Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Please: can we just focus on this season?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I find it hard not to think of the next season. In March I had 3 weeks in Portugal where the weather was colder than here, came home to early fruit blossom and asparagus at the allotment and day after day of beautiful weather. In my heart Spring has sprung and Summer is here.

Your asparagus has appeared? Mine hasn't. And I live in the centre of the garden of England, with the UK's record hottest day, and all that. What's going on? :shrug::lolol:

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Loads of threads about next season already, and whilst our position is undoubtedly great, there's still work to do. But that's not my point.

I've been watching the Albion since I was ten years old, and for thirty odd years since, I've been dreaming about being where we are now. Last season was close, but this season looks like it is, finally, going to be the one. I've watched more crap players than I care to remember, at the Goldstone, at the Pissfield and at Withdean as well as the Amex, and this current squad is easily the best I've ever had the pleasure of watching. I've seen five promotions, but none will be as sweet as this one- if we do it- because we finally have an infrastructure that can support it. And because the thousands lost during the years in exile, or slumming it at Withdean, are back, along with a generation of new fans who run around football pitches in Preston Park and Hove Park and Worthing and Lancing and Burgess Hill and Eastbourne and Horsham and so on, wearing Albion shirts instead of Chelsea or Liverpool ones. Because if we do it this time, it's going to be huge.

We have five games to go, and every chance of wrapping things up. We need to savour it, to enjoy it, and to roar the players on to that point and beyond. Let's not go on about players for next season, or chances of survival, or ticket prices in the Premier League yet. That's for later times, and the current players deserve more respect. I'm pretty sure nobody at Loftus Road yesterday was thinking about signings as we danced around for long after the players had walked off.

Let us just soak up these last few weeks, while Chris & the players hopefully finish things off in style. Sit back...enjoy...treasure it...worry about the rest later!

One of the most sensible posts I've ever read on NSC. Agree 100%.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
I've been focusing so much on how many points we need and watching every Huddersfield result come in that I completely forgot that we would be in the premiership if we do go up. Is it just me that keeps looking at the table everyday ? Not because it's nice to see us in the top two but working out every scenario in my head

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I've been focusing so much on how many points we need and watching every Huddersfield result come in that I completely forgot that we would be in the premiership if we do go up. Is it just me that keeps looking at the table everyday ? Not because it's nice to see us in the top two but working out every scenario in my head

Ban! :amex:

Seriously though. Let's focus our fight on winning the league. That's the attitude we need to go up!

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Ah man I wish I could come to Brighton :( Wearing the stripes in Cape Town today. Had my photo taken 3 times. Cant wait for nex season (if it happens) to be able to watch, all prem games on telly here.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Well said... let's be mathematically certain, then, and only then, should we as fans start banging on about what is needed next season...
I can't work out if this is an ironic post or not so apologies if it is and i have missed it? This is absolutely not what the OP is suggesting... This season is all about enjoying it right to the very end, especially as we are more than likely to have something massive to play for in the Midlands on the last day of the season

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
This is living history, we are living through possibly the greatest chapter in the lifetime of our club. I understand how tempting it is to extrapolate and speculate but, as Edna has urged, we must live completely in the moment. To fail to do so is to partially deny feeling the sense of the utter enormity of what is happening. These times will be talked about in 10, 20, 50, 100 years time and we are privileged to be actually here and now, living through these events as they happen and as the stories we will pass down to our grandchildren are created, experiencing the astronomic highs, the moments of total but unjustified uncertainty, the occassional lows, insatiable curiosity about the fortunes of other teams, unable to sleep at night, thinking about little else 24/7, willing and urging our club ever onwards and upwards.......

:clap2:

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Wise words from a wise lady. I have looked at these so called future posts and have enjoyed the content but have abstained from commenting until we are certain we are up, as the football gods are very fickle and I don't want to tempt fate.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
You could almost look at Albion's history as a game of snakes and ladders.
A final roll of the dice that will ensure Chris Hughton will be remembered in the clubs folklore history, as the manager who finally took us to the promised land of the Premier League.
(Alan Mullery aside for the 1st division :thumbsup:)
Fans who will remember the past, and fans who don't and should, will glory in the next few weeks, to what will be a MASSIVE celebration, wherever they are in the world.
Me personally will buy a very expensive bottle of Italian red, and celebrate the above :albion2:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Why can't you enjoy both? Surely it's the prospect of what potentially lies ahead that makes the present so fantastic!

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Edna is spot on. My first experience of promotion was Pat Saward's 1972 team and the next season was one humiliation after another - 6-2 at Blackpool in only the second game, then Millwall, Fulham, a record run of games without a win, all horrible. But I still remember the unbelievable rush of those fantastic last-gasp wins over Torquay, Wrexham, Rotherham and the rest in the promotion run-in. These are days we'll look back on, people. Savour them.

13 defeats in a row!!!!

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Loads of threads about next season already, and whilst our position is undoubtedly great, there's still work to do. But that's not my point.

I've been watching the Albion since I was ten years old, and for thirty odd years since, I've been dreaming about being where we are now. Last season was close, but this season looks like it is, finally, going to be the one. I've watched more crap players than I care to remember, at the Goldstone, at the Pissfield and at Withdean as well as the Amex, and this current squad is easily the best I've ever had the pleasure of watching. I've seen five promotions, but none will be as sweet as this one- if we do it- because we finally have an infrastructure that can support it. And because the thousands lost during the years in exile, or slumming it at Withdean, are back, along with a generation of new fans who run around football pitches in Preston Park and Hove Park and Worthing and Lancing and Burgess Hill and Eastbourne and Horsham and so on, wearing Albion shirts instead of Chelsea or Liverpool ones. Because if we do it this time, it's going to be huge.

We have five games to go, and every chance of wrapping things up. We need to savour it, to enjoy it, and to roar the players on to that point and beyond. Let's not go on about players for next season, or chances of survival, or ticket prices in the Premier League yet. That's for later times, and the current players deserve more respect. I'm pretty sure nobody at Loftus Road yesterday was thinking about signings as we danced around for long after the players had walked off.

Let us just soak up these last few weeks, while Chris & the players hopefully finish things off in style. Sit back...enjoy...treasure it...worry about the rest later!
Has to be one of the best posts ever on nsc.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Spot on Edna as always.

For a very long time we have suffered some of the shittiest times of any football club. The last six years have been on a different level (Hyppia aside) and this season is the icing on the cake. Enjoy it now because these great times don't happen enough.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I'm just enjoying the fact that Huddersfield have to win their next tree games and us to lose the next three without worrying. I think that mentally Wagner and the Huddersfield players will be focussing on the playoffs because they have to win every game to stand any hope. Yesterday they looked worse than us on a bad day and they have been found out by another organised team at the bottom.

Even if Huddersfield averaged 2 points a game, which is promotion form, they still wouldn't catch us and my focus has shifted from promotion to winning the title which will be massive for this club.

12 points ahead of 3rd is a dream position to be in and I am not worried about what happens next year, that's Hughtons job.

Quietly content without feeling smug is my feeling.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here