Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Public Sector Strike Day

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
why aren't you on some picketline?

Why do you ask? There's a maximum number of people allowed on a picketline outside most public sector buildings.

Regarding those giving up a days pay, hmmm, last time we had this farce most of those who went on strike in my partners office, used their flexitime to compensate.

If they used their flexitime they weren't on strike. If they compensated by working more, surely that's overtime? Not sure your partners office knows what they're doing, or you don't.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'm not asking for special treatment and over the top pay rises. When the country was teetering on the brink of final collapse, it was hard medicine but I accepted 2 years of zero pay rises, restructuring of my pension, 35% cuts in staffing. But, looking at the economy now things look far better than in 2009 and you can bet your bottom dollar that this Govt will trumpet that out loud and clear come election time. I am asking for fair treatment. Average earnings and CPI are around 1.5%. I would accept that as a fair settlement. But this Govt is ideological driven. It doesn't see fairness.

As for modernisation of the public sector. Please, lets have it. Lets have improved IT that actually works. Lets have a culture where staff who make improvements are rewarded for those improvements - that doesn't really happen in the Public Sector. And yes, poor performance and rudeness should not be tolerated. But, I hasten to add that poor performance or customer service isn't just restricted to the public sector. Have you tried calling Electricity, Gas, phone, banking companies for assistance?

Well put. unfortunately your unions wouldn't put the argument forward in such a measured fashion they will demand inflation + bonkers %, no to modernisation, no performance incentives or consequences for poor performance. and the government will take their intransigent position against them. so nothing moves forward, nothing improves much.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Why do you ask? There's a maximum number of people allowed on a picketline outside most public sector buildings.

So why is he not there, who's winning and losing here, the poster loses a days pay, the public miss a day of his service and the government/taxpayer saves a days pay. Do you know what the absentee rate is in the public sector? Tell the teachers to go on strike in August, they're all being manipulated by the union in some pseudo grievance, we all have issues in our working lives but we don't behave like this, it'll be another misfire again I feel.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
So why is he not there, who's winning and losing here, the poster loses a days pay, the public miss a day of his service and the government/taxpayer saves a days pay. Do you know what the absentee rate is in the public sector? Tell the teachers to go on strike in August, they're all being manipulated by the union in some pseudo grievance, we all have issues in our working lives but we don't behave like this, it'll be another misfire again I feel.

Unions Manipulating workers? Yes Millions manipulated by the few lol! You could turn that around and say that Millions in this country are misled and manipulated by our Government.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Sorry, I don't want to be rude..........but you are talking rubbish.

I'll answer your questions in the order that they came

Why am I on strike? Read my post again. For a fair pay rise which I have benchmarked at around 1.5%. which is what CPI and average earnings are. If you find that excessive, I would love to know why.

I mentioned Micheal Gove because in the news today he said that this strike is being conducted by militant trade union members. Total cods wallop. As[ my posts says, normally I am not militant in any way and many of my colleagues are not militant either. Its a picture that Michael Gove wants to paint. I hope you look beyond what Ministers say. I described Michael Gove as ideological driven - which I think is closer to the truth.

I agree todays strike has zero % chance of succeeding. But what else can I do? The Govt is not listening, so this my protest. Albeit an expensive one. Hopefully, you have some principles.

Do you really believe that an employer would tolerate its staff walking out and still paying them (albeit flexi time)?

Why have I been mugged? Whose Ideology? I made my own mind up thank you, based on the facts.

Why am I not on a picket line? Is that a badge of honour? Does everyone on strike need to picket?

QUOTE=Brighton Mod;6441851]I read with interest what you have written, but still struggle to see the reason why you are on strike. Is it because Michael Gove is ideologically motivated? Thats a very high principle to go out on strike for and has zero percent chance of succeeding in whatever way you expect. Regarding those giving up a days pay, hmmm, last time we had this farce most of those who went on strike in my partners office, used their flexitime to compensate. I reckon you've been mugged off for a days pay by another ideaology. Good luck for today and why aren't you on some picketline?[/QUOTE]

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Funny that when it's just the teachers go out we get slated on here, but when we do it as part of a wider public sector strike the general atmosphere is quite supportive.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I don't mind an imposed "fair" settlement

Well put. unfortunately your unions wouldn't put the argument forward in such a measured fashion they will demand inflation + bonkers %, no to modernisation, no performance incentives or consequences for poor performance. and the government will take their intransigent position against them. so nothing moves forward, nothing improves much.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Pringle anybody?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I would love a box right now. What flavour(s) do you have? I'll swap you with a healthy, but slightly over ripe banana

No thanks.... besides i have moved onto the salt your own smiths crisps now..

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
The private sector is always quicker to react to changes in the economic outlook than the public sector. To some point it is the nature of the beast so to speak, a big unwieldly organisation like NHS cannot change overnight. So when the recession hit people employed in private industry saw their wages stagnate far earlier than those in local government, they also saw industry shedding jobs at a far faster rate than could ever be achieved by a publicly funded body. The last 10 years have also seen the nigh on disappearance of fat pension schemes that are still being enjoyed by many in local authority employment.

None of this has been painless for anyone. But my point is this, the public sector takes far longer to make necessary savings and cuts and therefore the issues that need to be tackled take longer to be addressed, and as sure as night follows day we still have a budget deficit. Once that is eradicated higher pay rises and increased staffing can be considered. Even then teachers and firefighters will still fight against having to work longer, whereas others no longer have anything to fight against on this topic, the law has already been changed. In essence, the private sector was first in and is now first out of the recession, the public sector is, as ever, a few years behind.

Let's not kid ourselves, the last "lefties" Labour Government were booted out with Callaghan in '79. Blair was just Thatcher with a slightly more active social consience and a better smile.

This is the truth of it. When Thatcher was asked what her greatest achievement was, she replied "New Labour". The current crop of Millionaires are far more interested in restoring hunting rights, privatisation and PFI profits than public sector workers welfare.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
My better half works as a nurse on the Trevor Mann unit in Brighton and am sure she's saved a few little lives over the years. She not even going to get the 1% pay rise as she gained a promotion last month. Find hard how some on here say the services are useless. Oh and nurses aren't allowed to strike.

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
My better half works as a nurse on the Trevor Mann unit in Brighton and am sure she's saved a few little lives over the years. She not even going to get the 1% pay rise as she gained a promotion last month. Find hard how some on here say the services are useless. Oh and nurses aren't allowed to strike.

Will she get the 3% incremental progression? According to the governemnt, all NHS will get either 3% or 1% pay rise

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
Funding a pay increase and doing nothing to control the increasing cost of public sector pensions can only be covered by increasing borrowing and or cutting costs(job losses) is this a simplistic view or is there another answer.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Will she get the 3% incremental progression? According to the governemnt, all NHS will get either 3% or 1% pay rise

Yeah she got the increment pay rise as she was promoted. Where I work I also got promotion and I also got an annual pay rise so I count Myself lucky.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
My wifes a teacher, high end management and hasnt striked.

Having survived self employment prior to her change of career we seem to feel she is getting a decent wage for a decent months work.

Its pretty secure and the guaranteed monthly wage offers some longer term security, our background offers a different interpretation to her current position.

Perhaps others have gone to school, college, Uni and then public sector work, not all but some can live in their own public sector bubble with all of its benefits and internal strife's.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here