experience of the shambolic state of affairs around my benefits claims but also includes 20+ years of working in the private sector within the public sector. That includes working with the MOD, DVLA, DSA, Police, local government, central government, pseudo government organisations such as CAA and NATS, MI5, education and HMRC. But you carry on suggesting I have no experience of how the public sector works.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Sorry but this is nonsense. You are basically saying 'You have this already, so put up with whatever they throw at you', you're lucky to have a job blah blah...
I'm not sure you realise why people feel the need to strike. Its not because they are idiots that are blindly following some Union, it's because they can see past all that. They can see the threats around the corner, its the thin end of the wedge. Can you imagine if the strike collapsed, everyone went into work and took the paultry payrise or in most cases put up with no payrise at all. Then what? What about next year and a year after that? If you cave in now you have a cats chance in hell of ever getting a better rise.

I'm not an advocate of you're lucky to have a job, your words not mine. So tell me whats next, whats around the corner? What do the strikers hope to gain from today? What are they caving in to? Many in the private sector lost their jobs at the onset of the financial problems whilst others had their hours cut and overtime slashed. What did these people do, they considered their options and moved on with their life. If the government was saying to teachers, well to bring you in line with other public sector workers you can only have 28 days holiday then I could understand, but this isn't the case. if there was a shortage of applicants seeking to enter the teaching profession I could also see the point, but this also isn't the case. A day of inaction that has inconvenience some people, annoyed others and cost some union members a days pay.
I genuinely see those on strike in some wider political game, canon fodder as the unions forward some vague, general protest which will achieve little or nothing, this sort of behaviour is anachronistic.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Complete balls.

You are wrong, this is not complete balls. I got the information from this publication:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/public-sector-pay-awards-for-2014-15

I quote:
"NHS staff and salaried doctors: all except the most senior managers will receive one percent additional pay. Those getting a progression pay increase (incremental pay increases for time served in a role typically worth over three percent) will only receive this. This is around 600,000 people (over 50 percent) of NHS staff. Anyone not getting progression pay will get a one percent payment instead."

I have been told today that whilst this is the government directive, that there are people in the NHS who are not receiving this pay award, this is the true scandal.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
history has shown us this doesnt work. cf 1970's.

I'd be interested to hear more about Nibble-economics and how/where money is sitting. We have the whole evening and no football to entertain us.

Frankly you could have your entire life, you still wouldn't comprehend it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes, that's exactly what happened last time. So called strikers worked additional hours before and after the strike and took the day off on flexitime. Absolutely no commitment to the cause and just taking the day off, in addition to those who rang in sick!

When a strike is called, flexitime is not allowed to be used nor is anyone allowed to book a days leave, in my sector anyway. The strike was called because it was voted by the membership, not because the union dictated it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Frankly you could have your entire life, you still wouldn't comprehend it.

no come on, you've dismissed a view on how the economy works, so lets hear how it is.

Dandyman

In London village.
Well put. unfortunately your unions wouldn't put the argument forward in such a measured fashion they will demand inflation + bonkers %, no to modernisation, no performance incentives or consequences for poor performance. and the government will take their intransigent position against them. so nothing moves forward, nothing improves much.

This is the Local Government trade union side claim: https://www.unison.org.uk/upload/sh... Circulars/NJC Pay Claim 2014-15 FINALPDF.pdf

Seems very moderate to me and my professional role is as part of Local Government management.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Just accept I disagree with you and move on, kiss a girl or something.

i made no assertion to agree or disagree with. however i will happily accept you have nothing to teach on economic and move on. shame, its only 2015 and Big Bang will be finshed soon.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
You are wrong, this is not complete balls. I got the information from this publication:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/public-sector-pay-awards-for-2014-15

I quote:
"NHS staff and salaried doctors: all except the most senior managers will receive one percent additional pay. Those getting a progression pay increase (incremental pay increases for time served in a role typically worth over three percent) will only receive this. This is around 600,000 people (over 50 percent) of NHS staff. Anyone not getting progression pay will get a one percent payment instead."

I have been told today that whilst this is the government directive, that there are people in the NHS who are not receiving this pay award, this is the true scandal.

Sorry but this isn't true, (I work in a number of hospitals across the country). However, what is true, is that whilst there has been a 1% pay rise for staff. this is not a consolidated pay rise, and therefore could disappear next year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here